F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Front splitter vs bumper repair?
Studio RSR

06-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Front splitter vs bumper repair?

I have a 2013 328i xdrive with msport which has some scrapes and dings at the bottom of the front bumper. I was thinking about having it repainted and then got to thinking that a front splitter may cost about the same and would cover the scratches/dings. I do have DINAN suspension so car is lowered about an inch but it's xdrive so not quite as low as rwd.

What do you guys think? Go for the splitter instead or too low and will get dinged bad anyway so just do repair and repaint? Mine is sapphire black so l welcome pics of that color with a splitter. I do have the rear msport spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
this is literally the same debate I am having now, I am interested to see other peoples perspectives. I would want to put the lip on regardless of repainting but the other argument is why bother repainting before covering it up with a lip.
      06-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

scraping the front is inevitable i think its pointless to spend hundreds to repaint the bottom in which no one will ever see anyways

my car is lowered with varis cf lip and it scraps alot but i cud care less since its scratching the lip and il probably get another one soon.

i would add the lip for the pure cosmetic reason.
      06-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

I just installed a replica M Sport front splitter and I have xDrive and NOT lowered and the front clearance went from 7.5 inches in the middle to now 4.75 inches in the center! I scraped the 1st day I drove it down an incline!!!

But I don’t worry about it as mine was a replica and was dirt cheap from eBay and I can buy a new one and install it in 15 minutes if I destroy it.

Unless you can clearly see severe damage on your bumper while standing up, I’d just ignore it since you might scrape it a week later after you have it painted. Installing the M Sport splitter gives your care a more aggressive look and you will quickly forget about the cosmetic damage that it’s hiding.

Go to YouTube and check out Kies Motorsports video where Brian installs the front splitter on his M Sport front bumper which looked like it’s been to a few off road races. Good luck.

Last edited by dsc888; 06-21-2018 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: YouTube Link Added
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
I just installed a replica M Sport front splitter and I have xDrive and NOT lowered and the front clearance went from 7.5 inches in the middle to now 4.75 inches in the center! I scraped the 1st day I drove it down an incline!!!

But I don’t worry about it as mine was a replica and was dirt cheap from eBay and I can buy a new one and install it in 15 minutes if I destroy it.

who did you order from and how was the fitment?
      06-23-2018, 03:07 AM   #6
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Nate View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323180006361

I bought this exact item. For some reason, the seller somehow updated the pricing and apparently move the decimal one place too far and now it's 10x the original cost!

Like my replica rear diffuser, fitment is 95%. You will have minor gaps at the apron as it's held on with double stick tape. But only you would know. If our care is a darker color, you won't even see the minor gaps. The OEM one from dealers is like $450+ so you are paying 1/4 the money. I was just impressed that the item was assembled out of the box with metal rivets and all the mounting screws (4) were included. I did add some additional 3M tape to the top edge of the apron, per most YouTube install videos.

If absolute fitment is paramount, go with BMW OEM. But remember that you have to get the Beta-Link adhesive as well to superglue it to your front bumper, which makes removal a pain in the ass in case you want to get rid of it or replace/adjust it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I bought this exact item. For some reason, the seller somehow updated the pricing and apparently move the decimal one place too far and now it's 10x the original cost!

Like my replica rear diffuser, fitment is 95%. You will have minor gaps at the apron as it's held on with double stick tape. But only you would know. If our care is a darker color, you won't even see the minor gaps. The OEM one from dealers is like $450+ so you are paying 1/4 the money. I was just impressed that the item was assembled out of the box with metal rivets and all the mounting screws (4) were included. I did add some additional 3M tape to the top edge of the apron, per most YouTube install videos.

If absolute fitment is paramount, go with BMW OEM. But remember that you have to get the Beta-Link adhesive as well to superglue it to your front bumper, which makes removal a pain in the ass in case you want to get rid of it or replace/adjust it.
Quote:
Quote:

lol wth thanks man! I sent the seller a message asking if it was a typo. hopefully he gets back to me.soon, my car is Estoril so it may show the gap a little but at a 1/4 of the price I'm not overly concerned about it.