BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis / Spacers

Mporium BMW

06-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
FS: E92 M3 OEM Calipers, pads and rotors

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Off my car with about 3800 miles on them, the OEM calipers, rotors and pads from my E92 M3. They are in great shape.

I don't know how much to ask for them so we'll start at $1000 OBO.

Last edited by badfish; 11-11-2008 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
eeeboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08M3 Space Gray DCT

Since the M3 came out this year, eveyone get's pads and rotors for free for the next 4 years, because of the maintenance warranty right?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeboy View Post
Since the M3 came out this year, eveyone get's pads and rotors for free for the next 4 years, because of the maintenance warranty right?
I wonder if they are retrofitable to another model?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I wonder if they are retrofitable to another model?
I hate to be the bearer of mediocre news...

The rears might be able to cross to another model but they'd be a poor match to regular 3-series stock front brakes. The fronts are completely different than other 3's because the E9x M3 uses the E60 M5 front wheel bearing assembly. To use the M3 rotor and caliper bracket, you need the M3 knuckle. To use the M3 knuckle, you need M3 dampers and control arms. To use M3 control arms, you need an M3 subframe. It's not an option.

How about putting them on an M5 or M6? Well, because the 360 mm disks are smaller than the stock M5/M6 disks, they can't use them.

As for finding a buyer with an M3, well, a complete set of four brand new M3 rotors from a US dealer is $900. That means that the used kit that's for sale is worth maybe $500 - the rotors are worth a bit but the calipers and pads are pretty much value-free. The pads are used, and the calipers won't be of use to anyone that can use them for about another five years.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:

so true.
      06-28-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
I hate to be the bearer of mediocre news...
Ok now for educational purposes, help me understand this. I'm looking at the calipers now. I've seen guys make brackets to fit virtually any caliper to any car. Somehow this won't fit other cars? How come they can't make these calipers fit another car if they can make a bracket for the Stoptech ST60 and ST40 calipers on my car? I'm just curious, not being argumentative. I'm in no rush to sell these, just putting them on the market for someone to retrofit. I wasn't aware of rotors costing more than calipers...
      06-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Free 4-year maintenance

Quote:
Only US owners, I believe (Canada?)

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Ok now for educational purposes, help me understand this. I'm looking at the calipers now. I've seen guys make brackets to fit virtually any caliper to any car. Somehow this won't fit other cars? How come they can't make these calipers fit another car if they can make a bracket for the Stoptech ST60 and ST40 calipers on my car? I'm just curious, not being argumentative. I'm in no rush to sell these, just putting them on the market for someone to retrofit. I wasn't aware of rotors costing more than calipers...
There are three things that all have to work together to make these brakes fit and perform. The caliper bracket, the caliper and the rotor. The dimensions that matter are the relative locations of the caliper bracket bolts to each other and to the centerline and facing plane of the wheel bearing, all of which are determined by the knuckle design.

Usually within a BMW car series, they keep these spatial relationship dimensions constant and change the three components so that brakes from a model with large brakes are interchangeable with its smaller brethren, provided you use matching rotors, calipers and brackets.

What's different with the E9x M3 is that the M3 front wheel bearing is borrowed from the E6x M5/M6 and it's mounted on a specially designed knuckle. While it's possible that the critical dimensions for interchangeability were maintained, BMW themselves probably didn't consider it a priority. Their focus was on making the M3 work, not on making sure that M3 parts would fit a series of cars they weren't made for.

So, specifically - could an adapter be made? - maybe. If a skilled machinist was working on their own car, it'd be do-able. For an enthusiast looking for an upgrade it would be cheaper to just buy a BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
BUMP! $1k for the OEM M3 setup. If you want to retrofit these brakes, I have someone I can refer you to.