E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering wheel angle sensor or SZL???

06-02-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

Steering wheel angle sensor or SZL???

Hello my fellow bmw enthusiasts.
I have a bit of an issue with my 06 330xi

THE ISSSUE
The DSC and brake light are on. The air bag and seatbelt light comes on/off randomly while driving. The wipers work but will shut off randomly and not come back on until I shut car off. The blinkers work but wont shut themselves off while turning.

WHAT IVE TRIED
I first tried just clearing codes (carly) and recalibrating the steering wheel sensor. The codes would go off dash and work until what would seem like when car uses start assist and light will come back on.

This did work so I attempted to clean the steering wheel angle sensor using this post here
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520467

My disk looked clean but I cleaned it anyway along with the reader using 70% alchohol. Possibly some scratches in the disk and it seems a little loose.
I put everything back together and reset codes, recalibrated sensor and codes went away but when trying to drive the dsc light would flash and hesitate the cars ability to drive until all lights came on again.

FAULT CODES IM RECIEVING FROM OBD

How do I determine the problem from here?

Where do I go from here? Is it a faulty SZL or is it just the sensor and how does one go about determining that? I hate buying parts I'm not certain are going to fix the issue. Any help on what steps I should take next to get this issue resolved would be amazing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Acornell77; 06-05-2018 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:30 AM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you have to post codes here
      06-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #3
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have updated the original post with pictures of my fault codes. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Acornell77; 06-05-2018 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 03:40 AM   #4
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have used steering column in my cart ready to purchase but I know it needs to be programmed to the vehicle so I'm skeptical on purchasing it then paying for alignment and programming with not being 100% positive that's what I need.

Any input could be useful to me or others in the future. Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep

No one has any input? Bump
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

i think that there is problem with DSC module under hood or it's communication with car ove PT-CAN or K-CAN because symptoms in first post mean much more than streering angle sensor
since you have used car without warranty you need either replace suspicious modules or get oscillograph to diagnose CAN-bus operation and find which module have problem with CAN-bus
      06-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
i think that there is problem with DSC module under hood or it's communication with car ove PT-CAN or K-CAN because symptoms in first post mean much more than streering angle sensor
since you have used car without warranty you need either replace suspicious modules or get oscillograph to diagnose CAN-bus operation and find which module have problem with CAN-bus
This would seem logical. I've open the steering wheel 3xs and its clean as a whistle and looks all intact (even inspected contacts with magnify glass).

I just ordered the pro K+D-Can from bimmerGeeks
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-page/bimmergeeks-pro-cable

Should I be able to further diagnose the issue with this cable and software?
If so how would one attempt this?

Thus far I've always been to scared to attempt these things and brought my car to dealership but my financial situation lately has me unable to do so and I feel confident I can do this myself just dont want to throw money at the car and pray.

I really appreciate your time 😁
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 02:24 AM   #8
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

the cable will help you with modules replacement adaptation
but i also suggest you to check if there water in engine compartment boxes, one with Engine ECU on passenger side and one where DSC located
      03-21-2022, 07:51 AM   #9
virtual_law
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i auto stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acornell77 View Post
This would seem logical. I've open the steering wheel 3xs and its clean as a whistle and looks all intact (even inspected contacts with magnify glass).

I just ordered the pro K+D-Can from bimmerGeeks
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable

Should I be able to further diagnose the issue with this cable and software?
If so how would one attempt this?

Thus far I've always been to scared to attempt these things and brought my car to dealership but my financial situation lately has me unable to do so and I feel confident I can do this myself just dont want to throw money at the car and pray.

I really appreciate your time 😁
In the same boat, did you get to the bottom of this?

Also wanted to ask, which part number does one use to match with other SZL units? There's a bunch of stickers on the actual szl module on mine.
Appreciate 0