BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M performance exhaust install before car pick up vs after

08-26-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
SD08
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 comp

M performance exhaust install before car pick up vs after

If I get the MP exhaust installed after I've already signed and picked up my m2c, say 1 month later... vs getting it installed before pick up

Will it make a difference in terms of getting a modified exhaust or sound ticket?
will this be a "factory option" / "aftermarket purchase" type of a thing

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #2
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
It won't make any difference in terms of getting a ticket. You can easily prove it's a legal part offered by BMW if you were to get pulled over or even got a ticket. Only big difference you'll see is in terms of the warranty. If you order the MPE with the car as a port install part, it'll be listed on your window sticker, hence will be included in the 4-year manufacturer warranty. If you buy it once your car is here and get it installed at the dealer, it'll only have 2-year warranty. Given cracking issues with the M3/M4 titanium MPE, I'd much prefer the 4-year warranty with port install if I were to get MPE.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      08-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Port install = you lose the original part (paid for).

Later install = you keep the original part (paid for).
AndrewC198910903.50
      08-26-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
SD08
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
It won't make any difference in terms of getting a ticket. You can easily prove it's a legal part offered by BMW if you were to get pulled over or even got a ticket. Only big difference you'll see is in terms of the warranty. If you order the MPE with the car as a port install part, it'll be listed on your window sticker, hence will be included in the 4-year manufacturer warranty. If you buy it once your car is here and get it installed at the dealer, it'll only have 2-year warranty. Given cracking issues with the M3/M4 titanium MPE, I'd much prefer the 4-year warranty with port install if I were to get MPE.
I am aware of the 2 year dealer vs 4 year port warranty.
It wasn't listed available yet according to my salesman. I'll have to contact the GM tomorrow because the car ports on the 28th!

are you completely sure about the bmw part thing..

I feel the courts, would want to see paper work.
and yes i can go to a configurator and show it's an option (by then)
but it will be a hastle. Compared to if i show them the MSRP invoice with the MPE on there (port or dealer).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #5
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Port install = you lose the original part.

Later install = you keep the original part.
Stock M3/M4 exhaust usually going for $100-$200. Considering you don't pay for labor with port install, $100-200 that you can make by selling the stock exhaust doesn't mean much. Also, to each their own but why would anyone wanna keep their stock M2C muffler as long as you are replacing it with a legal, OEM option? I don't think anyone would pay a penny for that hideous muffler
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
SD08
Private
Rep

Quote:
Port install = you lose the original part (paid for).

Later install = you keep the original part (paid for).
forgot about that..
that's right haha thanks.

i got the MP steering wheel, rear diffuser, pedals, rear spoiler.

guess now i'm gonna debate when to get those installed.. id like to sell the steering wheel+possibly diffuser
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #7
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD08 View Post
Quote:
I am aware of the 2 year dealer vs 4 year port warranty.
It wasn't listed available yet according to my salesman. I'll have to contact the GM tomorrow because the car ports on the 28th!

are you completely sure about the bmw part thing..

I feel the courts, would want to see paper work.
and yes i can go to a configurator and show it's an option (by then)
but it will be a hastle. Compared to if i show them the MSRP invoice with the MPE on there (port or dealer).
Yes, I'm sure. As long as the part is legal in your state (I believe MPE is legal in every US state), you should be fine. Don't remember the exact thread title but there was a thread under M3/M4 California subforum and a member got a ticket for MPE (but his car had catless downpipes as well). MPE with catless downpipes is not legal obviously but as far as I remember he was able to get out of the ticket despite the downpipes by just proving that MPE is an OEM exhaust upgrade which is legal. I think this was a fix-it ticket and I don't exactly remember if he had to put the stock downpipes back on but he got the ticket dismissed. You can search under that subforum.
Appreciate 1
SD0841.00
      08-26-2018, 11:33 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Stock M3/M4 exhaust usually going for $100-$200. Considering you don't pay for labor with port install, $100-200 that you can make by selling the stock exhaust doesn't mean much. Also, to each their own but why would anyone wanna keep their stock M2C muffler as long as you are replacing it with a legal, OEM option? I don't think anyone would pay a penny for that hideous muffler
It's the other way around: during resale, most part out with the aftermarket goodies and retrofit the original parts (often only temporarily used original parts).

"Brand new original exhaust !" often means "I drove around with the MPE which I sold/sell separately" (or "Recently I had a mishap"...).
      08-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #9
mike in o.c.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M / 2018 X3 M40i

Get it afterwards. If you get before, the cost is factored into the price of the car which will make your DMV registration fee higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #10
SD08
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's the other way around: during resale, most part out with the aftermarket goodies and retrofit the original parts (often only temporarily used original parts).

"Brand new original exhaust !" often means "I drove around with the MPE which I sold/sell separately" (or "Recently I had a mishap"...).
I'd disagree in this scenario.
These are M performance Parts from BMW.
Vs say.. Turner motorsports or something
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #11
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Like I said, to each their own I guess... I do what you're saying for aftermarket parts but for M performance parts it doesn't make much sense to me. I'd rather get a big fat discount on port installed items (up to 20% in the US) and not pay for any labor. When I sell the car, I would obviously factor in the MPE in the resale value. If I were to get the MPE after delivery, I would have to pay for the labor twice (to put the MPE on and then put the stock muffler back on). Also, for reference M3/M4 MPE resale value isn't that great for the reasons I mentioned above. Not to mention I'd also have to store that huge ass M2C muffler as long as I keep the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 12:06 AM   #12
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, to each their own I guess... I do what you're saying for aftermarket parts but for M performance parts it doesn't make much sense to me. I'd rather get a big fat discount on port installed items (up to 20% in the US) and not pay for any labor. When I sell the car, I would obviously factor in the MPE in the resale value. If I were to get the MPE after delivery, I would have to pay for the labor twice (to put the MPE on and then put the stock muffler back on). Also, for reference M3/M4 MPE resale value isn't that great for the reasons I mentioned above. Not to mention I'd also have to store that huge ass M2C muffler as long as I keep the car.
That's also true.
      08-27-2018, 12:19 AM   #13
DasMonkey
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Have you heard the actual M2C in person yet?
If not, you may want to wait till you do before making the decision to spend a chunk of change to get the MPE. I am coming from a F80 M3 and just picked up my M2C a few days ago and can tell you I was VERY surprised and impressed by the sound on the M2C. It sounds NOTHING like the S55 in my M3. Hard to believe it is the same engine. The M2C has a much deeper tone and burbles.
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
Nkc1600.50
AlpsRider2857.50
DARKMTTR229.00
dmboone254970.50
      08-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #14
SD08
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMonkey View Post
If not, you may want to wait till you do before making the decision to spend a chunk of change to get the MPE. I am coming from a F80 M3 and just picked up my M2C a few days ago and can tell you I was VERY surprised and impressed by the sound on the M2C. It sounds NOTHING like the S55 in my M3. Hard to believe it is the same engine. The M2C has a much deeper tone and burbles.
Not in person.
That's the key factor
:{

judging off clips here.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #15
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Uh, no. Fast discount on port installed items? You haven't priced OEM parts with dealers. The port installed items are marked up. Factor in the MPE in resale value? You get squat in resale value. Labor is like $200-300. Used mpe resale is not that great? Haven't seen many for sale, but these should trade for $2k, which is hardly not that great. You'll never get an additional $2k in resale value. I'm with Artemis on this totally.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Also keep in mind that the MPE comes with a disclaimer that the valves open is "Track mode" and BMW won't back you up if you get caught driving on the regular street in this mode...I think I even had to sign a waiver when I took the car. Not sure how a cop could ever prove you had the valves open as obviously the first thing you do when you get pulled over is put the car in comfort and close the valves!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #17
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Quote:
Uh, no. Fast discount on port installed items? You haven't priced OEM parts with dealers. The port installed items are marked up. Factor in the MPE in resale value? You get squat in resale value. Labor is like $200-300. Used mpe resale is not that great? Haven't seen many for sale, but these should trade for $2k, which is hardly not that great. You'll never get an additional $2k in resale value. I'm with Artemis on this totally.
Been there done that so please don't spread false information! Port installed items are not marked up. Every M performance part has a list price (MSRP). It's the same price when you pay at your dealer's parts department or when you order the part with the car as port install. Whether your dealer's parts department or some online shop discount parts or not is totally up to them. I ordered my M4 with bunch of M performance parts and paid invoice price for them which meant 20% off of every single item including MPE. For example, paid $4800 for the MPE with CF tip while the price on my window sticker was $6K. Not to mention the free labor included in this price. I shared my order sheet with pricing several times on this forum so you can easily find it if you want.

I'm doing the same thing with the M2 Comp. I'm paying MSRP for the car but the dealer is discounting any M performance part that I'm interested in. Unfortunately the parts that I'm interested in are not available yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Also keep in mind that the MPE comes with a disclaimer that the valves open is "Track mode" and BMW won't back you up if you get caught driving on the regular street in this mode...I think I even had to sign a waiver when I took the car. Not sure how a cop could ever prove you had the valves open as obviously the first thing you do when you get pulled over is put the car in comfort and close the valves!!
I believe it's only for the OG M2 MPE since the valves are operated with an independent bluetooth button. M2C MPE has valve operarions tied to the drive modes just like M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #19
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Post some clips!!

PS: do you have a ZCP F80?
      08-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #20
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Post some clips!!

PS: do you have a ZCP F80?
Yes this is great to hear. Completely the opposite of Mr. review of the EU exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:18 AM   #21
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Well, one of the first things that cops ask the driver to do is to "please shut down the engine, Sir". And when you fire up the engine again, the MPE butterfly valves are automatically in closed position (MPE default: closed valves). Only exception: if you open the MPE valves and subsequently either leave without the MPE remote control or remove the MPE battery remote control, the MPE valves remain open (didn't try that yet but heard about it).

08-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #22
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I would buy it afterwards from someplace like BMW Morristown online (25-30% off MSRP). It's very easy to install DIY. Store the factory exhaust. When it's time to sell the car, swap back on the factory exhaust and sell the MPE -- easy to do. I recently sold the Dinan exhaust off my E39 M5 before putting the car up for auction and received 80% of what I paid for it almost 10 years earlier. Stock, pristine cans went back on the car for sale.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
SD0841.00