F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice for F32 420d
proTUNING Freaks

07-23-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d 2015 M Performance

Lightbulb Advice for F32 420d

Hey guys. Thought I'd come on this forum to get some expert advice from all you veterans since I'm quite a newbie so apologies for any ignorance.

I've recently got myself a 2015 F32 420d (first Beemer ) and was wondering what kind of BHP I could get on it if I were to max it out. By that I mean, remap ECU, get hybrid turbo, new inter-cooler, replace boost pipes and another remap after fitting new parts.

Obviously I'm not looking to blow up the engine block or drive train. Asking you guys to see what the engine can take in terms of max BHP and torque as I haven't been able to find much about this particular engine online when it comes to modifications. I've had friends tell me I'll be able to bring it up to something like 400 BHP which is a significant amount more than the M2 which I found hard to believe considering it's just a 2L diesel, while I've also had friends tell me that the parts won't be able to take compressions like that which will result in a lot of expensive changes which made sense but still unsure.

Anyway, if anyone would be able to give me an idea about the safest max BHP and torque I'd be able to bring it up to without any complications & what mods it require I'd appreciate it. Gotta be careful & have fun at the same time since this is my daily. Thanks!

If anyone's got any other tips/advice feel free to leave a post would appreciate!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:31 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Remap it and be done with it. With a hybrid turbo, I doubt you will make more than 280 bhp.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
What about chopping the 420d in for a 430d? Probably cost less overall plus you'll get an immediate 0-60 improvement of nearly 3s and a 50-75 improvement of 4s. Unless of course you're into the joys of modding

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      07-23-2018, 05:41 AM   #4
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

This doesn't answer your question .. but it would have been a lot easier to have just got a 435d instead and then spent £350 on a stage 1 remap to get close to 400bhp out of a diesel 4 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:47 AM   #5
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
This doesn't answer your question .. but it would have been a lot easier to have just got a 435d instead and then spent £350 on a stage 1 remap to get close to 400bhp out of a diesel 4 series.
I agree, also cheaper with less risk I would guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:48 AM   #6
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah. Trust me, would have leaped at the chance to get something bigger than a 2L. Unfortunately insurance is a struggle since I'm 21 and is already crazy expensive as it is. Would love to exchange it for a 430d+ but bought the car second hand so doubt that's even possible.

Just curious to see how much the engine can handle in terms of BHP and torque and what mods it would take to get it up there. Cheers for the comments so far!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #7
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Yes. Pointless exercise with a 20d - will cost more than a 35d if you want those sort of power levels, will be harder to insure, likely to be less reliable. A 35d will have uprated brakes etc as well. Don't see the point personally
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:51 AM   #8
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
What about chopping the 420d in for a 430d? Probably cost less overall plus you'll get an immediate 0-60 improvement of nearly 3s and a 50-75 improvement of 4s. Unless of course you're into the joys of modding
Forgive me but where did you get those fantasy figures for the 430d?

A 430d is around 1.5 seconds quicker 50-75 than a 420d both cars stock.
0-60 is nearly 2 seconds difference not 3.
Both cars Remapped stage 1 and the gaps in the times are even smaller!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:58 AM   #9
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post
Yes. Pointless exercise with a 20d - will cost more than a 35d if you want those sort of power levels, will be harder to insure, likely to be less reliable. A 35d will have uprated brakes etc as well. Don't see the point personally
Ah I see, alright. Cheers for the input. I'm not aiming for a specific power level. Asking to see what the 2L diesel engine is capable of and what mods it would take to get it there, just so I know what it's maximum capabilities are.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #10
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcami View Post
Yeah. Trust me, would have leaped at the chance to get something bigger than a 2L. Unfortunately insurance is a struggle since I'm 21 and is already crazy expensive as it is. Would love to exchange it for a 430d+ but bought the car second hand so doubt that's even possible.

Just curious to see how much the engine can handle in terms of BHP and torque and what mods it would take to get it up there. Cheers for the comments so far!
And you think your insurance is crazy now.... doubt anyone would insure you at all with all the engine mods if you went down that route.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #11
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
And you think your insurance is crazy now.... doubt anyone would insure you at all with all the engine mods if you went down that route.
Moving soon and should be able to get insured there with them, hence why I'm asking how much power I'd be able to get out of this engine without damaging it
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #12
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:

This is going to sound dull and boring but..

If you are only 21 I'd recommend leaving it as it is, at least for a few years. You've got 4 years driving experience at the most and it's sounds like this is your first rear wheel drive car. It will drive very differently to anything you've driven before.

At your age and experience you certainly don't want to be putting 400 bhp (even if it was possible) through a highly stressed 2 litre diesel. There's more to driving than 0-60 times. A well driven 420d will be just as fast down a country road as a poorly driven 430d.

Learn how the car handles, how it balances, how to correct it when the rear end comes out and basically just get more miles and experience under your belt. Then in a few years look at more power.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but I've seen too many young men who've put cars into ditches and trees because they had more power than they could handle.
Appreciate 4
Zippee363.50
Soul_Glo13347.00
      07-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #13
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

If you are only 21 I'd recommend leaving it as it is, at least for a few years. You've got 4 years driving experience at the most and it's sounds like this is your first rear wheel drive car. It will drive very differently to anything you've driven before.

At your age and experience you certainly don't want to be putting 400 bhp (even if it was possible) through a highly stressed 2 litre diesel. There's more to driving than 0-60 times. A well driven 420d will be just as fast down a country road as a poorly driven 430d.

Learn how the car handles, how it balances, how to correct it when the rear end comes out and basically just get more miles and experience under your belt. Then in a few years look at more power.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but I've seen too many young men who've put cars into ditches and trees because they had more power than they could handle.
Thanks for your input. I've been driving RWD cards for a couple years now, I know how to drift and can control over-steer when it's least expected - sometimes I enjoy when it over-steers without me trying because I'd be so into the drive I'm prepared for it - I also play a lot of Assetto Corsa and spend most of my free time drifting using the G29, but that doesn't mean that I am not cautious when driving or that I push my limits.

I'm quite obsessed haha, & I don't intend of remapping or trying to pull more power anytime soon. I appreciate the advice I really do, but the main reason for this thread was to ask how much power I'd be able to pull from the car when the day comes when I want more because I feel like most people on this forum would be able to give a more accurate bhp & torque value compared to if I had to estimate as well as have more knowledge about modding in general.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Personally, I'd go for the M Performance body kit.
No adverse effect on engine, drivetrain or critical components and an instant +100bhp.

Add an M Performance key cover and you'll be at +400bhp before you know it.
Appreciate 2
Zippee363.50
      07-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Personally, I'd go for the M Performance body kit.
No adverse effect on engine, drivetrain or critical components and an instant +100bhp.

Add an M Performance key cover and you'll be at +400bhp before you know it.
I bought the car with the M Performance body kit on it already. Pretty sure it doesn't give 100bhp+ haha.

Oh yeah forgot the M Performance key cover gives an extra 1000bhp. Lol.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #16
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Just stick a stage 1 remap on it .. 230bhp and won't cost much ... trust me it will go pretty well then... only around 0.3 seconds off a stock 430d 50-75mph
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #17
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Just stick a stage 1 remap on it .. 230bhp and won't cost much ... trust me it will go pretty well then... only around 0.3 seconds off a stock 430d 50-75mph
Cheers for the advice Yeah remap will get me 250bhp and 500 torque which sounds nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #18
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

Thanks for your input. I've been driving RWD cards for a couple years now, I know how to drift and can control over-steer when it's least expected - sometimes I enjoy when it over-steers without me trying because I'd be so into the drive I'm prepared for it - I also play a lot of Assetto Corsa and spend most of my free time drifting using the G29, but that doesn't mean that I am not cautious when driving or that I push my limits.

I'm quite obsessed haha, & I don't intend of remapping or trying to pull more power anytime soon. I appreciate the advice I really do, but the main reason for this thread was to ask how much power I'd be able to pull from the car when the day comes when I want more because I feel like most people on this forum would be able to give a more accurate bhp & torque value compared to if I had to estimate as well as have more knowledge about modding in general.
Echo the above and below comments, don't bother it's a 320d! A great car, be happy with what you have.

More worryingly because you play video games with a steering wheel, you think you have all the experience for a powerful RWD car? Think again!

That's the sort of attitude that causes crashes.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #19
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Quote:

Sorry but what in actual hell? You know how to drift because you've got a £100 racing wheel.

Seriously you are an utter dickhead.

How about you find a track that'll let you drift properly and I'll bung £100 in to see how good you are.

That is a legit offer. If you find a track in the south that will let you drift around like billy big balls I will put £100 to the cost to see how amazing you are.

Maybe then you'll think twice about comparing a flipping computer game to actually putting some power down in a rear wheel drive car.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13347.00
RustyBitz1573.50
      07-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

If you couldn't reach to a 430d then paying through the nose for modifications such as a hybrid turbo won't do you any favours either. You'll end up wanting more to get the most of the power and experience... lowering springs for example... if you are serious it might be worth getting some insurance quotes. There will need to be a budget for that.

Improve the ride quality and how it puts down the power first. Go for ACS springs or coil overs... budget and do one thing at a time so you don't have much debt or can afford it without borrowing.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #21
Zippee
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CP SMB

Max Vestappen is only 20. Michael may well be awesome behind the wheel. His 420d is probably holding him back.

Go for it Michael, will be interesting to see what you could get out of it.
Appreciate 1
Lagemba27.50
      07-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #22
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i MSport GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Quote:

Sorry but what in actual hell? You know how to drift because you've got a £100 racing wheel.

Seriously you are an utter dickhead.

How about you find a track that'll let you drift properly and I'll bung £100 in to see how good you are.

That is a legit offer. If you find a track in the south that will let you drift around like billy big balls I will put £100 to the cost to see how amazing you are.

Maybe then you'll think twice about comparing a flipping computer game to actually putting some power down in a rear wheel drive car.
I quite fancy joining the SAS, I've played all the call of duty games and am quite good.
Attached Images

Current mods: Mperformance rear spoiler, diffuser, side vinyls and front grille, non OEM carbon mirror caps, Remus cat back exhaust, Eibach springs, TPI spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front, Maxton side blades and v2 front splitter, Pipercross direct replacement air filter, Remus Powerizer.

Current:
F36 440i M Sport GC STORMTROOPER

Previous:
F30 320d M Sport Xdrive STORMTROOPER
Appreciate 2
RustyBitz1573.50
OneExtra810.50