F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Normal rating (91) or XL (95)?
proTUNING Freaks

07-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #1
F30Dave
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 320d xdrive

Normal rating (91) or XL (95)?

Hi
I am looking to replace all 4 tyres on my 320d Xdrive (F30) I have decided to stay with run flats and the Pirelli Cinturato P7 seem to be a good price and gets good reviews. When I look them up I get offered two types, a normal tyre at £147 or an XL at £165.
The XL is more fuel efficient and quieter but is described as being for heavier / high performance cars.
My questions are:
Would the XL be good for the 320d xdrive or are they for suv's etc?
If the XL is OK to use, would I notice the reduced noise and more importantly would I be likely to recoup the extra cash in reduced fuel bills?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

I used P7 runflats on a one series a few years ago and found them to be excellent all round tyres - and far quieter than the Bridgestones that were originally fitted.

BMW do not fit XLs from the factory - there isn't any need. In your case you'd be saving quite a bit by not fitting XLs. The difference in rolling resistance between the two tyres is going to be marginal and you'd be hard pressed to see a difference in fuel consumption outside of laboratory conditions. (Tyre pressure is likely to have more impact for instance).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
XL tyres also have slightly stiffer side-walls. You'll get a better ride on non-XLs and unless you're going to be carrying builders' rubble in the boot, there's no need for the higher load rating.

Also, if you want quietness and in general a better performing tyre then give up with the RTFs and get yourself some MP4S tyres. I did earlier this year and I can't believe the difference from the Bridgestone RFTs that were fitted at the factory. Quieter, much better ride, much better grip.

Remember that if you do keep RFTs:

- Max distance when flat is 50 miles at max 50 mph.
- Cost of RFTs is a lot higher and availability can be an issue.
- Generally speaking, RFTs can't be repaired.

How often do you get punctures? For me it's been at least 10 years.

If you do ditch the run-flats, get yourself a slime kit and compressor. Unless the damage is catastrophic then you'll likely get the tyre patched up pretty quickly. Some manufacturers (and BMW in some markets) supply non RFTs without a spare with such a repair kit, so it's not an unusual thing to do. My TT for example has no spare (nor spacesaver) but is supplied with regular tyres and an inflation kit,

Last edited by pdk42; 07-24-2018 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
F30Dave
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 320d xdrive

I have been told that non run flats are not a good idea with the xdrive as the transmission is designed around the run flat tyres.
I like the sound of the lower noise and reduced fuel bills with the XL but am concerned about the potential stiffer ride and I guess the higher likely hood of cracked alloys from potholes!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Dave View Post
I have been told that non run flats are not a good idea with the xdrive as the transmission is designed around the run flat tyres.
I like the sound of the lower noise and reduced fuel bills with the XL but am concerned about the potential stiffer ride and I guess the higher likely hood of cracked alloys from potholes!
There is not a lot of difference in stiffness between standard and XL tyres. The carcass is made slightly different (meaning stronger), as the tyre carries the extra load with increased pressure. The L.I. rating of the 95 XL is the same as the standard 91 at 2.5bar. It is extra pressure (2.9bar) which carries the additional load rating.

There is some risk moving from star marked approved tyres, with xDrive. Some tyres will work fine, but there is a risk if the rolling radius (rolling circumference) is not so close a tolerance as the approved tyres.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
...BMW do not fit XLs from the factory...
They do. My car came new with 95 on the rear, 91 on the front.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheSea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
...BMW do not fit XLs from the factory...
They do. My car came new with 95 on the rear, 91 on the front.
I stand corrected - I'll rephrase - they don't always.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #8
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Personally I'd only ever fit approved star marked tyres especially if the car is under warranty
My 328i has 91Y tyred so should be absolutely fine on a 320d
Appreciate 0