THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Normal suspension vs adaptive suspension

08-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
Tahio
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240i

Normal suspension vs adaptive suspension

Hello, this is my 2nd post about some doubts I would like to ask here since there’s no one out there who talked about this.

We know we have the stock suspension and the adaptive one which gets stiffer and stiffer. From what I know, the Sport and Sport+ stiffness is really anoying for daily driving and comfort is way better.
So I was wondering, the stock suspension on the 240i is it stiff as the sport mode of the adaptive susp or more like the comfort mode of the adaptive susp?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahio View Post
Hello, this is my 2nd post about some doubts I would like to ask here since there's no one out there who talked about this.

We know we have the stock suspension and the adaptive one which gets stiffer and stiffer. From what I know, the Sport and Sport+ stiffness is really anoying for daily driving and comfort is way better.
So I was wondering, the stock suspension on the 240i is it stiff as the sport mode of the adaptive susp or more like the comfort mode of the adaptive susp?
You can go into iDrive and separate the drivetrain from the suspension when in sport and sport+. Essentially, you can have the added performance/power but the suspension will still be what it would be in comfort mode. If you're worried about a stiff suspension, maybe buying and M performance vehicle isn't what your looking for. There are plenty of other fun cars out there that are peppy and don't have as stiff of a suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

the difference between comfort and sport + is night and day. comfort is very easy for daily driving. sport & sport + really tighten up chassis for fun weekend driving. You get the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

The question is from Argentina where I’m guessing other markets can get 235/240 versions w/o the two mode adaptive suspension.
Here in the u.s I don’t think the Sport suspension is too stiff for daily driving - you need to drive around potholes and slow for messed up surfaces more then a normal car - but it’s fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
Lipper
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

I have adaptive suspension and always drive in Sport mode on drivetrain and suspension. I find it perfectly comfortable and appreciate the throttle response and heavier steering that come along with the firmer shocks.
BMS JB4 w/Bluetooth| Wagner Competition IC | Wagner DP | Evolution Raceworks IC Pipes | Dynan CAI | BMS Catch-Can | Active Autowerks Axle-Back | ECS 2-Piece Rotors/Hawk HPS 5.0 Pads | Full MP Carbon/Alcantara Trim | M-Performance Alcantara/LED Steering Wheel
Appreciate 1
WillOs7.00
      09-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
chakatrain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 328i x-drive wagon

I've experimented with the Sport settings to be just drivetrain or drivetrain + chassis/suspension. I love the increased throttle response of Sport and I like the heavier steering of Sport, but I find the firmer suspension is sometimes a bit rough over our poor roads out there.

So I tend to drive Sport with just the drivetrain, going to Sport + when things get curvy. I'm stoked this car gives us options to play with.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahio View Post
Hello, this is my 2nd post about some doubts I would like to ask here since there’s no one out there who talked about this.

Stock suspension is something in the middle between adaptive comfort and adaptive sport but more towards comfort side...

the M perf suspension is stiffer than adaptive sport....

adaptive comfort-----------------adaptive sport----------------
________________|_____________________________|
______________stock_________________________M perf
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #8
macagain
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 435i xdrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakatrain View Post
I've experimented with the Sport settings to be just drivetrain or drivetrain + chassis/suspension. I love the increased throttle response of Sport and I like the heavier steering of Sport, but I find the firmer suspension is sometimes a bit rough over our poor roads out there.

So I tend to drive Sport with just the drivetrain, going to Sport + when things get curvy. I'm stoked this car gives us options to play with.
Same here. I wish they would separate the steering and suspension settings.

I drive in sport mode most of the time, but it sure does burn gas!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
SCCThree
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 Competition

My opinion, the adaptive suspension is just two modes... harsh and very harsh. I was disappointed that there wasn't a softer setting. I usually drive in sport mode with the suspension in comfort mode.

The roads in Dallas are in horrible shape. The soil here is mostly clay based so it is prone to swelling and shrinkage so you get road slabs that are always off. When those slabs start to move you start to get pot holes in the seams. It has to be close to wheel bending levels before the a city starts thinking about fixing it.... anyway that will be my rant for the day.

I can say that in comfort mode the M240 is slightly softer than my E46 M3 and my 2013 GTI.

For me it wasn't a deal breaker. I still love the car!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #10
Dan@AutoTalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

adaptive comfort-----------------adaptive sport----------------
________________|_____________________________|
______________stock_________________________M perf
I like the graph!