E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Understeer after new suspension

05-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Shon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Understeer after new suspension

I recently went through a suspension overhaul and now getting horrible understeer on twisty roads and corners. Most noticeably after getting new tires. Previously had Hankook V12s.

Here's what I did so far.

Koni FSD with front lowering perches and new top mounts
Sway bar endlinks and bushings. Front only
M3 TRW control arm and wishbone Front
M3 TRW guide rods upper and lower Rear
New Michelin PS4 tires 265/35/18 rear and 235/40/18 front.[IMG][/IMG]
Alignment specs attached.

I am thinking I do need stiffer sway bars and looking Eibach kit which includes 28mm front and 15mm back. Should I even bother with rear sway bar or just upgrade the front to e93 28mm?. Any other suggestions?.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
I recently went through a suspension overhaul and now getting horrible understeer on twisty roads and corners. Most noticeably after getting new tires. Previously had Hankook V12s.

Here's what I did so far.

Koni FSD with front lowering perches and new top mounts
Sway bar endlinks and bushings. Front only
M3 TRW control arm and wishbone Front
M3 TRW guide rods upper and lower Rear
New Michelin PS4 tires 265/35/18 rear and 235/40/18 front.[IMG][/IMG]
Alignment specs attached.

I am thinking I do need stiffer sway bars and looking Eibach kit which includes 28mm front and 15mm back. Should I even bother with rear sway bar or just upgrade the front to e93 28mm?. Any other suggestions?.
well first off, you need a sway bar in the rear as well which i'm sure has something to do with your suspension not feeling right.

I would recommend Eibach, yes. your Koni suspension is not as good as something like Bilstein, but it should suffice.

lastly, you need to adjust your alignment. get some camber plates for the front axle and dial in your front negative camber just a little more. if you like to push your car hard, around -1.5 should be good. this will help increase your front-axle grip.

what sort of wheels are you running? if your new tires are not run-flats, you may want to get an alignment to compensate for that as well. non run-flat tires require a different alignment for optimal performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
Shon
Lieutenant
Rep

I went Koni for a comfortable ride. Atlanta freeways are very uneven and not paved.

My front camber is maxed out with alignment pins removed. Wheels are stock style 197s. Tires are Michelin PS4.

I just bought e92 M3 sway bar set locally. Will install next week and report. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
RomKaN54
Enlisted Member
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
I went Koni for a comfortable ride. Atlanta freeways are very uneven and not paved.

My front camber is maxed out with alignment pins removed. Wheels are stock style 197s. Tires are Michelin PS4.

I just bought e92 M3 sway bar set locally. Will install next week and report. Thanks
Have similar setup as yours even have M3 rear control arms and solid subframe bushings. On high-speed turn car feels like its fighting side to side. Was thinking same thing to get stiffer front sway bar.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Shon
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: installed front e92 M3 sway bar and felt some improvement. Now I can feel the rear is a little loose. Next week I'll install rear sway bar and subframe inserts.
Appreciate 0