F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sourcing F36 Front Bumper
Studio RSR

07-28-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
nawz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 440i

Sourcing F36 Front Bumper

Cutting a long story short, i need to replace my front bumper as it has been damaged and the person that attempted the repair hasn't done a great job of it...

I believe the part number I need is 51118061925.

My vehicle has no washer jets, but has all other senor holes (PDC, Park Assist and Surround View).

Anyone know where I can source possibly an aftermarket? Or alternatively, would buying a front bumper that have washer holes be a problem? Could they just not be permanent sealed?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 05:20 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

There are loads of breakers selling on e-bay. Surely the person who botched the repair should offer remedy to an unhappy customer?

The one with washer holes would require you to purchase washer heads and fix them into place. It won't look neat and will bump up your cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 05:45 AM   #3
nawz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
There are loads of breakers selling on e-bay. Surely the person who botched the repair should offer remedy to an unhappy customer?

The one with washer holes would require you to purchase washer heads and fix them into place. It won't look neat and will bump up your cost.
Basically, the damage on the bumper was a bit tricky. One bmw dealer said I would need a new front bumper, paint and labour would cost £1k, another dealer said they could reheat and repair for £600 and the bloke down the road said he could do the job for £100. I opted for the £100 Job, just to see how it would turn out. For the price it seemed a risk worth taking at the time. After his repair, it looked okay but I wasn't happy at all and yeah, I know now that I wouldn't be happy unless I change the front bumper and get it resprayed properly.

There aren't any reasonable breaker parts. The problem I have is that there are many after market front bumpers which have all the sensor holes for my car (pdc, pa, sv) but they have headlamp washer holes which I don't.

I don't mind buying the washer hole cover they're about £18 each (still cheaper than getting my exact bumper part).

But how do they fit into the bumper itself? Is it like a secure clip? If it is, I don't mind that.

Last edited by nawz; 07-29-2018 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawz View Post
Quote:

Basically, the damage on the bumper was a bit tricky. One bmw dealer said I would need a new front bumper, paint and labour would cost £1k, another dealer said they could reheat and repair for £600 and the bloke down the road said he could do the job for £100. I opted for the £100 Job, just to see how it would turn out. For the price it seemed a risk worth taking at the time. After his repair, it looked okay but I wasn't happy at all and yeah, I know now that I wouldn't be happy unless I change the front bumper and get it resprayed properly.

There aren't any reasonable breaker parts. The problem I have is that there are many after market front bumpers which have all the sensor holes for my car (pdc, pa, sv) but they have headlamp washer holes which I don't.

I don't mind buying the washer hole cover they're about £18 each (still cheaper than getting my exact bumper part).

But how do they fit into the bumper itself? Is it like a secure clip? If it is, I don't mind that.
They attach to the outside of the telescopic washer head. Which is why you will need to get creative with how you attach them. With a few millimetres gap around the circumference of the washer cover, anything you do will be visible close up so must be neat and tidy. PDC holes can be drilled if required.

So if he has butchered the paint would it be cheaper to have it resprayed? You get what you pay for applies. Is the guy down the road a business or individual privately operating?

Any photos of the work? We may be able to advise better on here.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
nawz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They attach to the outside of the telescopic washer head. Which is why you will need to get creative with how you attach them. With a few millimetres gap around the circumference of the washer cover, anything you do will be visible close up so must be neat and tidy. PDC holes can be drilled if required.

So if he has butchered the paint would it be cheaper to have it resprayed? You get what you pay for applies. Is the guy down the road a business or individual privately operating?

Any photos of the work? We may be able to advise better on here.
I'll take photos of the work once I claybar the front a bit...and see if I can somehow remove the excess paint blotches. Basically he painted in areas where it didn't need a respray. He's just a single person. I mean, I know you get what you pay for and I understood that once he said £100 hence I'm not overly bothered since I was willing to take the risk of what a £100 job would look like rather than forking out in excess of £600 haha.

To be honest, even I want a new front bumper now. My minds fixated on that. My concern now is how to people determine where to drill the sensor holes? I'm not sure any bumpers come with markings for parking assist and surround view sensors, do they?

Damage before:

After £100 repair:

Here you can see some of the poor paintwork in my opinion.

Here the chap scrapped a bit of the paintwork in trying to 'polish' away his poor paintwork - nothing that can't be easily remedied with touch up but still a bit of an annoyance

In all honesty, for £100 i don't think it's that bad - but you know when you feel your car isn't 100% it really affects me hahaha. Hence, the search for a replacement front bumper and respray. Most will say to maybe wait as the car will pick up stone chips or other hindrances and then do it. Since the stop-gap work is 'sufficient' for now.

Going to give the car a full clean once the weather settles down a bit...

Last edited by nawz; 07-29-2018 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 07:10 AM   #6
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

The non surround view bumpers don't have any cut outs or guides to follow. You would need to measure and mark your own. Probably using your existing bumper as the template. It could go wrong as there are many holes to drill. A proper sand down and respray is probably best. A professional outfit could do a better job.

Otherwise if you do want to upgrade your bumper then you have the cost of that and the paint.
Appreciate 0