BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Things to do for my M2C upon arrival.

09-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

Things to do for my M2C upon arrival.

Hey guys,

Wanted to discuss what should be done with my M2C upon arrival. Here's what I'm thinking let me know your guys opinions!

Ceramic coating (maybe ceramic pro though I've heard of cheaper alternatives that are as good)
Oil catch can: now I've been told from some this isn't important and others this is very important, what are your guys opinions on this.
Once the front skirt comes in I've already got side skirt and rear diffuser I'd love to have that installed.
Is there anything I'm missing that you guys believe are worth doing with my car upon arrival to keep it in great condition considering it will be a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protatomonster View Post
Hey guys,

Wanted to discuss what should be done with my M2C upon arrival. Here's what I'm thinking let me know your guys opinions!

Ceramic coating (maybe ceramic pro though I've heard of cheaper alternatives that are as good)
Oil catch can: now I've been told from some this isn't important and others this is very important, what are your guys opinions on this.
Once the front skirt comes in I've already got side skirt and rear diffuser I'd love to have that installed.
Is there anything I'm missing that you guys believe are worth doing with my car upon arrival to keep it in great condition considering it will be a daily driver.
I'm very happy I did PPF on car front end and larger piece on rear fender and just behind fender. Skipped rockers, wish I hadn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protatomonster View Post
Hey guys,

I'm very happy I did PPF on car front end and larger piece on rear fender and just behind fender. Skipped rockers, wish I hadn't.
How much did it cost around to do?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 12:25 AM   #4
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Get all the body parts installed that you can straight away. Then drive straight to the detailers and have film put on and ceramic coating over that.

Now you can break her in.

After that you can start learning how to drive her and what you want to enhance based on what you have experienced first-hand.
      09-02-2018, 12:46 AM   #5
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Don't apply ceramic coating before PPF. ceramic only helps with the gloss and makes washing the slightly easier. It cannot protect the paint from rock chips.
Appreciate 2
kfscoll208.50
devo755.00
      09-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
acexxion rear reflector delete if you don't want to do anything performance-wise
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 06:40 PM   #7
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

The one thing i do on every new car before i write the check is to go over it with a paint gauge. New cars today only have 4-5 Mil (000) of paint this includes primer ,color and the clear. If you have one panel that is 8 you know its been repaired at port. My M2C had 4.1-5.3 mil my Gt4 4.7-5.6. I have tested probably 80 cars on lots over the last few years and paint has gotten thinner. My 2012 TTRS was 7-9 Mil and the non standard Porsche colors are 6-7 mil i thick because their done off line? I learned this the hard way. I had a 14 981S that i had to have a clear bra replaced and a chunk of paint came off with it. Upon close inspection you could where it had been repainted and blended in. carl
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl44 View Post
The one thing i do on every new car before i write the check is to go over it with a paint gauge. New cars today only have 4-5 Mil (000) of paint this includes primer ,color and the clear. If you have one panel that is 8 you know its been repaired at port. My M2C had 4.1-5.3 mil my Gt4 4.7-5.6. I have tested probably 80 cars on lots over the last few years and paint has gotten thinner. My 2012 TTRS was 7-9 Mil and the non standard Porsche colors are 6-7 mil i thick because their done off line? I learned this the hard way. I had a 14 981S that i had to have a clear bra replaced and a chunk of paint came off with it. Upon close inspection you could where it had been repainted and blended in. carl
What would you do if a panel had been repainted at port though? Ask for a discount?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
acexxion rear reflector delete if you don't want to do anything performance-wise

Which spoiler is that? Looks great.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #10
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
Which spoiler is that? Looks great.
RKP
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #11
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
What would you do if a panel had been repainted at port though? Ask for a discount?
I would pass because if a buyer asked if there was paint work done, i would have to disclose it. That then affects the value of the car.

The dealer probably wont discount it because the odds are the next person wouldn't have a clue and they aren't going to disclose it if they don't have to. carl
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
RKP
That spoiler is so nice looking. Still shows it backordered at IND though....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #13
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaney View Post
Quote:
RKP
That spoiler is so nice looking. Still shows it backordered at IND though....
I'm selling mine, but can't find a box to ship it in
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_M2 View Post
Don't apply ceramic coating before PPF. ceramic only helps with the gloss and makes washing the slightly easier. It cannot protect the paint from rock chips.
Agreed and a total waste of money to apply under PPF.

PPF is a must for me.

Ceramic is a little cost prohibitive imo; especially when added to a proper PPF application. However, if going with CC apply over PPF.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #15
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Agreed and a total waste of money to apply under PPF.

PPF is a must for me.

Ceramic is a little cost prohibitive imo; especially when added to a proper PPF application. However, if going with CC apply over PPF.
Ceramic can be VERY cost-friendly. It never fails to amaze me why anyone would spend THOUSANDS on Ceramic Pro. Sure, I can see why one wouldn't have the time or inclination to spend the time learning how to do the polishing and decontamination required prior to a ceramic coating, but application of a ceramic coating is easier than most waxes or sealants.

I'm sure that the Ceramic Pro vendors will argue that their product lasts for years (and even offer a lifetime warranty - as long as you do the annual "top-up" maintenance treatment), but regardless of what you use, you're going to have to repolish in a couple or few years no matter how great your washing/paint care abilities are. As such, why wouldn't you just apply a ceramic coating yourself, every two years? They cost less than $100. Paying up to $2000 for Ceramic Pro is a joke. The paint will require redoing in a couple of years regardless of what you apply.

If you have a PPF applied, put a coat of CQuartz UK 3.0 on it, wait an hour, and reapply another layer. Maintain it well with a ceramic topper like Reload. For two to three years, your car will look as good, and be just as well protected as the car with Ceramic Pro on it.

Sorry - end of rant. This is a big pet peeve of mine lol
devo755.00
brocurls263.00
Ramos862.50
      09-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #16
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
Ceramic can be VERY cost-friendly. It never fails to amaze me why anyone would spend THOUSANDS on Ceramic Pro. Sure, I can see why one wouldn't have the time or inclination to spend the time learning how to do the polishing and decontamination required prior to a ceramic coating, but application of a ceramic coating is easier than most waxes or sealants.

I'm sure that the Ceramic Pro vendors will argue that their product lasts for years (and even offer a lifetime warranty - as long as you do the annual "top-up" maintenance treatment), but regardless of what you use, you're going to have to repolish in a couple or few years no matter how great your washing/paint care abilities are. As such, why wouldn't you just apply a ceramic coating yourself, every two years? They cost less than $100. Paying up to $2000 for Ceramic Pro is a joke. The paint will require redoing in a couple of years regardless of what you apply.

If you have a PPF applied, put a coat of CQuartz UK 3.0 on it, wait an hour, and reapply another layer. Maintain it well with a ceramic topper like Reload. For two to three years, your car will look as good, and be just as well protected as the car with Ceramic Pro on it.

Sorry - end of rant. This is a big pet peeve of mine lol
How involved is the preparatory polishing and decon and how easy is it for the average DIY ? I would imagine this is where some higher costs are involved. Yes, I agree these ridiculous ceramic application costs are just that...

Last edited by devo; 09-03-2018 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #17
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
How involved is the preparatory polishing and decon and how easy is it for the average DIY ? I would imagine this is where some higher costs are involved. Yes, I agree these ridiculous ceramic application costs are just that...
It's not THAT hard. Hey, if I can do it, a dead goat could probably pull it off hahaha.

The technique is basically to wash the car well. Then decontaminate - I like to use Iron X to remove an embedded iron (from rail cars, during delivery), then clay bar (I use a mitt, which works the same).

The trickiest part is the polishing/compounding, to remove swirl marks, or deeper scratches. There are a million different compounds for this - in basic terms, mild polishing, medium cutting, and aggressive compounding. I rarely ever use a really aggressive compound. I really like Menzerna products.

There are also tons of different machines to use - from least to most aggressive - random orbital (see Porter Cable 7424 XP), forced rotation (see Flex XC 3401 VRG), and rotary. I rarely ever use a full rotary.

There are of course a bazillion pads to use with these machines - ranging from basically no polishing/least aggressive, to coarse, very aggressive. I almost always use a medium cut foam pad - Lake Country orange CCS pads, but there are SO many different choices.

You could easily just get a Porter Cable polisher, a few 5.5" Lake Country orange pads, and a few 5.5" white pads (for finishing, if needed), Menzerna MC 2400, and do 90% of the cars out there. And, you wouldn't have to worry about damaging the paint at all with the Porter Cable - the nature of its rotation precludes any damage.

I learned myself, by reading the Autopia forum. Now, I get to do some really awesome cars from my driving group. The guys insist on paying me, so I donate it to the local animal shelter. Win-win-win situation, hahaha.

Little self-aggrandizement, here, but I did a buddy's Gallardo Superleggera, and Autopia featured it on their front page, and on FaceBook!

https://www.autopia.org/forums/click...tml?highlight=

This is my car:

https://www.autopia.org/forums/click...tml?highlight=

So, to answer your question, it's NOT hard, at all. It just takes time. For most of us that really look after our cars' paint jobs, detailing a car's paint isn't hard at all. You could do an entire car from start to finish - wash, decontaminate, clay, polish, and ceramic coat, in one day. That Superleggera took me over 50 hours!
For less than a third of what a Ceramic Pro installer would charge to apply a coating (not even including the preparation/detailing prior to application), you could purchase all of the stuff you needed to keep your car detailed and coated to perfection, more or less forever!

Sorry for the long-winded reply - I'm a family doc by profession, but I absolutely love spending the time with cars, and getting them looking perfect. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. I would be glad to help in any way I can. I'm not a professional detailer, but I know more than a little about it

It's WELL within the capabilities of anyone. There's no magic to it. There of course are some cars that are trickier - especially ones that are trashed, but the majority of guys that will take the time to do their own cars will have paint that's in great shape to begin with. Super easy - takes a little bit of attention to detail, but it is very, very far from difficult. I have shown the guys in my driving group what I do, and several of them now detail their own, mega-expensive Lambos, Ferraris, and Porsches.

Last edited by TTBear; 09-03-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 8
devo755.00
cptobvious2531.50
MR_M2519.00
///M Houbi1655.00
mtechnik3415.00
      09-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #18
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep

@TTBear Is the ceramic coating something I could do at home immediately after PPF is applied at a shop? Or at least with just a wash before.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #19
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
I'm selling mine, but can't find a box to ship it in
Is it hard to get off? I'm concerned about switching the oem spoiler when mine arrives. don't want to screw up the paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #20
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
@TTBear Is the ceramic coating something I could do at home immediately after PPF is applied at a shop? Or at least with just a wash before.
I would think so. That's what I have done on my last few cars.

PPF isn't like clear coat paint. It doesn't need time to cure.
      09-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #21
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaney View Post
Is it hard to get off? I'm concerned about switching the oem spoiler when mine arrives. don't want to screw up the paint.
no. heat gun + adhesive remover + fishing line is all you need to remove the oem spoiler
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #22
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
no. heat gun + adhesive remover + fishing line is all you need to remove the oem spoiler
I bought some 3M adhesive remover. Made it pretty easy, though still somewhat time consuming.
Appreciate 0