BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > What would you do?

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose given the details in the OP?
2018 M3 Comp 23 33.82%
2019 M2 Comp 45 66.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

08-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
What would you do?

I'm aware this may not be the right section of forum to ask but I've been debating since yesterday what I should do so want to get more opinions.

I got an amazing deal on a 2018 M3 - Imola Red, Exec, DCT (6MT would be my choice but ok with DCT as well), ZCP - $81K. BMW is throwing in some individual colors on M3s recently to push the sales so Imola Red is no cost option. Otherwise, this would be a $86K car. The deal is invoice minus $500 minus $4500 incentives. So $10.5K off.

On the other hand, I already waited for the M2C and even though it won't be here till late October I'm still pretty excited about it. As much as I love the size of this car and don't mind spending more money on some upgrades, I can't stop thinking about Imola Red. I think that's the problem, I'm not super impressed by any colors on the M2C.

So, my question is, what would you do in this case?
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
Sebastian212az
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I'm aware this may not be the right section of forum to ask but I've been debating since yesterday what I should do so want get more opinions.

I got an amazing deal on a 2018 M3 - Imola Red, Exec, DCT (6MT would be my choice but ok with DCT as well), ZCP - $81K. BMW is throwing in some individual colors on M3s recently to push the sales so Imola Red is no cost option. Otherwise, this would be a $86K car. The deal is invoice minus $500 minus $4500 incentives. So $10.5K off.

On the other hand, I already waited for the M2C and even though it won't be here till late October I'm still pretty excited about it. As much as I love the size of this car and don't mind spending more money on some upgrades, I can't stop thinking about Imola Red. I think that's the problem, I'm not super impressed by any colors on the M2C.

Wrap the m2c in imola red lol
Appreciate 4
M-Pilot4859.00
HS_M2C118.50
      08-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
I'm aware this may not be the right section of forum to ask but I've been debating since yesterday what I should do so want to get more opinions.

You're not going to be happy no matter what you do, trust me. Only advice I have for you is pick what sucks the least for you and pray you don't have any regrets later.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      08-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
For me its about the size. Like the smaller M2C.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      08-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Since the weight is so close and the M3 is a lot more rare with the individual color I would go with the F80. It should hold decent value until the G series is out at least.

Or even better yet with your available budget (im assuming here) go get a Porsche Cayman GTS or something
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      08-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

It sounds cliche but make a pros/cons list based on your desires. Often writing it out the answer will become clear.
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
dmboone254972.00
      08-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Fenerbahce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

This would be an easier decision in favor of the M3 if it was a 6MT. You can't go wrong with Imola Red, but only you would know whether you'll be happy with the DCT.

Also, I have to ask, does it have a CF driveshaft?!
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      08-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #8
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Almost exact same thing happened to me 2 years ago as well. Right before my OG M2 order went into production I found a similar deal on an M4 ZCP. My M4 was Sakhir Orange with 6MT so never regretted it but not so sure if it'll be the same.

Pros of M2C
——————
-Small size (a big plus for me as I don't need 4 doors (yet))
-Even though it weighs almost as much as an M3/M4, there is so much potential to save 150+lbs without touching the interior. (M3/M4 already comes with lightweight parts so it's harder to reduce weight on them)
-I really like the look of M2C (except for the hideous muffler)
-It'll probably depreciate better than an F80 but I would lease the M3 anyway.
-6MT!!!

Cons of M2C
———————
-Color options suck IMO. Not a huge fan of any color.
-Needs certain upgrades to reduce weight and get rid of that muffler. In other words, more money needs to be spent...

Pros of M3
—————-
-Overall looks really good, especially those hips
-Love the color (Imola Red)
-Also love the look of CF roof
-4 doors, more practical (but don't really need 4 doors)

Cons of M3
——————
-It's not a small car.
-This particular one has DCT (not really a con but prefer 6MT)

These are the pros and cons I can think of right now. Nothing so major and that's why I cannot decide lol. But I guess I'm still more inclined towards the M2C for whatever reason. Maybe I need more time
Appreciate 1
pz6193278.50
      08-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
If money is not an issue, then IMO the m3 is the no brainer choice.

10.5 off of msrp and you get the car right now just seems better than full msrp and 2-3 months of wait.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      08-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:

You're not going to be happy no matter what you do, trust me. Only advice I have for you is pick what sucks the least for you and pray you don't have any regrets later.
This is probably what's gonna happen. I'll probably (slightly) regret either decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
This is probably what's gonna happen. I'll probably (slightly) regret either decision.
You end up paying about 5k more for MUCH more options, an upgraded car, individual color, and a killer deal, and you're having a hard time? Lol I love the new M2C but with those two options it's a no brainer.
      08-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #12
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

This is a super easy decision. I'd say m3 except for one crucial fact that I didn't know before I voted... 6MT vs DCT. You ordered the m2c with a manual which means when all things were equal, you weren't ready to go to DCT yet. Unless your driving/commute is more suited to a DCT, I promise you you'll regret the m3 on that decision alone. You'll be driving along tapping your left foot into space and wondering what is happening.

To be clear, I'm not knocking DCT at all. I just don't think you're ready. If you ordered the m2c w/ DCT, I'd stand by my original (not enough information) vote for the m3.

I was talked into a DCT at a dealership on a deal I couldn't pass up. Financially, it was a great deal but I wasn't ready yet. I've been back to manuals ever since. I'll eventually get there. I'm just not there yet.
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
Aloha Joe393.00
      08-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian212az View Post
Wrap the m2c in imola red lol
This is always an option but considering the money I'll spent for the upgrades (exhaust, wheels etc) if I spent another $5k for the wrap, total cost would be way over what this M3 is selling for.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #14
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
You end up paying about 5k more for MUCH more options, an upgraded car, individual color, and a killer deal, and you're having a hard time? Lol I love the new M2C but with those two options it's a no brainer.
More like $10k since my M2C order is 6MT but I see your point
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      08-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
This is a super easy decision. I'd say m3 except for one crucial fact that I didn't know before I voted... 6MT vs DCT. You ordered the m2c with a manual which means when all things were equal, you weren't ready to go to DCT yet. Unless your driving/commute is more suited to a DCT, I promise you you'll regret the m3 on that decision alone. You'll be driving along tapping your left foot into space and wondering what is happening.

To be clear, I'm not knocking DCT at all. I just don't think you're ready. If you ordered the m2c w/ DCT, I'd stand by my original, not enough information, vote for the m3.

I was talked into a DCT at a dealership on a deal I couldn't pass up. Financially it was a great deal but I wasn't ready yet. I've been back to manuals ever since. I'll eventually get there. I'm just not there yet.
Totally agree! I think I would love DCT for a couple months but in the long term I think I would miss the manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #16
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

M2c all the way. The M2c is a coupe and looks very aggressive with the right wheels on there. M3 blends in to much and is not so special anymore. Lots and lots of M3's around. Even the OG M2 is very rare these days. I've only seen 4 M2's in the last 3 years out in the wild in busy Southern California.

For rarity, fun factor, looks, M2c all the way.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      08-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #17
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

What's the worst that can happen? If you back out closer to delivery, any dealer will take your car from you with a smile. They'll have that sh*t marked up before you even finish your sentence. And there will definitely still be deals on other Ms in Q4 if it comes to that. Stay the course. Waiting is tough but it'll be worth it.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      08-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #18
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Almost exact same thing happened to me 2 years ago as well. Right before my OG M2 order went into production I found a similar deal on an M4 ZCP. My M4 was Sakhir Orange with 6MT so never regretted it but not so sure if it'll be the same.

Pros of M2C
——————
-Small size (a big plus for me as I don't need 4 doors (yet))
-Even though it weighs almost as much as an M3/M4, there is so much potential to save 150+lbs without touching the interior. (M3/M4 already comes with lightweight parts so it's harder to reduce weight on them)
-I really like the look of M2C (except for the hideous muffler)
-It'll probably depreciate better than an F80 but I would lease the M3 anyway.
-6MT!!!

Cons of M2C
———————
-Color options suck IMO. Not a huge fan of any color.
-Needs certain upgrades to reduce weight and get rid of that muffler. In other words, more money needs to be spent...

Pros of M3
—————-
-Overall looks really good, especially those hips
-Love the color (Imola Red)
-Also love the look of CF roof
-4 doors, more practical (but don't really need 4 doors)

Cons of M3
——————
-It's not a small car.
-This particular one has DCT (not really a con but prefer 6MT)

These are the pros and cons I can think of right now. Nothing so major and that's why I cannot decide lol. But I guess I'm still more inclined towards the M2C for whatever reason. Maybe I need more time
So you have 5 pros for M2C vs 4 for the M3, same amount of cons. If you need to break it down further for the pros/cons assign then a number. 1 for not really important and 5 for really important. That might help separate the two lists a little more.

Now for the editorial/opinion: As for the weight, it's the same as the M3. I know time is sort of a factor here, but at least my opinion is that the weight isn't noticeable. Really only one reviewer took significant issue with it out of all the reviews, so I would take it with a grain of salt.

Tough choice for sure, but I say go with what the numbers tell you. Truthfully, that's how I decided on HS as a color. Same as you I wasn't too excited about any of the colors, then I made a list/spreadsheet and was surprised when HS took the lead.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      08-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #19
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
More like $10k since my M2C order is 6MT but I see your point
Thats right! But if you already test drove the M3 and enjoyed it then I doubt you'll have buyers remorse
      08-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #20
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
M2c all the way. The M2c is a coupe and looks very aggressive with the right wheels on there. M3 blends in to much and is not so special anymore. Lots and lots of M3's around. Even the OG M2 is very rare these days. I've only seen 4 M2's in the last 3 years out in the wild in busy Southern California.

For rarity, fun factor, looks, M2c all the way.
The more I think about it, the more M2C outweighs for similar reasons. I don't think I'll be unhappy with either car. I'm coming from a 2016 M4 that I loved. The key question for me is "How much would I regret not getting the M2C if I saw one on the street while being in my F80" or vice versa "How much would I regret not getting the M3 if I saw one on the street while being in my M2C". It's hard to make this decision but I think seeing an M2C on the street while not owning one would hurt me more. I wish I could afford getting both lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #21
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep

I 100% feel your pain. If I had an m2/m4 already, it would be a tough decision but I'd likely still go m2c.

I have a 2014 b8.5 stage 1 s4 with 24k miles that I absolutely love. I'm a super low mile driver (work from home full time) so the local Audi dealer kept swapping me out of S4s every 18 months for a new one. Well, my SA went bye bye and I think they forgot about my sweet heart lease deal. So I bought it out of lease for well below what it's worth. The combo of an AWD rocket ship and this little coupe to throw around are what dreams are made of. I have no interest in 100k+ cars. I will have both of these cars for a very long time.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      08-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #22
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think you should buy the one that makes you smile the most.

If you loved the M4, isn't an M3 going to drive about the same?
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
BAN_M2C4185.00