E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > electrical failure

06-09-2018, 01:59 AM   #1
des16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi

electrical failure

I had a belt break which. caused damage throughout the engine. The BMW service center says I need to replace the following:

Cooling fan
Power steering pump
Belt and Tensioner
Oil Filter Housing Gasket
Oil Service
Battery

He is quoting me $3600 plus tax. I am the original owner, the car has 125K miles, and I have maintained it meticulously. I have also spent a lot of money replacing parts, censors, breaks, etc over the past 2 years. I am not prepared to dump another 4K into the car. I have been looking for a independent service center within towing range of my area (car is in Syracuse presently) who might do the work for a more reasonable price. But so far, no luck. Any suggestions? Any ideas on selling a car that is not running and cannot be driven?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 03:49 AM   #2
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

That estimate is way too high.
Do you work on cars? Most of that work is pretty straight forward. I'm having a hard time imagining how that much damage could occur from a belt failing. Definitely get a second opinion.
Keep in mind that the e90 engines are known to ingest the belts. Basically the belt shreds get wrapped around the crank pulley and stuffed through the seal. Once inside the engine, they get chopped up and plug the oil pickup, then serious damage can occur. Make sure there aren't belt pieces behind the crank pulley, and make sure that seal is in good shape.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      06-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Rocketsurgeon is correct, that estimate is an extremely high dollar amount - if it is only for the parts you listed. Both the BMW & Bentley manuals show the repair/replace procedures for the listed parts as straightforward and relatively simple.

Bonus: the parts are not that expensive, either.

If possible, I would try the repair myself. If that's not possible, then it's time for a second (or third?) shop's estimate.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Selling car like this not running but with full service history would prolly get you $3-4K max, but can be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by des16 View Post
I had a belt break which. caused damage throughout the engine. The BMW service center says I need to replace the following:

Cooling fan
Power steering pump
Belt and Tensioner
Oil Filter Housing Gasket
Oil Service
Battery

He is quoting me $3600 plus tax. I am the original owner, the car has 125K miles, and I have maintained it meticulously. I have also spent a lot of money replacing parts, censors, breaks, etc over the past 2 years. I am not prepared to dump another 4K into the car. I have been looking for a independent service center within towing range of my area (car is in Syracuse presently) who might do the work for a more reasonable price. But so far, no luck. Any suggestions? Any ideas on selling a car that is not running and cannot be driven?
Why would you take a 125k miles car to a stealership? Look up yelp for reputable independent mechanics. I'd say about $1500 at indie. Ask them to check VCG and OPG as well.

As others have pointed out OFHG leak on e90 engines may cause the belt to get dislodged and wrapped around the shaft. Make sure belt did not get sucked into engine.
Appreciate 0