BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Bought a 18 m2 from an authorized dealer out of town

07-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
bmwizgoat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 sti

Bought a 18 m2 from an authorized dealer out of town

It had 2600kms and a 500 km drive home. I found out that it hasn't had its break in service yet, how bad is this for the vehicle? I'm booked in first thing in the morning. Also, does the break in service cost money ?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

The break in service should be covered by BMW. I'm relatively new to the BMW world but I can't imagine 1000 km's over the break in service is going to cause any damage as I'm sure the fluids from the factory can last a full service interval and it's possible there's some additives for break in that shouldn't do any harm if driven a little longer. Just make an appointment with your local dealer to get this done as soon as they can.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is very common. I purchased a CPO'd M4 with 11k and it never had the service recorded...so no one new if it had been done. I ran it hard up to 26k and all was fine.
Check what the transferable coverage is on the 18's but the dealer might just do it anyways regardless
Appreciate 0