2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Odd Size Spare Wheel On Xdrive?

05-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
mgattmch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650iX GC

Odd Size Spare Wheel On Xdrive?

Nearly two years ago I replaced the stock RFT tires (Goodyear Eagle LS2 245/40R-19) with conventional tires (Dunlop Signature HP All Season) on my 2012 550i Xdrive. I could not be happier with the results, handling is fine and the ride is much smoother/quieter. The only (?) downside is I have no spare wheel in the event of a flat. My question is; can I use a standard size wheel (say a 16" rim) as a temporary spare? Will running an odd size wheel for a short distance damage the Xdrive system?

Yes, by mistake I posted the same question twice! Can anyone tell me how to remove the superfluous post?

Last edited by mgattmch; 05-31-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgattmch View Post
Nearly two years ago I replaced the stock RFT tires (Goodyear Eagle LS2 245/40R-19) with conventional tires (Dunlop Signature HP All Season) on my 2012 550i Xdrive. I could not be happier with the results, handling is fine and the ride is much smoother/quieter. The only (?) downside is I have no spare wheel in the event of a flat. My question is; can I use a standard size wheel (say a 16" rim) as a temporary spare? Will running an odd size wheel for a short distance damage the Xdrive system?

Yes, by mistake I posted the same question twice! Can anyone tell me how to remove the superfluous post?
well here's the thing. everyone says it's bad for your xDrive system to run a different diameter wheel, but then you got manufacturers such as Mazda who put a temporary spare tire into the trunk anyways, regardless whether the car is AWD or FWD.

so, can you do it? probably. is it worth the risk? probably not. If you're gonna get a spare, i'd suggest to get one of the proper size. you can check https://www.willtheyfit.com/ to figure that out.
Appreciate 0