BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-23-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
bher
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 6MT - SSII

E92: Tyre pressure for track use?

Hello,

My car is finally at 5000 km (end of break in) and I plan to track at Spa next week.
I used to play a lot with my tyre pressure to improve handling of my Lotus elise.
It is my first track day with the M3.
Do you Guys have recommended pressure front/rear?

BTW I am a little worried about the brakes but will let you know. I already ask the dealer if the performance brakes are an option and he said that the upgrade was for all series 3 model BUT NOT THE M3, unbelievable but true as he is also quite sport oriented...and interested $$.

Thanks

Benoît
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bher View Post
Hello,

My car is finally at 5000 km (end of break in) and I plan to track at Spa next week.
I used to play a lot with my tyre pressure to improve handling of my Lotus elise.
It is my first track day with the M3.
Do you Guys have recommended pressure front/rear?

BTW I am a little worried about the brakes but will let you know. I already ask the dealer if the performance brakes are an option and he said that the upgrade was for all series 3 model BUT NOT THE M3, unbelievable but true as he is also quite sport oriented...and interested $$.

Thanks

Benoît
Hi..
according to what I know about the use of standard tires on the track, I would suggest to use for example on the front , 2,8bar (if normally you use 2,4 bar on the standard roads).During the use on the track this 2,8 will become for sure about 3,2 bar.If you work with too low pressure you will damage the tire and the shoulder of the tire will work too much.
Different if you use the Sportcup, like the ones of the past CSL. You will inflate them at 1,8-1,9 bar so that under work the pressure will be approximately 2,2-2,4 bar. The shoulder (sorry I don't know how to describe better this portion of the tire) are really hard in these tires and will not be damaged like the standard ones.
As you know the standard tires have not to work over the 90degrees (celsius) and this also explain why they need to work at high pressure.
Last day in the track I operated (at about 20 pm and 30 degrees external temperature ), with 2,7 bar in front and 2,9bar in the back. No damages on the rear tires, some minor damages on the front tires.Good feeling anyway on the track.
Bye
      06-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
thooooorgal
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 = delivery feb 2008

Quote:
Hello,

... I plan to track at Spa next week.
Benoît

Hi Benoit,

i have no direct answer to your question, but i do not live far from you, and i'm interested to track also my car.

Can you give me more details on how you can go ride on spa-francorchamps ? cost ?

any infos on other tracks also ?

I have ride several times on francorchamps, but with my bike, not my car.

BTW, for the bike, we usually decrease the tyres pressures, so i'm a little confused with savage's answer.

For the bike, from 2.3/2.5 (front/ rear) to 2.1/1.9 ...

but of course, no 'tyre's shoulder' problem on a bike tyres.

any other views on this topic ?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
bher
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooooorgal View Post
Hi Benoit,

i have no direct answer to your question, but i do not live far from you, and i'm interested to track also my car.

Can you give me more details on how you can go ride on spa-francorchamps ? cost ?

any infos on other tracks also ?

I have ride several times on francorchamps, but with my bike, not my car.

BTW, for the bike, we usually decrease the tyres pressures, so i'm a little confused with savage's answer.

For the bike, from 2.3/2.5 (front/ rear) to 2.1/1.9 ...

but of course, no 'tyre's shoulder' problem on a bike tyres.

any other views on this topic ?
Thanks for your input.
I would be happy to see you at Spa.
I registered on www.marc-duez.be for the 2/07/2008. I pick the expert group, not because I am an expert but because Everybody choose the intermediate level , only a few are real beginners and almost nobody pick the expert. Nevertheless I already spend 10-12 track days at Spa, that should help also. If you now the lines it is OK unless if it's raining....
I will wait a bit before to decide for the tyre pressure, Thanks for the Italian input, I will enquire about the shoulder resistance...

Last edited by bher; 06-23-2008 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: correction on web address
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
thooooorgal
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 = delivery feb 2008

Quote:
Thanks for your input.
I would be happy to see you at Spa.
this event is sold out

Have fun there !

ps: if you are aware of any other events like that, do not hesitate to PM me.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
bher
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep

My other source for track days is www.lotus-on-track.com
They are very friendly AND professionnal, accept very nicelly other cars than Lotuses (I used to have one and will discover how it is with the M3)

Otherwise, the new www.belgiansontrack.be seems promising but not yet tried. Abbeville is fun with small and light car but too short for BMW,Porsche,...

Will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

depends on the type of tire. we have tires here and psi so I cant tell you about Bar in Tyres. but normally street tires are good between 38-42 psi when hot. the Michelins tend to prefer the lower end of the range. have fun.