BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > How did you get your allocation?

View Poll Results: How did you get your M2C allocation / car?
Long-term relationship with a dealership 14 30.43%
Put my name on a list and I rose to the top of the list 12 26.09%
Seems nobody else was asking, so I called dibs first 15 32.61%
Walked in, there it was, bought it 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

08-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

How did you get your allocation?

Esteemed colleagues,

Just curious how you got your allocation. I ask because I've heard some folks say that they've had decades long relationships with their dealers, others meanwhile just happened to walk into a dealership and an M2C had just rolled off the truck and the intended buyer pulled out so... dumb, blind luck!

For example, I walked into a dealership, asked about the M2C, and apparently nobody else had claimed the allocation, so I just happened to get it. Meanwhile, today, I walked into another dealership in the area, asked about the M2C's availability, and was told, "We have a waiting list and we stop taking names after it's 10 people deep. Sorry, bro, but it's gonna be a long wait."

Would be interesting to see how it is that everyone here got theirs.

Last edited by cptobvious; 08-28-2018 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

I bailed on my 2018 lci m2 order in November 2017. Somebody else picked it up quick. Once the m2 comp rumors started rolling in, I came to the conclusion that the comp would be worthwhile and a reasonable price increase. So I ended up with the first allocation at my dealer which is a September build.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #3
SD08
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 comp

Simply contacted them February 1st, asked to be first on the list.... any means possible lol
Luckily, I was told I would be the first person in line for an allocation at that dealer
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

i contacted a local dealership and they played the "we have allocation, just unsure when" game, went to another dealership and they got me week 40 production begin allocation so I'm hoping this all goes through smoothly!
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

I was interested in the M2C when I heard about it around April this year - have been off the forum for a while. I asked my SA (that I purchased my m235 from) about it at the time and he told me more info re pricing would be available in May.

I decided the weekend before all the reviews were to be released (July 30 I think ?) that I would pay a visit to my sales associate and expressed interest in ordering one. He said there was a September build that was coming to the dealership that could be modified if I wanted it amd that would be the earliest car I could get. If I wanted to get it in the early spring there were allocations for a December build. I told him I want the September build.

It seems there were quite a few deposits but a few dropped off once the pricing and details were announced. Some people were hoping for a CS or lightweight model - plus in Canada we get a fully loaded model only at $71,250 so there was a healthy price jump from the 2018 model.

I didn’t jump on the original M2 as I couldn’t justify the price difference with the m235i given the difference between the 2 cars (as I got the m235 the year before the release of the M2) but I feel there enough of a difference now given the tweaks and add ons to jump to the real deal now.

2014 911 Carrera S, Agate grey, black int, 7spd manual

2019 M2C, HKS, 6 spd Manual. (Sold)
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Kind of neither of the above options. My long term dealer decided they wanted 10k ADM so I walked. While in their parking lot I called another dealer that I heard good things about. They had someone that had backed out and said if I was willing to put 5K down today, they'll give me the allocation at MSRP. Still waiting as I'm week 40 for the build.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:56 PM   #7
yaymitch
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Got on waiting list at 2 dealers. One back in January 2017 and the other October 2017. Was #2 and #3. ended up taking the #2 slot.
      08-29-2018, 12:14 AM   #8
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wow. It sounds like a good number of folks sort of knew, in way or another, that something like the M2C was coming, all the way back in 2017 and got on lists even back then?

I've been living under a rock. I didn't even know the M2 existed until June of this year - I was at my dealership getting service on my 328i, and I saw a LBB M2 and thought, "Man, what is that? That car looks like the business!"

I only inquired about an allocation at the beginning of July of this year, and my dealership happened to have 1 allocation and they gave it to me. I just don't understand how it went unclaimed when other dealerships have waiting lists 10 people long!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #9
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

We have an almost 30 year relationship with our dealer.
So I asked the CEO per whatsapp about one and a half years ago already: If there is a /faster/spicier M2 in the pipeline I want to be first on your list.

He told me they don't work with lists in general

Me being a car guy and reading everything about upcoming models etc got the news too, april 2018 M2Competition.

But I told myself: Not many changes apart from the S55. My car isn't even two years old (now 18000 miles as we speak) etcetera.

So I kept it the way it was...
In the meantime visiting my dealership drinking coffee about three times but not talking about M2C.

But in july all the reviews went online and they were very positive.

And about a month ago on the Autobahn in Germany (very hot day) my stock M2 went in limpmode while doing 130mph.
Stopped the car and everything was fine after a minute or so. This was the second time in two years. But still.

I track my car, do driftdays with it, was on the Nordschleife with it etcetera.

So I went to the dealership wednesday august first and asked if they have an allocation and if not, so be it, I'm just late and there are probably sold one ore two...

No I was the first

Week 37 production date(mid sept) and I can collect it october 1st.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-29-2018, 12:35 AM   #10
GOGTRR
Rep
Drives: IG: @gogtrr

I am number 8 on one list but recently one dealer told me they have an open allocation and gave it to me. I've never ordered a BMW so now I am wondering what to expect when I go in this Saturday to do paperwork and possibly a deposit. Any suggestions on negotiating MSRP with applicable discounts and what a reasonable deposit to pay would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to pay a markup!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 12:57 AM   #11
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Wow. It sounds like a good number of folks sort of knew, in way or another, that something like the M2C was coming, all the way back in 2017 and got on lists even back then?

I've been living under a rock. I didn't even know the M2 existed until June of this year - I was at my dealership getting service on my 328i, and I saw a LBB M2 and thought, "Man, what is that? That car looks like the business!"

I only inquired about an allocation at the beginning of July of this year, and my dealership happened to have 1 allocation and they gave it to me. I just don't understand how it went unclaimed when other dealerships have waiting lists 10 people long!
Yes, I suspect most of the people on these boards have known about the M2C for quite a while. We usually have a ton more information than our sales advisors . I sent an email enquiring about the car to my unknowing SA about 8 months before it was announced. He had no clue and had to refer to HQ.

I believe I was like the 3rd person requesting an allocation for the car, after announcement.
In Belgium, interest definitely isn't as big as in the US for instance. Tax regulations are quite steep for these type of cars in Europe. I could get a Tesla S, which is +/-€30k more expensive at purchase if I count all taxes I'll be paying over 3 years (registration tax, corporate tax, income tax...), but where's the fun in that? .
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-29-2018, 12:58 AM   #12
SD08
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGTRR View Post
I am number 8 on one list but recently one dealer told me they have an open allocation and gave it to me. I've never ordered a BMW so now I am wondering what to expect when I go in this Saturday to do paperwork and possibly a deposit. Any suggestions on negotiating MSRP with applicable discounts and what a reasonable deposit to pay would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to pay a markup!
the best youll be able to do for a m2c for the time being is MSRP.
Many dealers in different regions are even asking 5k markup. So consider yourself lucky if you can get msrp for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:46 AM   #13
Alec02
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: M2C SO MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
We have an almost 30 year relationship with our dealer.
So I asked the CEO per whatsapp about one and a half years ago already: If there is a /faster/spicier M2 in the pipeline I want to be first on your list.

He told me they don't work with lists in general

Me being a car guy and reading everything about upcoming models etc got the news too, april 2018 M2Competition.

But I told myself: Not many changes apart from the S55. My car isn't even two years old (now 18000 miles as we speak) etcetera.

So I kept it the way it was...
In the meantime visiting my dealership drinking coffee about three times but not talking about M2C.

But in july all the reviews went online and they were very positive.

And about a month ago on the Autobahn in Germany (very hot day) my stock M2 went in limpmode while doing 130mph.
Stopped the car and everything was fine after a minute or so. This was the second time in two years. But still.

I track my car, do driftdays with it, was on the Nordschleife with it etcetera.

So I went to the dealership wednesday august first and asked if they have an allocation and if not, so be it, I'm just late and there are probably sold one ore two...

No I was the first

Week 37 production date(mid sept) and I can collect it october 1st.

Cheers
Robin
Similar story except long relationship with dealer. Ordered 26th July, week 37 confirmed for me also.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #14
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I saw it in my Apple News feed in April and loved it. I sort of liked the previous M2 but something about it didn’t completely grab me. Close but at AUD$110k no cigar. But when I saw the new one looking so much nicer resplendent in that beautiful silver with the super engine it festered. Then bit. So I walked into the dealer in May and said I want one and paid a deposit to secure my place. He had no idea of price or availability. He did say there were some others on his list. Anyway, I said call me when you have a definite price as long as it’s not too much more than the current one I want one. They are a big dealer so probably got a decent allocation. He called me. I negotiated a little bit and signed off and paid more of a deposit. Car was built in July but Australia is a long way. So I should have it end of September.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #15
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Interesting results thus far. Is the net hype larger than the real demand?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #16
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Interesting results thus far. Is the net hype larger than the real demand?
I think it's a mix of things. Certainly the marketing department doing what they do best. I also don't think this is really a poll of the general public. I'd imagine the BP community voting for "called dibs first" is a bit of a loaded vote. If you called dibs first the day it was even rumored to be a thing or the day it was announced to the public, that's a finger on the pulse bonus.
dmk087318.00
      08-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #17
fridex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Dealers in my area (Philly suburbs) couldn't get me an allocation fast enough so I went out of state to Michigan. Good way to get that break in service done
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #18
StLuis51
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3; 2023 X3MC

Contacted dealer and they had one ordered in the system as a dealer test vehicle. Wrote a check and it was switched to mine. I am a soldier stationed in Germany. So no markup no haggling no allocation bullshit. Just 10% off the MSRP FTW!
2023 X3MC - Current
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #19
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridex View Post
Dealers in my area (Philly suburbs) couldn't get me an allocation fast enough so I went out of state to Michigan. Good way to get that break in service done
Well played. I think I might have been one of the last allocations in the greater phila area. I was the last of 3 spots at Devon and I contacted all other NJ and PA dealerships before I got that allocation.

Definitely ping me when you get your m2c.
      08-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #20
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
I think it's a mix of things. Certainly the marketing department doing what they do best. I also don't think this is really a poll of the general public. I'd imagine the BP community voting for "called dibs first" is a bit of a loaded vote. If you called dibs first the day it was even rumored to be a thing or the day it was announced to the public, that's a finger on the pulse bonus.
Yeah, you're right. If I had given a little more thought to how to structure the poll, I would have phrased it differently.

In descending order, you'd want to know:

1. I got the allocation because I've purchased 10 different cars from my dealership over the years, and they always give me right of first refusal on anything new and cool

2. I got the allocation because I went to a palm reader in 2004 who told me that something like the M2C was coming, and I put a deposit down, and voila, 14 years later, her prognostication came true

3. I got the allocation because I went into the dealership after the announcement of the M2C in April, put my name on a list, and slowly but surely others dropped out and I rose to #1 on the list

4. I got the allocation because I walked into a dealership like 2 days ago, asked if they had any sitting around, and lo and behold I was the only person who had any interest in the car

5. I got the car because I walked into the dealership, and it was sitting there for sale

From the comments, it sounds like a lot of folks on this forum are really #2.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #21
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2C

To be fair, the only palm reader you'll ever need on future BMW models is Bimmerpost...

You're basically asking the insider crowd whether they knew before the general public. Well yes, obviously.
The existence of these cars is discussed well before any spyshot, purely on development information, which has a habit of drizzling down to these boards through some insiders.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #22
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

I don't really fit any of those I suppose... Never owned a BMW so no dealer relationship other than my office being right behind a mega-brand (BMW, MB, Jag, Porsche...) dealer and hearing all the test drives buzz by most days.

Had looked at the M2, RS3, M3, GT350...along with considering a resto-mod of some type. I liked the M2 the best, but wasn't totally sold on the single turbo N55 (no offense I just wanted something with more mod/tuning upside ). I stumbled across something on the M2C early July '18, read a few articles, and i was sold. Called the dealer, and went on a waiting list (alloc full and I was in no hurry). I got a call about a week later that they had 2 people drop off and I had a spot if i wanted it. Sold!
Appreciate 0