BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 COMP + Dinan anyone?

05-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
M2 COMP + Dinan anyone?

I read a post, that I happen to somewhat agree with, about M2LCI plus Dinan is almost as good or better than M2 Comp.
But has anyone besides me budgeted for Dinan upgrades for the Competition?
I am looking at current M2 P2 (power package) for about $7500 not installed.
I know the starting numbers are different for m3 vs m2comp but Im quite excited about adding @60-70 hp and @100 tq to this small but somewhat heavy car. I will forgo the Roof surgery and spend that 2k+ on power. Also looking to get the upgraded wheels and possibly the carbon hood.
Anyone have any experience with the M3 w/Dinan?
BAN_M2C4154.50
      05-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Dinan always advertises their crank HP/torque numbers and they are usually not inline with real life gains (you can find several threads under M3/M4 subforums). I think Dinan is just total waste of money and I rather get a flash tune for the fraction of how much Dinan costs. BM3 or BPM flash tune is the way to go IMO. I'm personally planning to get a genuine M4 CS tune from BPM after my break-in service.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I would prefer a software flash but I am worried about this "Shadow Codes" BMW's DME is now capable of storing that's automatically triggered when the EEPROM data is re-written, i.e. aftermarket tunes...

I guess the safest way to go is to use a piggyback in which the increased boost pressure is not too front-loaded and more linear, such as Dinan..

They're required to open a PUMA case with every S55 repair also, according to the guy below..

***201101, DME, tamper protection, recognized program or data manipulation***

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=20768281

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1142408

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1455263
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I would prefer a software flash but I am worried about this "shadow codes" BMW's DME is now capable of storing that's automatically triggered when the EEPROM data is re-written, i.e. aftermarket tunes...

I guess the safest way to go is use a piggyback that's not too front-loaded and more linear , such as Dinan..

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=20768281
I know maybe this is not what you meant but there is no such thing as "piggyback is not traceable". Modern ECUs are way more capable of keeping track of every single boost increase, over rev etc. In other words, if BMW really wants, they can find a footprint of a piggyback too. Even piggyback vendors admit this (Mike from N54tuning mentioned this several times on behalf of JB4 in various threads). Dinan is no different and I don't think it gives you the worth of your money. Bottom line is there is always a risk involved with tuning regardless whether it's flash tune or piggyback.

P.S. When I talk about a CS flash tune, I mean a genuine CS DME flash, not CS-like flash tune. For instance, BPM is capable of flashing the original M4 CS DME software into any S55 DME. So it's like BMW selling you M4 CS power level upgrade without the warranty instead of a tuner trying to come up with a tune that acts like the original M3/M4 CS tune.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy723.00
      05-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #5
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
I read a post, that I happen to somewhat agree with, about M2LCI plus Dinan is almost as good or better than M2 Comp.
I know the starting numbers are different for m3 vs m2comp but Im quite excited about adding @60-70 hp and @100 tq to this small but somewhat heavy car. I will forgo the Roof surgery and spend that 2k+ on power. Also looking to get the upgraded wheels and possibly the carbon hood.
I would only consider Dinan if your dealer installs it and supports you if you have any issues. I had flash tune done and my car got flagged even though I put it back to stock prior to service. So be careful with flash tunes and talk to your SA before installing and make sure your dealer won't flag your car.
      05-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I know maybe this is not what you meant but there is no such thing as "piggyback is not traceable". Modern ECUs are way more capable of keeping track of every single boost increase, over rev etc. In other words, if BMW really wants, they can find a footprint of a piggyback too. Even piggyback vendors admit this (Mike from N54tuning mentioned this several times on behalf of JB4 in various threads). Dinan is no different and I don't think it gives you the worth of your money. Bottom line is there is always a risk involved with tuning regardless whether it's flash tune or piggyback.

Except for the fact that you supposedly dont lose any of your warranty if you use a dealer supported Dinan tune. That in large parts accounts for the additional costs, which to some people, is well worth it so as not to have to wait til car warranty expires to acquire a warranty-proof tune.
      05-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Except for the fact that you supposedly dont lose any of your warranty if you use a dealer supported Dinan tune. That in large parts accounts for the additional costs, which to some people, is well worth it so as not to have to wait til car warranty expires to acquire a warranty-proof tune.
Wrong. Dinan provides you with a third party warranty, it’s not the original BMW warranty.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      05-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Quote:

Your dealer supporting or installing Dinan tune doesn't mean anything anymore since you have to go through your Dinan warranty if you have any tune related problem and your BMW dealer installing Dinan cannot do anything about you getting flagged if you were to take your car to them due to this tune related problem (Especially if a regional BMW rep gets involved). Btw, there are also threads about Dinan giving people hard time when it comes to cover something under their warranty, just FYI. In any case, Dinan offers their own warranty and if you want the peace of mind, go with Dinan. Would I spend $2-3K+ for 20-30whp gain? Absolutely not!
Appreciate 1
Venom374.00
      05-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I owned a Dinan badged E36 M3 so Im not unfamiliar with the process. Back then, and perhaps its changed now, Dinan's deal was that they would cover any parts including service for those parts, be they Dinan or BMW, affected by Dinan's parts for as long as the factory warranty is in effect. So, if BMW refused to warranty an item that was affected by a Dinan installation, Dinan would pick up the coverage.

I had two cases where I required coverage. In the first case, the E36 M3 had weak rear shock tower mounts, and the passenger side one cracked. It was a major structural flaw, and was no doubt exacerbated by the stiff Dinan Koni Suspension which was installed. My BMW dealer was also the Dinan dealer where I bought the setup, and the repair was totally covered, which required welding in of new shock towers.. Car was out of commission for about a week as I recall.

The second coverage situation involved a large break in the weld of the muffler which was part of the Dinan exhaust installation. In that case, the dealer who was my Dinan selling dealer in combination with Dinan decided not to cover it, citing a small increase in boost I had applied via smaller drive pulley.. I always maintained that the exhaust/muffler should have been able to handle the small increase in boost, but they denied it, forcing me to go out of pocket for a new exhaust which I wound up sourcing from AA. That exhaust/muffler had no such problems with not only that boost level, but considerably more which I implemented later.

So, in the end, you sometimes wind up paying a premium for the privilege of getting the warranty which is often times not supported in reality.

Last edited by boostm3; 06-03-2018 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 2
mtoosexy723.00
TProfit81.50
      05-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I plan on modding the M2 Competition with DINAN parts. Just like I did with my current M2.
seis-speed2426.00
      05-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #11
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I would be willing to mod with Dinan. Dealers in my area offer it.

Also interested in others as well.

Last edited by seis-speed; 05-27-2018 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #12
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

One downside to Dinan tune is they only match factory new car warranty, 4yr/50k. If you don't plan on keeping the car long and plan on trading it in later dealers either won't want it or will give you less for the car. Reason is neither Dinan or BMW will cover an extended 2yr CPO warranty. So they cannot sell it as a CPO car which makes it less desirable. If you plan on keeping it long or selling to private party then it really doesn't matter, but just something to keep in mind.
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4154.50
QM287.00
      05-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #13
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Just because it's Dinan doesn't necessarily means that any potential warranty claim will be smooth sailing; cue the finger-pointing..

My nightmare experience getting Dinan Springs installed- FINAL UPDATE 12/01/15 https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1164914

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1396904

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281758

I could find over 30 different scenarios where Dinan blames the dealer and the dealer blames Dinan - all while the customer is left in limbo.. And those are just the ones online that we actually hear about; I could only imagine how many people became "woke" to Dinan's false sense of security, at the worst possible time..
#BuyersBeware
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #14
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Just because it's Dinan doesn't necessarily means that any potential warranty claim will be smooth sailing; cue the finger-pointing..

My nightmare experience getting Dinan Springs installed- FINAL UPDATE 12/01/15 https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1164914

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1396904

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281758

I could find over 30 different scenarios where Dinan blames the dealer and the dealer blames Dinan - all while the customer is left in limbo.. And those are just the ones online that we actually hear about; I could only imagine how many people became "woke" to Dinan's false sense of security, at the worst possible time..
#BuyersBeware
This! I described my experience with Dinan products in post #9 above.
Poochie9099.00
      05-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #15
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Your dealer supporting or installing Dinan tune doesn't mean anything anymore since you have to go through your Dinan warranty if you have any tune related problem and your BMW dealer installing Dinan cannot do anything about you getting flagged if you were to take your car to them due to this tune related problem (Especially if a regional BMW rep gets involved). Btw, there are also threads about Dinan giving people hard time when it comes to cover something under their warranty, just FYI. In any case, Dinan offers their own warranty and if you want the peace of mind, go with Dinan. Would I spend $2-3K+ for 20-30whp gain? Absolutely not!
I'm not interested in 20-30 hp....I'm looking for closer to 75 hp, but way more important is the smooth torque curve that extends 100 points higher
480 hp and +500 tq in a rear wheel drive manual with room for wife and 2baby seats for $69k? Take my money!!! 🎖🎖🎖💰💰💰
      05-27-2018, 08:08 PM   #16
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not interested in 20-30 hp....I'm looking for closer to 75 hp, but way more important is the smooth torque curve that extends 100 points higher
480 hp and +500 tq in a rear wheel drive manual with room for wife and 2baby seats for $69k? Take my money!!!
That's exactly what I'm saying! The gains that Dinan claims always at the crank and do not usually translate into real world gains. With just a flash tune that cost $600-800 you can get close to +100whp/+100lb-ft. The net HP/torque gain at the wheel by a Dinan piggyback will be minimal and not worth several thousands of dollars IMO despite the warranty. But don't believe me, get the Dinan and please share your before & after dyno runs.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #17
Poochie
United_States
Rep

@boostm3

I remember your story you shared a few weeks ago about Dinan and the dealer passing the buck on the exhaust welding; it's part of my overall opinion...
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      05-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #18
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

The M4 CS map developed by the M division is better and safer than anything from Dinan...warranty or not

The S55 is the same on both cars so just flash it with a M4 CS map and call it a day

It beat the 500hp Alfa Romeo Giulia QV in a drag (from 0:55)

Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
mtoosexy723.00
      05-27-2018, 11:11 PM   #19
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
The M4 CS map developed by the M division is better and safer than anything from Dinan...warranty or not
The S55 is the same on both cars so just flash it with a M4 CS map and call it a day
It beat the 500hp Alfa Romeo Giulia QV in a drag (from 0:55)
[VIDEO]
cntzl
That sounds like a decent option. I will look into this. Just keep in mind price IS NOT the deciding factor. I want the safer way to make more power... under warranty is a bonus. Budget allows for anything and everything Dinan offers, but if the M4CS map is better, than i will certainly think about it.
      05-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #20
Poochie
United_States
Rep

If the M4 CS tune is not an official BMW option and added afterwards, third-party, doesn't that break the ECU's tamper protection seal and void the warrant just as any other aftermarket tune would? Seems like the same-difference to me..
Appreciate 2
mtoosexy723.00
Cavpilot2k1022.00
      05-28-2018, 12:24 AM   #21
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Dinan, another piggyback, or a flash tune doesn't matter. Every single one of the these tuning routes leaves a footprint on ECU in some way. If you think piggybacks are undetectable or much safer just because they don't require DME unlock, you might be in for a big surprise when things go down south. There are various number of threads under M3/M4 forum and many people tend to agree Dinan is just a rip off for what it is and you get the most out of a flash tune. Btw I must say I'm not a huge fan of tuning my cars at all mainly because I don't want to risk things. However, I'll happily sign up for a proven formula aka a genuine M4 CS tune. Dinan is a well established company providing safe tuning service solutions too but it's just way too overpriced for what it is IMO. Flash tuning has come along way and vendors are now able to flash without increasing the flash counter, flash it back to stock and lock the DME again without triggering a tamper code etc. All these operations can be done within minutes before a dealer visit. However, again, this doesn't mean what you have done to your car is not detectable. Mod at your own risk and don't assume you are safe with a piggyback compared to a flash tune. P.S. Regardless of which option you go with, all I'm gonna say is just do your research and read about these two solutions guys.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy723.00
      05-28-2018, 12:40 AM   #22
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dinan, another piggyback, or a flash tune doesn't matter. Every single one of the these tuning routes leaves a footprint on ECU in some way. If you think piggybacks are undetectable or much safer just because they don't require DME unlock, you might be in for a big surprise when things go down south. There are various number of threads under M3/M4 forum and many people tend to agree Dinan is just a rip off for what it is and you get the most out of a flash tune. Btw I must say I'm not a huge fan of tuning my cars at all mainly because I don't want to risk things. However, I'll happily sign up for a proven formula aka a genuine M4 CS tune. Dinan is a well established company providing safe tuning service solutions too but it's just way too overpriced for what it is IMO. Flash tuning has come along way and vendors are now able to flash without increasing the flash counter, flash it back to stock and lock the DME again without triggering a tamper code etc. All these operations can be done within minutes before a dealer visit. However, again, this doesn't mean what you have done to your car is not detectable. Mod at your own risk and don't assume you are safe with a piggyback compared to a flash tune. P.S. Regardless of which option you go with, all I'm gonna say is just do your research and read about these two solutions guys.
Good info!! Thank you.
I will certainly research it. We have some time... September deliveries?