F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Replacing internals of the key fob
Extreme Powerhouse

09-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
grabbou
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 812SF, E46 M3, S560 Coupe

Replacing internals of the key fob

Hey,

My key doesn't work properly - the BMW logo doesn't open/close the doors and it charges out pretty quickly (after more or less 2 weeks, the warning about low battery starts popping out and a week after, it doesn't work anymore). During my research at the dealership, we have found out it has been washed by the previous owner and that the plastic body of the key has signs of being open and repaired.

This is apparently an issue with some electronics inside the key fob, but I've been wondering if it would be possible to sort of "transplant" the chip responsible for holding VIN and other security information onto another key fob?

I happen to have another one that used to belong to another car from F* series that works w/o issues. Don't want to spend lots of cash on getting a new one (approx. 400USD where I live, including coding - I am better with buying 50 CR2450 batteries or a rechargeable one).

Anyone on the forum has done such work before?
Appreciate 0