BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-24-2018, 03:18 AM   #1
bimmer2019
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: c300

Miscellaneous Questions and Advice Requested prior to placing order

I apologize for any redundancy in these questions, but I am relatively new to this forum and am not as well-versed in the pricing guide as you all are! I have tried to search through old posts, but still have some questions and would love your help before I place my order:

- Any consensus on the difference between ZDB and ZDY in regard to “Extended traffic jam assistant for limited access highways” versus the regular “Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant” that comes with 5AU (active driving assistant pro)? Is this a potential software upgrade you can get later?
- Can Integral Active Steering (2VH) be added as an option for the 40i with M sport package or is this also excluded like DHP is?
- Does it make sense to get the space saver spare (300) option with the default 20” all-season run flat tires style 740M tires with M sport?
- Are M sport brakes (2NH) just an aesthetic option or is there a functional benefit?
- Are electronic side window shades ever going to be an option?
- Is there a rear shade at all? (standard or optional?)
- Does the standard 4FL (travel and comfort system) mean it comes standard with the hook/adapter for accessories such as rear entertainment center, coat hanger, etc? Can the entertainment system be added later instead of waiting until December for it?
- Is the luggage compartment package just the automatic closing cover and non slip bumps, or is there more to it with more accessories or more luggage space?
- Are any AC adapters included in the vehicle?
- One of the videos showed plastic parts on the inside of the doors…was that in xline or the M sport? How can this be avoided??
- For someone who’s not super particular about surround sound or music but does like to jam in the car from time to time, is the HW system recommended over the standard BMW sound system? Is the standard sound system really that bad?

THANKS!!
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

Here's my $0.02 on a few of them.
- Can Integral Active Steering (2VH) be added as an option for the 40i with M sport package or is this also excluded like DHP is?
Looks like no per the ordering guide. Lots of complaining about this on this forum.

- Does it make sense to get the space saver spare (300) option with the default 20” all-season run flat tires style 740M tires with M sport? Unless you're worried about weight for track day (probably not with an X5 :P) or you need the 3rd row, why would you not want a spare? I had a runflat get a hole I could put my hand into on my e70. If I hadn't had a spare I would have been waiting for a tow truck.

I doubt it considering how the mechanism works. Not sure how it would work with a window that can go up and down. Hence only power rear on all others.

- Is there a rear shade at all? (standard or optional?) I don't believe so. Never has been before.

- Are M sport brakes (2NH) just an aesthetic option or is there a functional benefit? Larger, fade slower (allegedly).

Last edited by TK421BMW; 08-24-2018 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer2019 View Post
- Any consensus on the difference between ZDB and ZDY in regard to “Extended traffic jam assistant for limited access highways” versus the regular “Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant” that comes with 5AU (active driving assistant pro)? Is this a potential software upgrade you can get later?
The "Extended Traffic Jam Assistant" will allow for longer periods of hands-off driving on major interstate highways (from my understanding). It actually is a hardware change and most likely won't be able to be easily added later. There is small camera system mounted just above the instrument cluster that will monitor the driver...that isn't there on the non-Entended version. For us, we would barely ever use that hands-off driving on major highways so not a deal breaker.

Quote:
Based on the currently posted ordering guide, you can NOT get 2VH with the M-Sport (ZMP).

Quote:
- Are M sport brakes (2NH) just an aesthetic option or is there a functional benefit?
Like the other response mentioned, slightly larger discs, calipers, and different pads (with a TON more dust). So definitely functional but maybe overkill for commuting and driving around town.

Quote:
I would say no.

Quote:
- Is there a rear shade at all? (standard or optional?)
Nope.

Quote:
- Does the standard 4FL (travel and comfort system) mean it comes standard with the hook/adapter for accessories such as rear entertainment center, coat hanger, etc? Can the entertainment system be added later instead of waiting until December for it?
The X5 will come standard with the hook/adapter in the back of the front seats in the US. The entertainment system coming in December most likely is a more "integrated" solution. The adapters in the seats will definitely allow for a holder for an iPad/tablet where you can watch movies. But the integrated system in Dec might also allow for interfacing with iDrive...not sure!

Quote:
- Is the luggage compartment package just the automatic closing cover and non slip bumps, or is there more to it with more accessories or more luggage space?
Just the auto closing cover and non-slip pads from what I've read. No other changes to the space.

Quote:
- Are any AC adapters included in the vehicle?
Do you mean like a standard 110/120V outlet? No. I don't believe so.

Quote:
- One of the videos showed plastic parts on the inside of the doors…was that in xline or the M sport? How can this be avoided??
Thankfully this was confirmed by BMW to just be a pre-production "feature". The shiny cheap plastic in the doors and inside the rear center armrest will be a different material/texture in the production version (regardless of xLine/M-Sport).

Quote:
- For someone who’s not super particular about surround sound or music but does like to jam in the car from time to time, is the HW system recommended over the standard BMW sound system? Is the standard sound system really that bad?
From what I've read, the general consensus among BMW owners is that the HK system is generally much better than stock. We ordered it on ours, for the price I think it is probably worth it. The super high end diamond system is a LOT of cash for audio...more than we were willing to spend. Some say its worth it on other models, but seems like many say it's not. Although the LEDs in the speakers are kinda fun.
Appreciate 0