F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Any way to tell if a remap has been deleted at BMW?
proTUNING Freaks

08-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435d Convertible xDrive M Sprt

Any way to tell if a remap has been deleted at BMW?

Took it in for ACS springs and suspension, the car drives so much better and feels like a proper m sport now, rather than the wallowey 435 xdrive m sport that it was before.

But having been driving the courtesy car all day, and back in my car I cant tell if the remap has gone, it feels a bit slower but I think that's because it feels heavier and firmer, and less bouncey, so I am not sure.

On turning the engine on it said new maps update available. But also, during the remap, the sports display dial was altered - I cant remember what it said before, but the dials end at 400bhp, and 720 torque. Is that higher than what is usually displayed on a 435d, and if so, would the be indicative of the software having not been updated else it would have wiped that coding too?

thanks in advance

No more wheel gaps

Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

BMW has a habit of carrying out software updates without the owner's knowledge or permission, so if you can see/feel that something has changed it is quite likely that your remap has been wiped.

I make a clear point of instructing the dealer service department to make zero changes in terms of software updates, geometry setup, cleaning the car, etc.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep

I did say in the email correspondence a few weeks back before it was taken in today, that i'd not like the remap wiped. But they may have forgot, or that info may not have been passed on to the engineers maybe?

When I floor it on the motorway the BHP meter hits 400, which is strange as it was remapped to 375bhp, perhaps an inaccuracy, but perhaps suggesting it's going past the standard 309bhp of a 435d ?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlad99 View Post
I did say in the email correspondence a few weeks back before it was taken in today, that i'd not like the remap wiped. But they may have forgot, or that info may not have been passed on to the engineers maybe?

When I floor it on the motorway the BHP meter hits 400, which is strange as it was remapped to 375bhp, perhaps an inaccuracy, but perhaps suggesting it's going past the standard 309bhp of a 435d ?
I wouldn't take those dials as an accurate measure of power.

Time the car 50-75 on the flat in the dry.. if it's well under 3 seconds your remap is still on the car
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Or time the 0-60 on the m laptimer app in the dry, if it’s down around 4 secs then it’s still remapped.

Post some more pics of the car, preferably on flat ground, I haven’t seen many MP kitted F33’s and yours looks pretty incredible.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive Shadow Edition

My standard sport dials stop at 320hp
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys, I'll do your suggestions, although the 0-60 speed differences would be hard to tell as we know the car is already fast, the remap just made it more punchy I guess.

The fitter said given that the coded modified dials are still there it's very unlikely, although conceded there's still a tiny chance that the dial codes could have remained and the remap overwritten, so will have a quick check in the next few days.

Emailing the dealership, they said nothing remap related would have been modified, it seems the work done was entirely mechanical, and thinking about it, it was only 3 weeks ago that it went in for it's end of warranty check and mot, and *then* the remap done, so any needed updates would have been done then.

It's me over thinking things and over worrying as may have been noticed on here lol

I'll take some pics soon, it's really lowered now, the front just went a few mm over the kerb when parking at tesco. Now it reaches halfway up lol. Not a major thing as I've learnt not to touch kerbs any more. Bumps should be fine I think, driven over at the right spot. The only issue will be not being able to mount kerbs for parking unless there's a drop somewhere.. again not a biggie. So all in all happy.

I just need better brakes now. It was said on here that as they all use big brakes now on the larger engines, and so the same front calipers, just not painted, you could swap in any other brake pad, such as sport+ or M4 pads. The dealer said they're totally different and the whole thing would need changing. I did only mention m4 pads, and thinking about it they do need the even larger 380mm discs due to the caliper positioning I believe?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlad99 View Post
Thanks guys, I'll do your suggestions, although the 0-60 speed differences would be hard to tell as we know the car is already fast, the remap just made it more punchy I guess.

The fitter said given that the coded modified dials are still there it's very unlikely, although conceded there's still a tiny chance that the dial codes could have remained and the remap overwritten, so will have a quick check in the next few days.

Emailing the dealership, they said nothing remap related would have been modified, it seems the work done was entirely mechanical, and thinking about it, it was only 3 weeks ago that it went in for it's end of warranty check and mot, and *then* the remap done, so any needed updates would have been done then.

It's me over thinking things and over worrying as may have been noticed on here lol

I'll take some pics soon, it's really lowered now, the front just went a few mm over the kerb when parking at tesco. Now it reaches halfway up lol. Not a major thing as I've learnt not to touch kerbs any more. Bumps should be fine I think, driven over at the right spot. The only issue will be not being able to mount kerbs for parking unless there's a drop somewhere.. again not a biggie. So all in all happy.

I just need better brakes now. It was said on here that as they all use big brakes now on the larger engines, and so the same front calipers, just not painted, you could swap in any other brake pad, such as sport+ or M4 pads. The dealer said they're totally different and the whole thing would need changing. I did only mention m4 pads, and thinking about it they do need the even larger 380mm discs due to the caliper positioning I believe?
The dealer is talking bollocks, all F3x & F8x 4 piston calipers use the same fitment pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Not trying to be funny, but if you are not noticing a major difference in performance from usual that would assume it is still on.

ie. did you notice a big difference when you had it remapped in the first place?

I had a DMS remap of my 325d coupe a few years back and the difference was massive.

PS: You say 435dX in first post, but your profile says 425dX? Love the colour by the way!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The dealer is talking bollocks, all F3x & F8x 4 piston calipers use the same fitment pads.
Would the m4 front pads still work in the front calipers even with the standard 340mm discs
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #11
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witney View Post
Not trying to be funny, but if you are not noticing a major difference in performance from usual that would assume it is still on.

ie. did you notice a big difference when you had it remapped in the first place?

I had a DMS remap of my 325d coupe a few years back and the difference was massive.

PS: You say 435dX in first post, but your profile says 425dX? Love the colour by the way!

Sorry 435dx, I mean it doesn't feel as spritely. Had an important drive to home bargains just now. After the remap it felt similar to sport mode always on. The car now feels 'heavy' when pulling away from start, perhaps like it did before the remap but i can't remember how that felt now. Or perhaps that heavy feeling is just the stiffness from the tighter suspension now that has less bounce, and hence less springyness when pulling away from start. I guess I'll just let the remap guy have a look on Thursday.

Do I bin the box off standards springs, dampers, and bolts etc, I'm guessing there not worth anything
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
No they don't.
      08-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Id imagine stiffer suspension would make the car feel more urgent as the car wouldn't have as much body movement with heavy acceleration.

You should be able to tell a stock 435 Vs a remapped one.

Remapped 35ds are supercar slayers.
Appreciate 0