BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Easier to drift?

08-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Easier to drift?

Clarification needed...

I'm new to BMW and I keep reading that the M2C is easier to drift now, right? ...is that only with the traction control off or is that just how it normally is?

I'm hoping that it's only like that when traction control is off because I will be driving this mainly in the streets and I'm not trying to fish-tail everytime I turn when it's raining out or something. Haha
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Rest assured that with the traction control on there will be no drifting with the M2C 🤔
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

There are 3 settings.

Standard = no fun will be had here. It's like if your mom is watching you.
MDM = some slippage allowed, but it'll save you if you attempt something stupid
Trac/Stability off = good luck, you'll look like a hero if you pull off the turn, otherwise we'll make fun of you when the video hits youtube.
Appreciate 7
cptobvious2531.50
seis-speed2430.50
COChris888.50
nomoracin761.00
urke8511.50
Davil6524.50
      08-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

If you want to drift easier, the cheapest way to do that is to put on cheap tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp AW, S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
There are 3 settings.

Standard = no fun will be had here. It's like if your mom is watching you.
MDM = some slippage allowed, but it'll save you if you attempt something stupid
Trac/Stability off = good luck, you'll look like a hero if you pull off the turn, otherwise we'll make fun of you when the video hits youtube.
I just got an M2 Competition and was surprised by the power and how far the MDM will let you go. The back end kicked out pretty far when I was turning onto a road and I didn’t even think I gave it that much gas.
Appreciate 5
m20e30871150.00
cptobvious2531.50
AlpsRider2865.00
pz6193278.50
      08-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Clarification needed...

I'm new to BMW and I keep reading that the M2C is easier to drift now, right? ...is that only with the traction control off or is that just how it normally is?

I'm hoping that it's only like that when traction control is off because I will be driving this mainly in the streets and I'm not trying to fish-tail everytime I turn when it's raining out or something. Haha
They changed the programming on their MDM mode so in sport+ with traction and stability only partially on MDM allows the car more slipping around before TC and SC steps in and stops the fun.

HOWEVER...

that was on European press cars. Who knows if they did anything at all to the US spec cars as far as their MDM programming. On the N55 M2 the US spec cars TC and SC were more intrusive in MDM mode than Euro spec cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
They changed the programming on their MDM mode so in sport+ with traction and stability only partially on MDM allows the car more slipping around before TC and SC steps in and stops the fun.

HOWEVER...

that was on European press cars. Who knows if they did anything at all to the US spec cars as far as their MDM programming. On the N55 M2 the US spec cars TC and SC were more intrusive in MDM mode than Euro spec cars.
AFAIK Marty has a US spec car since his location is listed as Colorado.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
AFAIK Marty has a US spec car since his location is listed as Colorado.
Sure, it's just the reviews made a big deal about the MDM changes on the Euro cars. We don't really know what if any of that carried over to this side of the pond.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Sure, it's just the reviews made a big deal about the MDM changes on the Euro cars. We don't really know what if any of that carried over to this side of the pond.
I hope they did loosen it up a bit. Otherwise I'll be loading the Euro specs for the traction control.
Appreciate 1
mikeahso411.50
      08-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
Foyc55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: HS M2 CS

Quote:
Clarification needed...

Quote:
Clarification needed...

If you have to ask this you're buying the wrong car
      08-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foyc55 View Post
OP, pay this comment no mind!

I'm with you. My wife will be driving my M2C here and there, and I really wouldn't want a situation where she might get into a drift accidentally. Hell, I wouldn't want myself to accidentally get into a drift! And rainy conditions with a rear wheel drive only car can be disturbing if you're not used to it. In fact, there was one time I was caught out in a sudden snow storm with my Bimmer and that was definitely no bueno.

But, in rain, with all the nannies on, it's shouldn't be a problem at all.
Appreciate 1
mikeahso411.50
      08-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #12
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post

I'm with you. My wife will be driving my M2C here and there, and I really wouldn't want a situation where she might get into a drift accidentally. Hell, I wouldn't want myself to accidentally get into a drift! And rainy conditions with a rear wheel drive only car can be disturbing if you're not used to it. In fact, there was one time I was caught out in a sudden snow storm with my Bimmer and that was definitely no bueno.

Should be fine. They cross curbs like SUVs anyway.

Appreciate 4
mikeahso411.50
Foyc55424.50
BlkSVT388.50
      08-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #13
Foyc55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: HS M2 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foyc55 View Post

Just drive with respect it's that simple. My girl used to drive my c7 Z06 7 speed & my 600whp 2700lb e36. However, I take that comment back. Anyone can buy this car but if you're lacking confidence then just keep the electronics active when you're driving and spend some money on some driving instructions at your local road course good luck with your m2c! They're amazing cars!
      08-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Quote:

Should be fine. They cross curbs like SUVs anyway.

Dat flat undercarriage tho
Appreciate 1
mikeahso411.50
      08-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #15
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I have the car, I've driven it in the rain and even pushed in the rain, it has a lot of rear-end grip unless you're making a sharp turn and get silly with the throttle it's not going to try and step out on you, it's well behaved it's just the front axle is stronger than the rear axle so you'll run out of rear grip before front grip at the limit. (Which is very high) and which I did in a decreasing radius corner at unmentionable speed, it breaks nicely. Nothing to worry about.

I'll put it this way unless you're trying, you're not going to have the back end step out on you in warm weather. Car comes on summer tires don't drive it when it's very cold out (sub 50°F) and expect it to have a lot of grip.
Appreciate 1
nomoracin761.00
      08-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Thanks for the advice/comments guys!

Reading these puts me more at ease now.

I will be one of the owners where the wife will be driving it occassionally too.
Appreciate 0