E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Calling All Ebay Body Modders

06-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Calling All Ebay Body Modders

Ebay is the land of dreams where you can find 3 piece body kits like this for under $200: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-07-10-B...-/191779984388

Of course common sense says this is more trouble than its worth with endless fitment and painting issues. But I am curious. Surely some of you have attempted to use stuff like this. How did it go? Better or worse than expected? Pics would be appreciated.
      06-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

I actually purchased an M3 styled front/rear bumper and rocker panel kit like 3-4 years ago for a grand or so, PPO material I think it was. The parts were great according to my body guy Chuck, BUT he told me afterwards that fitment was a pain in the balls! I'm just glad I'd established a great business relationship with the guy through the years, had I been a first time customer, he may have told me to "take a hike". But you know, these guys pulled it off and I'm damn glad they did.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
There are good fitting eBay body parts out there but they are few and fair between. Find something that has been reviewed before.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
I actually purchased an M3 styled front/rear bumper and rocker panel kit like 3-4 years ago for a grand or so, PPO material I think it was. The parts were great according to my body guy Chuck, BUT he told me afterwards that fitment was a pain in the balls! I'm just glad I'd established a great business relationship with the guy through the years, had I been a first time customer, he may have told me to "take a hike". But you know, these guys pulled it off and I'm damn glad they did.
Do you have any pics? Also was there any issue getting it painted? I've heard from other people that the cheap parts dont take to paint very well and flaked/cracked quickly.
      06-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
cgtheboy
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I recently purchased m3 front and rear along with the side skirts. Well two sets of side skirts actually.The seller refunded my money on the first set. The bumper covers fit fine. The side skirts aren't as easy . The clips break easily and the hump starts in the middle of the rear door. Don't believe the pics . These are all made in the same place BTW . Oh and the fog lights hit the brake ducts and the underbody panels don't fit 100% either. On another note a seller told me that these are all Chinese companies making this stuff and it's basically a money wash so quality control is not really a consideration. Good Luck !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
n50four
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sport; '01 330i Sport

My body shop was very surprised at the fitment of these Taiwanese replicas.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Indyeah141.00
      06-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
Pixel8ed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

I bought an M3 front bumper cover rep. But through Amazon because returns are a breeze.

Fitment is great. But a few of the holes underneath didn't line up. but being plastic, it was easily fixed. But what you can see standing in front of the car is great.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyeah View Post
Do you have any pics? Also was there any issue getting it painted? I've heard from other people that the cheap parts dont take to paint very well and flaked/cracked quickly.

It's been more than 2 years now and still GTG! I did notice a small chip on the very front bottom of the bumper, but that's from road debris. Everything's holding up well otherwise man. You know, when it comes to aftermarket stuff, it's hit or miss. The one piece of advice I can give, is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, and then RESEARCH some more! I didn't just dive in with the pieces I ended up buying and asked a shit ton of questions of the seller and when I was able, the manufacturer or distributor themselves. I finally ended up with answers that satisfied me THEN I pulled the trigger. I know, it seems like a ton of work, BUT it could mean happiness and money well spent or anger/frustration and hard earned cash down the toilet. Good luck Indy.