Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Track Setup - 335i e90

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
JF
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90 ZSP,ZPP,CA,MB

Track Setup - 335i e90

Hi,

I track my e90 335i ZSP and want to buy a set of dedicated wheels and tires. I'm currently considering putting 245 X 45 X 17 to 4 corners (40mm offset).

Will 245s fit the front without rubbing?

The kit I'm considering:

Wheels: Kosei K1 - 17 X 8.5
Tires: Falken Azenis RT-615 - 245 X 45 X 17

Anyone has experience with a similar kit?

Thanks,
JF
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cant comment on the actual setup for E90's but i would suggest you stay away from RT615's if you plan on tracking. They are great tires for autocross because they heat up quick and grip like hell. But they get greasy VERY easily and once some heat gets into them, you'll be sliding everywhere. I know the price vs performance of the Azenis makes it very attractive but dont skimp out on tires. My friend went with Azenis to track and he ended up selling them the day after the event. Once they get too much heat in them and get greasy, the tires are down right dangerous.
      06-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
wushuhsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sports Sedan

What about Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec on the track? They're also supposed to heat up quickly for autocrossses. Does anyone have any experience with them on the track?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuhsu View Post
What about Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec on the track? They're also supposed to heat up quickly for autocrossses. Does anyone have any experience with them on the track?
No personal experience for them, but the reviews have been awesome for those tires. Excellent grip, good traction in wet conditions, treadwear is not too bad either so you can drive it to and from the track, easy to control at the limit and its very responsive. These are all just things ive heard from people that have personally run them.

Those will probably be my next choice in tires once i kill off my Kumhos.
      06-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
JF
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Cant comment on the actual setup for E90's but i would suggest you stay away from RT615's if you plan on tracking. They are great tires for autocross because they heat up quick and grip like hell. But they get greasy VERY easily and once some heat gets into them, you'll be sliding everywhere. I know the price vs performance of the Azenis makes it very attractive but dont skimp out on tires. My friend went with Azenis to track and he ended up selling them the day after the event. Once they get too much heat in them and get greasy, the tires are down right dangerous.
Thanks for your comment.

I heard that this problem may be caused by over inflating the tires. I think you need to keep them near 30 PSI hot.

Have you heard better feedback about the Hankook Ventus R-S2?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
JF
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuhsu View Post
Thanks for this recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF View Post
Thanks for your comment.

I heard that this problem may be caused by over inflating the tires. I think you need to keep them near 30 PSI hot.

Have you heard better feedback about the Hankook Ventus R-S2?
Everyone i've known that ran the Azenis had the same problem of them greasing up way too fast so take it for what its worth.

Ventus R-S2 is supposedly a great tire for track. I've seen a alot of reviews comparing them to Bridgestone S0-3's for a fraction of the cost. I know its very popular with the s2000 crowd.
      06-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
JF
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Everyone i've known that ran the Azenis had the same problem of them greasing up way too fast so take it for what its worth.

Ventus R-S2 is supposedly a great tire for track. I've seen a alot of reviews comparing them to Bridgestone S0-3's for a fraction of the cost. I know its very popular with the s2000 crowd.
OK. It would probably be between the Hankook and Dunlop then. I'll read more about them. Thanks!

Anyone can confirm that 245s will not touch the fender or suspension at the front corners under full load?

In the meantime, here's a picture of me and my e90 at the track with OEM tires...

JF
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
JF
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I called Tire Rack and they confirmed that 245s will not rub in the front but this is the limit for stock suspension.

I ordered the Hankook Ventus R-S2 mounted on the Kosei K1 Racing.

Thanks for your help guys!
JF
Appreciate 0