F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Current Sky discounts!
ARMA SPEED

08-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

Current Sky discounts!

Just realised that the Sky 'deal' I got last year (£55 p/m for just about all the channels) has gone back up to £95 since July. We've got Sky+ HD and Multiroom and aren't interested in Q (couldn't see the difference between 4K HDR BBC World Cup coverage on iPlayer and HD via Sky on our 55" OLED TV) or broadband (quite happy with BT and in the middle of a 12 month contract with them anyway).

What deals (if any) have people got once their 12 months is up, using the cancelling subscription and waiting until last minute to see what's offered - think I got roughly 40% discount last year?

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      08-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry - thought I was in the OT section - could someone please move this if possible!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Move it all to virgin, faster internet, BT sport and Sky Sports and a decent wack cheaper. I have 200mb fibre optic BB and full tv pack including HD sky sports and bt sports for £70 pm.

You aren't going to get the best deals with sky as you are an existing customer, they love shafting their existing customers...
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Abrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 435d

The only way to get the best deals is to switch annually between sky and virgin. Switching from sky friends and family deal £39 all in, inc multi room to virgin. Virgin is currently offering £100 bill credit plus if you go through Quidco you get £120 cash back. So works out at £37 a month for full house bundle and 100 mb broadband. If you can’t get virgin phone up sky to cancel. They will put you through retention department and will offer 25% off initially but don’t accept it as they will improve to 50% aventually.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Would love to have Virgin - unfortunately our street hasn't been cabled so not an option for us - but thanks anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

I know quite a few people, in different parts of the UK who have had a very negative experience with Virgin. If all works fine and there is never a problem, it's good.

If anything goes wrong, their customer service is horrendous. I'd never touch Virgin, even with LobB's.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiverBird View Post
Just realised that the Sky 'deal' I got last year (£55 p/m for just about all the channels) has gone back up to £95 since July. We've got Sky+ HD and Multiroom and aren't interested in Q (couldn't see the difference between 4K HDR BBC World Cup coverage on iPlayer and HD via Sky on our 55" OLED TV) or broadband (quite happy with BT and in the middle of a 12 month contract with them anyway).

What deals (if any) have people got once their 12 months is up, using the cancelling subscription and waiting until last minute to see what's offered - think I got roughly 40% discount last year?

Thanks for the help
Cancel and ignore their calls for about two weeks - I did that and got 75% off.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #8
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Sky q is better all round. Interface is much better. I got it at no additional cost when resigning to a new 18 month deal.
Regarding deals. Get on the phone and tell them it's costing too much and you are going to have to leave if it cannot be reduced. Tell them what bt are offering (look on Web for bt deals). You will get at least 33% off without breaking a sweat. Make sure this also includes q, you will not regret it.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:00 AM   #9
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Would love to have Virgin - unfortunately our street hasn't been cabled so not an option for us - but thanks anyway.
Give me a PM I still have colleagues who work for Sky and I can see what friends and family deals they have.

It's only doable if you aren't married and have someone else in your property with you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:03 AM   #10
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
I know quite a few people, in different parts of the UK who have had a very negative experience with Virgin. If all works fine and there is never a problem, it's good.

If anything goes wrong, their customer service is horrendous. I'd never touch Virgin, even with LobB's.
I will NEVER use Virgin again for this reason. When me and my missus moved in together we wanted to move her Virgin to our new house. We then found out Virgin wasn't available in our new house so we told Virgin this and we were told we had to pay £170 cancellation fee. I pointed out I was happy to stay with them but they can't provide a service in my new house. They weren't willing to take any ownership of the problem (the fact they dont service my area even though it's a built up residential area). They were adamant I had to pay and I had a blistering argument with a woman who I'm convinced was Richard Branson's wife.

Ultimately I complained about the woman and got £40 taken off but still had to pay £130 because I wanted to move house. I'm convinced if I went all the way to court to contest it I would have a good case, but you know what it's like you end up paying just to save the hassle.

Sky's customer service on the other hand has generally been good.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:18 AM   #11
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

sky q is the way to go, it's probably better for you since you have multiroom but as has been said, the interface is much better and 4k does looks brilliant, f1 looks awesome! You just have to push sky and be prepared to go through with the cancellation for a couple of months.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:24 AM   #12
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Quote:

I will NEVER use Virgin again for this reason. When me and my missus moved in together we wanted to move her Virgin to our new house. We then found out Virgin wasn't available in our new house so we told Virgin this and we were told we had to pay £170 cancellation fee. I pointed out I was happy to stay with them but they can't provide a service in my new house. They weren't willing to take any ownership of the problem (the fact they dont service my area even though it's a built up residential area). They were adamant I had to pay and I had a blistering argument with a woman who I'm convinced was Richard Branson's wife.

Ultimately I complained about the woman and got £40 taken off but still had to pay £130 because I wanted to move house. I'm convinced if I went all the way to court to contest it I would have a good case, but you know what it's like you end up paying just to save the hassle.

Completely agree with your Sky comment - they have turned their customer service around.

Their product is good, pricing could and should be improved.

If anyone is unconvinced about Sky Q UHD, watch an F1 race - there is a clear and distinct improvement between 1080p and UHD - with the latter, you feel like you're at the track, a few feet away from the cars.

For those that can't tell the difference:

1) Don't buy a 4K TV from Tesco for £500 - a good OLED costs more, for a reason.
2) Adjust your viewing distance/ensure your TV screen size is suitable for viewing distance.
3) Make some effort to calibrate the picture settings - shop mode or default is horrendous.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:29 AM   #13
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

You really need a decent-sized TV (55" and above) to notice the benefits of 4K UHD when sitting about 3m away.

We've got Sky Q and Virgin broadband - best of both worlds but not the most cost-effective!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:46 AM   #14
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Sky, as have mentioned above, have made reducing your bill a lot easier. They don't mess about now and generally just see what deals are available and give them all to you. Last time I phoned them unrelated they looked to see what discounts I could get but hadn't already without prompting and reduced HD by £5.

Currently Paying £97 for phone, fibre, all channels and Q.

Q really is the way forward, wireless multiroom and all synced up to the main box plus access to youtube through the box too.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:26 AM   #15
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
Sky, as have mentioned above, have made reducing your bill a lot easier. They don't mess about now and generally just see what deals are available and give them all to you. Last time I phoned them unrelated they looked to see what discounts I could get but hadn't already without prompting and reduced HD by £5.

Q really is the way forward, wireless multiroom and all synced up to the main box plus access to youtube through the box too.
Also if you have multiroom the mini boxes act as a wireless extender giving better all round the house Wi-Fi.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 04:00 AM   #16
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post

Also if you have multiroom the mini boxes act as a wireless extender giving better all round the house Wi-Fi.
and you can screen cast to any of the boxes.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 04:46 AM   #17
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep

They're also currently getting Netflix added to the box and you can stream spotify through it too which can be useful.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #18
S111SYA
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320dM Sport Shadow Edition

I have q and it's great to be fair, we got it fairly early on in roll out so expected loads of problems but haven't had any.

I phoned up a while ago to talk to them about getting rid of some channels we don't watch to save some money and they knocked me nearly £30 a month off for some new type of package that got me everything I wanted to watch so I can't complain.

They are generally good at knocking the price down if you tell them its costing too much based on previous experience.

Last edited by S111SYA; 08-10-2018 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:04 AM   #19
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:

Thanks for the help
Interesting. I was on 40% discount from jan 2017 and they auto extended it for another 12 or 18 months. I phoned up to cancel last week and they confirmed that they would not be able to match or beat 40% now, but that they do give loyalty discounts to longer standing customers. So by cancelling i would be ruling myself out of whatever deal a three year plus customer would get.

Moving over to amazon fire plus potentially Netflix and went ahead with cancellation.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Quote:

My PA has complained she has been without broadband for two weeks. The engineer was supposed to attend last week but didn't and now she cannot get a hold of anyone. She has been on hold for over an hour.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #21
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
My PA has complained she has been without broadband for two weeks. The engineer was supposed to attend last week but didn't and now she cannot get a hold of anyone. She has been on hold for over an hour.
Tell her to go do the line test online - https://www.sky.com/manage/bb-and-talk#mybroadband & then scroll down to Broadband Health Checker

I built this will a development team and it calls to open reach APIs in the back end and it will determine what you need depending on the outcome of the Open Reach tests and you can book engineers online for about 60% of the issues.

I'm slightly proud of it
Appreciate 2
sahajesh2294.00
Soul_Glo13347.00
      08-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #22
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by richatha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
Tell her to go do the line test online - https://www.sky.com/manage/bb-and-talk#mybroadband & then scroll down to Broadband Health Checker

I built this will a development team and it calls to open reach APIs in the back end and it will determine what you need depending on the outcome of the Open Reach tests and you can book engineers online for about 60% of the issues.

I'm slightly proud of it
Sorry man I forgot to add. That's with virgin but still worth checking the line. Learn something new everyday @ you being part of it and so yes you should be proud! Cheers
Appreciate 0