E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My dash looks like a Christmas tree.

06-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
Jacobharris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i x-drive coupe

My dash looks like a Christmas tree.

I have a 2009 BMW 328i xDrive Coupe with 88k on it.

Right, so my check engine light has been on for roughly a month. I've had the "code" read multiple times, however, it reads blank or has no code attached. Tried to reset by un-hooking the battery for an hour- no luck. Please send suggestions!

Also, I just painted my starting-to-rust brake calipers metallic blue. Looks great. However, that triggered one of the brake sensors to go completely wack. At first it was lighting up yellow. Now it's red. I've tried the whole BC-stick reset method but had had no success. Please give me suggestions. (Yes, all of my brakes have pad left. No, my emergency brake isn't engaged.)

To accompany the first two array of lights, I'm also getting a symbol of a car on a lift. Not even sure what this one means, but I want it gone. This started occurring right after I painted the brakes as well.

There's nothing wrong with the vehicle (besides maybe a sensor getting damaged by paint) so I'm not really sure why I'm getting all of these lights. If anyone has any sort of suggestions for me, your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
giorgi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

hi, does it looks like a this?
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
Jacobharris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgi View Post
hi, does it looks like a this?
Haha, luckily it is not that bad. I did some more inspecting on the brake sensors and just decided to deactivate them (snip the tip and twist the wires together). So I've solved my brake sensor issue. That also solved my car on a lift warning light issue.

I do still however have an engine check light with no code though. So I'm not sure what to do about that. I tried letting my battery sit disconnected for 45 minutes but that did nothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

How did you get it scanned? The errors are there for a reason. Take it to a qualified BMW independent or buy a proper scanner to check what faults are being triggered. Disconnecting your battery isn't going to do anything. FYI those brake sensors are like $10... may as well actually replace them and have the car function as it was designed...

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2425.00
      06-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
Jacobharris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
How did you get it scanned? The errors are there for a reason. Take it to a qualified BMW independent or buy a proper scanner to check what faults are being triggered.
Took it to autozone twice and o'rileys once. Tried the code reader my uncle bought- still no errors. The code seems to be faulty. I'm really not sure.

As for the brake sensors, I've read about plenty of users on the forums doing the same thing I did to disable them.

For me, it will be a temporary fix as I couldn't stand looking at the Christmas tree dash any longer. Will buy replacement sensors soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

A weak battery is also known to cause Christmas display
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobharris View Post
Took it to autozone twice and o'rileys once. Tried the code reader my uncle bought- still no errors. The code seems to be faulty. I'm really not sure.

As for the brake sensors, I've read about plenty of users on the forums doing the same thing I did to disable them.

For me, it will be a temporary fix as I couldn't stand looking at the Christmas tree dash any longer. Will buy replacement sensors soon.
As SexSpd said, there are definitely errors there.

The jabronis at AutoZone won't have a scanner capable of picking up the subtleties of BMW error codes. Domestic vehicles usually have only two possible error codes: engine broke no work; and transmission broke no work. BMW's have 1000's of possible codes, including errors for burnt-out dome lights.

Head over to an indy shop and get them to scan your car. I'm sure there are codes there.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
I have a 2009 BMW 328i xDrive Coupe with 88k on it.

Right, so my check engine light has been on for roughly a month. I've had the "code" read multiple times, however, it reads blank or has no code attached. Tried to reset by un-hooking the battery for an hour- no luck. Please send suggestions!

Also, I just painted my starting-to-rust brake calipers metallic blue. Looks great. However, that triggered one of the brake sensors to go completely wack. At first it was lighting up yellow. Now it's red. I've tried the whole BC-stick reset method but had had no success. Please give me suggestions. (Yes, all of my brakes have pad left. No, my emergency brake isn't engaged.)

To accompany the first two array of lights, I'm also getting a symbol of a car on a lift. Not even sure what this one means, but I want it gone. This started occurring right after I painted the brakes as well.

There's nothing wrong with the vehicle (besides maybe a sensor getting damaged by paint) so I'm not really sure why I'm getting all of these lights. If anyone has any sort of suggestions for me, your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas! jk..

Test your battery.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
Jacobharris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Quote:

As SexSpd said, there are definitely errors there.

The jabronis at AutoZone won't have a scanner capable of picking up the subtleties of BMW error codes. Domestic vehicles usually have only two possible error codes: engine broke no work; and transmission broke no work. BMW's have 1000's of possible codes, including errors for burnt-out dome lights.

Head over to an indy shop and get them to scan your car. I'm sure there are codes there.

Best of luck.
Hahaha, this actually made me laugh reading.

Anyways, I'll definitely check out an "Indy shop" ! Thanks!

But first, what exactly is an Indy shop?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:00 AM   #10
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:

Independent mechanic ("indy"). In our case, one who specializes in BMW's or German vehicles in general.

They'll probably read your codes for free, whereas the dealership will charge you one hour ($150 CAD where I live) just to read them.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2018, 12:18 AM   #11
Jacobharris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Quote:

Independent mechanic ("indy"). In our case, one who specializes in BMW's or German vehicles in general.

They'll probably read your codes for free, whereas the dealership will charge you one hour ($150 CAD where I live) just to read them.
Ahh so what would be the easiest way in finding one? Simple google search for independent mechanic or what?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #12
E92booost
Rep
Drives: E92 6 speed 335i

You also can't clear the faults unless car is not running and the ignition is on, there are deff codes if not pending in your ecu.. if your in NY I'll get it gone for free
      06-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

the other option is to buy a cable and setup ista yourself.

look in the coding section for BMW tools and the like.

then you can read it yourself and do other maintenance things like resetting your transfer case after you change the oil.
Appreciate 0