E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Electrical Gremlins after battery issue

05-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
a.kimber
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Unhappy Electrical Gremlins after battery issue

Hi All, I have a 2007 bmw e92 335i, I love the car and owned it for the last 2 years with no issues, but it has given me some headaches over the last few weeks!

Quick background; about 2 months ago I got a low battery warning and didn't seem to hold its charge after charging overnight. After being tested as faulty I bought a new battery from halfords, battery still wouldn't hold charge and tested ok, had car checked over but no obvious signs. Long story short - after 4 weeks it turns out it was the battery after all. Replaced with another and this is being it's charge however after reconnecting it I have infested with a full tribe of gremlins!

First of all my ABS Module failed which I replaced and coded. My passenger window stopped working then started working again while my drivers window stopped and hasn't come back on for a few days. My high beams don't work, neither do my indicators. My sat nav won't turn on, radio was working still for a day then it stopped as well. Sunroof doesn't open, heated seats don't work amd finally my remote central locking works whenever it feels like it!

Batteries were coded and registered each time (went from 80ah to 90ah and back to 80ah) im pretty new to coding using inpa and ncsexpert.but found some easy online guides and it all went ok.

NCS Expert appears to able to talk to frm2 so can't see that as an issue and my high beams, indicators and heated seats can be forced to work using INPA. I have checked all fuses - none are blown, couple needed cleaning. I have also checked the wires to battery to see if I forgot to reconnect something, but everything appears to be attached.

Any help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Sounds quite a bit like a faulty alternator.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:41 AM   #3
a.kimber
Registered
Rep

I never thought about the alternator, I will check it tonight.
Although I have no issues starting the engine - Not even a stutter.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
Sounds quite a bit like a faulty alternator.
Check your alternator & reset your FRM module. Consider replacing the FRM module; if so get an FRM3
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 04:42 AM   #5
a.kimber
Registered
Rep

Tested alternator and the battery, it's running at 12.5V with engine off and 13.9V with engine running at 2000rpm. From what I can find it seems that's all good.

Will try reseting FRM tonight. Thanks for all the help people 😁

My dealership only stocks the frm3 now so will have to upgrade. Pretty pricey though at just over £400, but she's worth it 😁😁😁
Appreciate 0