BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M40i

Couldn’t back out of steep driveway

So last night I missed my location and pulled into a steep upward driveway from a flat road to turn around. As I was backing out the vehicle jarred kinda violently. I thought maybe I pushed the park button which I’ve always been worried about though I’m sure it wouldn’t let me. I was still in reverse so I thought maybe I hit something but there was tons of room between me and the truck parked on the other side of the road.

Eventually, I concluded it was something with the backup sensors preventing me from backing up cause they thought I was gonna hot somethin. I was essentially stuck. Couldn’t backup despite apparent room and clearance from
What I could tell. If I tried to give it gas the vehicle hammered the brakes. I tried turning off safety stuff but there is nothing for the rear sensors. Didn’t try trailer mode or whatever (didn’t think of it and no idea how to turn it on either). Eventually, I was able to do an Austin powers turn and back onto the road at a 45 degree angle or so. Thankfully it was later at night and not a busy road!

Would y’all more seasoned folks confirm this to be the backup sensors preventing me from hittting something?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Were all doors completely closed? I’ve had this happen when a door was closed but not securely latched.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Vehicle settings > PDC with brake intervention

It's separate from intelligent safety system
wadded53.00
      08-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M40i

All doors closed. We had driven for about 15min previous to this happening. Driving forward was fine, only reverse mode was sketchy for that small point.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
I had a 2017 X5 do something similar to me - can only assume it was the autonymous braking because it thought i was about to hit something.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post
So last night I missed my location and pulled into a steep upward driveway from a flat road to turn around. As I was backing out the vehicle jarred kinda violently. I thought maybe I pushed the park button which I’ve always been worried about though I’m sure it wouldn’t let me. I was still in reverse so I thought maybe I hit something but there was tons of room between me and the truck parked on the other side of the road.

Eventually, I concluded it was something with the backup sensors preventing me from backing up cause they thought I was gonna hot somethin. I was essentially stuck. Couldn’t backup despite apparent room and clearance from
What I could tell. If I tried to give it gas the vehicle hammered the brakes. I tried turning off safety stuff but there is nothing for the rear sensors. Didn’t try trailer mode or whatever (didn’t think of it and no idea how to turn it on either). Eventually, I was able to do an Austin powers turn and back onto the road at a 45 degree angle or so. Thankfully it was later at night and not a busy road!

Would y’all more seasoned folks confirm this to be the backup sensors preventing me from hittting something?
It's almost certainly the PDC emergency braking. We have a slightly steep "bend" in our driveway, which often activated it. We just turned off that function (look in the online manual for "Emergency braking function").
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post

It's this. When the shadow is in a certain position the car thinks there's an object and brakes automatically.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41911.00
      08-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep

This happens to me all the time on steep hills and it is super annoying. If I had to order again I would not buy my car with any of the driving assistance features whatsoever.
      08-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
CPRitter
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post

What would have happened if you had put the transmission in neutral and turned vehicle off. Could you have rolled back?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

As above switch off emergency pic in the I drive.

This is covered in the manual though a bit tricky to find. In the uk it is in the “driver assistance systems” under “Emergency Braking Function, Active PDC”

The system can be annoying
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 04:31 AM   #11
DoctorDave
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xdrive2.0d xline B4

autonomous braking

I had this same problem on my x3, 2.0D Xline. It happened revering off a drive way into a main road. The brakes slammed on 3 times leaving me at the mercy of approaching fast traffic.
I took the car in and the BMW mechanic test drove it and it scared the life out of him!
The car had a control box and reversing sensor replaced (BMW Stratstone, Derby had the car for a week) Seemed fixed but 2 weeks later it did the same on a wet road reversing around a corner, aggressive braking three times before I could get it moving. The car is booked to go back in next week.
Clearly the sensors are too sensitive. The fact that others have this problem and 5 series G30 users on this forum, suggests this is a design flaw, not a fault.
I will let you know how I get on at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #12
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

next to both my garage doors are large pots with small trees in them, we had an ice storm last week and one of the trees next to my BMW's door was bent over a bit and when trying to back out the car violently came to a stop like I had ran into something solid. it would not continue to go in reverse. I tried pulling in and then slowly backing out till I realized it was the tree that was slightly bent over. got out shook the ice and snow off the tree limb so it was more upright and the car backed right out. knowing what it was it makes sense now, but in the moment I had no clue what was happening.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Super annoying in this instance or sometimes with parallel parking on a busy street...but was very helpful in the Whole Foods parking garage a couple weeks ago, which is the exact location where I imagined this feature being useful LOL.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Combat Action ribbon? If yes, I sincerely thank you for your service. Be safe.
——————-

JJ
USMC Vietnam Vet
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
Quote:

Combat Action ribbon? If yes, I sincerely thank you for your service. Be safe.
——————-

JJ
USMC Vietnam Vet
Thank you Devil!

Welcome home!- us young vets wouldn't have our benefits we have today without the Vietnam vets like you who fought very hard to be recognized for the thankless war you guys went through
      11-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #16
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
As above switch off emergency pic in the I drive.

This is covered in the manual though a bit tricky to find. In the uk it is in the “driver assistance systems” under “Emergency Braking Function, Active PDC”

The system can be annoying
I’ve put this onto one of my preset buttons. Just to create a bit of extra driveway space, I always reverse onto my drive at home and tuck the car tight against some shrubs (passenger side - UK) and when I first got the car it stopped dead when I tried to do this. Nearly shat myself, for a split second I thought maybe I’d missed seeing something and have now hit it? No, it’s the brakes being applied automatically. Having saved to a preset allows me to quickly tweak it ready for a home parking moment.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41911.00
      11-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #17
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Quote:

It's this. When the shadow is in a certain position the car thinks there's an object and brakes automatically.
Just do this ^^^

Happened to me once, turned it off, hasn't happened since
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #18
frank23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model Y

Just changed that setting as well - in certain light conditions it would slam on the brakes a few times when reversing into my driveway. It seemed it detected its own shadow as an obstacle...

Indeed it feels like you hit a solid wall, which is rather disconcerting.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 01:14 AM   #19
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
Just changed that setting as well - in certain light conditions it would slam on the brakes a few times when reversing into my driveway. It seemed it detected its own shadow as an obstacle...

Indeed it feels like you hit a solid wall, which is rather disconcerting.
I have not heard that the reversing camera got any AI to detect obstacles.
There are ultra sonic sensors, and with some options, radar that can detect things. Don't think shadows are one of it...
Or?
      11-28-2018, 02:01 AM   #20
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

You can turn this feature off? For me it would be annoying, for my wife it would be Armageddon.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #21
frank23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
I have not heard that the reversing camera got any AI to detect obstacles.
There are ultra sonic sensors, and with some options, radar that can detect things. Don't think shadows are one of it...
Or?
I'd agree on that thought. But I cannot explain why the light conditions would have an effect otherwise. The problem does not happen when it's either dark or full daylight.

Also the car has a similar problem when leaving automatic PDC activation on. When it gets to twilight, it will activate at just about every traffic light you stop at, and seems to focus on the stop line marker in the road.
Appreciate 0