E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Black soot found on driveway right under tailpipes

08-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Black soot found on driveway right under tailpipes

Car has nearly 169K miles, starting to have some form of black soot build-up on my driveway, right under each of the exhaust pipes. I have no CEL / DTCs appearing, but I'm noticing a pretty strong fume on start-up and poorer MPGs. Thoughts?

I do know that the dealer did specify I needed a new valve cover (not specifically the VCG). It's the original one. I'm assuming they're right, as I'm also losing oil from time to time. Should I assume replacing the VG and getting say a walnut blast to correct my issues. I haven't really speculated the fuel injectors as I'm not experiencing any misfire nor codes.

Please advise...

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
nOshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

My guess would be either o2 sensors or injectors, but I'd lean more to injectors. I've had leaky injectors and no misfire, so something to look into.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Do you hve exhaust tips and clean the final few inches of the pipes? If the normal exhaust buildup has not been cleaned and an oil leak has begun, it is completely plausible to have buildup increase without creating a notable cloud. I have 68K on my 09 328i and recently cleaned the exhaust tips so I can keep an eye on buildup thanks to threads on the board illustrating the myriad of leak issues with BMW.

A nice trick I learned from a custom guy in Fort Benning years ago. It has served me well for years and a step I take when I pick up a used vehicle.
      08-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Graphite07 View Post
Car has nearly 169K miles, starting to have some form of black soot build-up on my driveway, right under each of the exhaust pipes. I have no CEL / DTCs appearing, but I'm noticing a pretty strong fume on start-up and poorer MPGs. Thoughts?

I do know that the dealer did specify I needed a new valve cover (not specifically the VCG). It's the original one. I'm assuming they're right, as I'm also losing oil from time to time. Should I assume replacing the VG and getting say a walnut blast to correct my issues. I haven't really speculated the fuel injectors as I'm not experiencing any misfire nor codes.

Please advise...
Check out your inlet connections. I had this issue. I had the sensor pop out of the rear inlet and therefore excess air was coming in the inlet causing the black soot.

It could be bad turbo seals

It could be a leaking injector
Appreciate 0