BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Different types of piggyback tuning installs

09-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
m550 BOS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 m550i

Different types of piggyback tuning installs

Hi All

I know this information is out there scattered but since I just ordered a 2019 m550 that should be here in a few weeks I figure there's no harm is starting my own thread I can work off of going forward . I've been looking into options for a tune and have a few questions about the tunes in general .

In terms of complexity of install are all the piggyback tunes the same or are some more simplistic than others . For example , are some just a controller I can plug into the obd port inside the car and I'm good to go? Others require me to get under the hood and plug into a few sensors and the ecu?

Can any of them be controlled by my phone/ laptop or tuned up and down easily once installed ?

I appreciate any feedback

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I am not sure about other brands, but I have been selling and installing RaceChip products for the past 4 years.
Even though I also sells Dinan, it doesn't move as good as the RaceChip, I don't know why.

For M550iX, it requires 2 connection inside the engine bay.
Currently, there is no app function available yet, otherwise you will be able to change the driving mode from your phone.
But, even without the app function, changing the map is not that hard. There are "+" and "-" button on the module's housing, so you can always change the map easily.
Besides, once you are set on the map that you like, you will never change it down again.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0