BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Question about getting in/out of rear seats - US Model

08-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
rparker35
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Question about getting in/out of rear seats - US Model

I have two kids that will be getting in/out of the rear seats and I was wondering how easy this is with the new seats in the M2C.

So, for anyone that has an US model of the M2C, can you please let me know your thoughts.

Is it quick and easy to manually slide the front seat forward to get in/out of the back or do you have to sit there pressing a button and wait (painfully) for the seat the move itself forward and then repeat this painfully long process to move it back?

There is a video online of a euro version where the guy just pulls the lever and manually slides the front seat forward to get in and out. This seemed great, but then I realized this was the non-electric seat version we can't get!

Thanks in advance for the help.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp AW, S2000

There is a lever that will fold the top half of the seat located on the back. There are also buttons there that will move the entire seat forward and backward. It is electric and I wouldn’t classify it as quick but it seems to get the job done. Idk, I don’t have kids, 99.9% of the time no one will be riding in the back for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
rparker35
Rep

That is what I was afraid of. Still can't comprehend why BMW does this. It should simply be a manual lever that allows you to tilt and slide the front seat forward. Like I had on my E46 M3. Having to use a lever to manually tilt the seat forward and then have to press another button to slowly move the seat forward to get in an out is just dumb.
Appreciate 2
bobert858.50
      08-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
M2C4ME
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3.

I'm not sure why the last guy spoke about electronic buttons but in our group there's this review showing access to rear seats as you want them:
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Are they euro spec(maybe different)? Mine definitely has buttons on the back of the seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
rparker35
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C4ME View Post
I'm not sure why the last guy spoke about electronic buttons but in our group there's this review showing access to rear seats as you want them:
Sadly these are the non-electric seats that aren’t available in the US. 🙁
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

You can still tilt the back forward on the US seats manually right? Or that's electronic too?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #8
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
You can still tilt the back forward on the US seats manually right? Or that's electronic too?
The top tilts manually, it’s just the base forward and back that is electronic.
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyE12345 View Post
Quote:
The top tilts manually, it’s just the base forward and back that is electronic.
That is annoying... I would never want that.

MR
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 01:35 AM   #10
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
That is annoying... I would never want that.

MR
We need manual seat kits over here! Does't the manual sit lower too, or is that urban legend?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:15 AM   #11
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
FWIW, pushing the arrow button on an OG car has multiple functions. Single press "forward" will make it one-touch slide as far forward as it can.

Once that's done, single press "backwards" puts it back into the position it started. Pushing "backwards" a second time will make it try to slide as far back as possible, crushing a rear seat passenger's legs.

However, you can also press and hold the arrows either direction - HOLDING is bad, because then it will only move the seat while you're holding it. Train your kids / passengers to just single press the button quickly. I've used the press & hold myself to adjust the seat to a specific spot for whatever reason, but also note that those buttons only work when the appropriate door is open. You can't use the shoulder button to slide the seat around when the door is closed.

And note that manual seats, while nice for speed, have their own set of problems. I have experience with this on a Mk5 R32 which was a 2-door hatchback. Passengers who are too rough with them can cause problems for the ratcheting / locking mechanism that helps the seat return to the right spot, especially if they don't pull up on the shoulder lever enough.

Plus, power seats are the only way you get seat memory. Nothing drives me more crazy than dealerships / valets driving my car and moving my seat around. Seat memory eliminates that problem entirely, and there's no easy way to solve it with a manual seat.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 08-14-2018 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
bobert858.50
Ramos862.50
      08-14-2018, 03:18 AM   #12
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
We need manual seat kits over here! Does't the manual sit lower too, or is that urban legend?
On 2ertalk.de I think it was mentioned that someone compared and they were the same height for the M2C, within a few mm anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Slightly related to passenger egress.

People that close your coupe doors via pushing the glass

Noooooo
Kikuchiyo114.50
      08-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #14
rparker35
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
FWIW, pushing the arrow button on an OG car has multiple functions. Single press "forward" will make it one-touch slide as far forward as it can.

Once that's done, single press "backwards" puts it back into the position it started. Pushing "backwards" a second time will make it try to slide as far back as possible, crushing a rear seat passenger's legs.

However, you can also press and hold the arrows either direction - HOLDING is bad, because then it will only move the seat while you're holding it. Train your kids / passengers to just single press the button quickly. I've used the press & hold myself to adjust the seat to a specific spot for whatever reason, but also note that those buttons only work when the appropriate door is open. You can't use the shoulder button to slide the seat around when the door is closed.

And note that manual seats, while nice for speed, have their own set of problems. I have experience with this on a Mk5 R32 which was a 2-door hatchback. Passengers who are too rough with them can cause problems for the ratcheting / locking mechanism that helps the seat return to the right spot, especially if they don't pull up on the shoulder lever enough.

Plus, power seats are the only way you get seat memory. Nothing drives me more crazy than dealerships / valets driving my car and moving my seat around. Seat memory eliminates that problem entirely, and there's no easy way to solve it with a manual seat.

Thank you for this detailed explanation. I looked at an OG M2 that my local dealer had in stock and had asked about the seat button. As usual, the salesperson had no idea what they were talking about. They did not mention the one-touch forward and backward part. They kept saying that the rear passenger would have to hold the button forward or backward, which seemed odd to me.

I assume the button and lever will work the same in the M2 Comp.

At least the one-touch thing helps a bit. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #15
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post

I did not know this, good tip thanks. I will probably have people in the backseat 3 times in the cars existense haha. Are people able to move the seats change while the car is in motion, it would be weird that someone could move your seat forward and back if you were driving?

Last edited by MartyE12345; 08-14-2018 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #16
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker35 View Post
That is what I was afraid of. Still can't comprehend why BMW does this. It should simply be a manual lever that allows you to tilt and slide the front seat forward. Like I had on my E46 M3. Having to use a lever to manually tilt the seat forward and then have to press another button to slowly move the seat forward to get in an out is just dumb.
If I may ask, why does it bother you so much that the seat moves electronically? Is it because it goes slow for you? I recently got a loaner 430i which has the same functionality and I have 2 kids and I didn't see a problem at all coming out or in...?
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
rparker35
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
If I may ask, why does it bother you so much that the seat moves electronically? Is it because it goes slow for you? I recently got a loaner 430i which has the same functionality and I have 2 kids and I didn't see a problem at all coming out or in...?
It turns out that I was a little misled by the salesperson (imagine that).

They kept insisting that you can to sit there and hold the forward and backward button. This seemed a little silly and time consuming to me. Hence, my wish for seats like I had in my e46 M3, which were electric seats with memory, but the tilt and slide portion was all manual.

Assuming the previous post referencing the one-touch function is still valid, then this would make things much easier.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have two kids that will be getting in/out of the rear seats and I was wondering how easy this is with the new seats in the M2C.

So, for anyone that has an US model of the M2C, can you please let me know your thoughts.

Is it quick and easy to manually slide the front seat forward to get in/out of the back or do you have to sit there pressing a button and wait (painfully) for the seat the move itself forward and then repeat this painfully long process to move it back?

There is a video online of a euro version where the guy just pulls the lever and manually slides the front seat forward to get in and out. This seemed great, but then I realized this was the non-electric seat version we can't get!

Have you had another coupe with two kids? I've got two brats and it was a pain in the ass on the first M2. I'm just going to keep a beater for hauling the brats around this time. The seat being slow is the least of your worries.

This is what went down almost every ride.

"It's my turn to sit in the front"
"no, you rode up front last time"
"no, it's my turn"
"I'm bigger than her, why do I have to ride in the back"
"That's not fair, my turn was really short"

Shut up, you're both riding in the back now.

"can we get milkshakes"

No, get out. We're taking the SUV.
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
Davil6524.50
Ramos862.50
      08-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #19
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Slightly related to passenger egress.

People that close your coupe doors via pushing the glass

Noooooo
You forgot slamming the door so hard you expect parts to fly off or using it as a lift point.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17489.00
      08-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #20
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Quote:

Have you had another coupe with two kids? I've got two brats and it was a pain in the ass on the first M2. I'm just going to keep a beater for hauling the brats around this time. The seat being slow is the least of your worries.

"no, it's my turn"

"can we get milkshakes"

That is frickin' hilarious. We've designated my wife's car as the kids' transportation mobile. They're not allowed to even look at the M2C when it arrives, much less sit in it.
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #21
rparker35
Rep

Quote:

"no, it's my turn"

"can we get milkshakes"

Loved this. Made me laugh out loud.

Yes, I have had a previous two door with my two. I understand your pain. Thankfully I only have to take them in it on occasion and always a short distance. We have bigger cars for the long trips.
Appreciate 1
3tekcorps826.00
      08-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #22
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Oh.. yeah.. forgot one.

"Why doesn't the window go down back here, it's soooooo hot" kicking back of seats again
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50