E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Cold start issues (w/ Logs)

05-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
VXEric
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335xi 6MT

Cold start issues (w/ Logs)

Hey all, looking for some help/advice on where to go next with my cold start issue. Over the winter, i was getting a really rough idle on startup at cold temps, occasionally would stall, but not often. Made it tough to get out of 1-2 gear unless I let the car idle for 3-5 minutes before taking off. The colder the outside temp, the worse it got.

Last week I blew up my charge pipe, so replaced that with a Cobb charge pipe and broke the number one rule of modding: one at a time!

I replaced the charge pipe (Cobb), Spark plugs (Bosch), Coils (Delphi) and updated the firmware on my JB4. While i was in there I also sprayed down the sensor in the charge pipe and the sensor just after the intake filter with MAF cleaner.

After all of that, the cold start issue got worse even though temps are in the 50s-60s. Yesterday less than 1/2 mile from my house I got some pretty violent bucks during acceleration through 2-3rd gears, that went away after a minute or so. Then under moderate acceleration in 3rd or 4th gear I was getting uneven acceleration. With steady throttle the car would accelerate then I'd hear the turbo and it would suddenly accelerate faster, hear the turbo, faster still.

Looking at the logs the "Trims" seem to spike when the bucking happened, but TBH I have no clue what that means. New to tuning.

TL;DR - Car runs crap when on first start. Bucks under acceleration until it warm up.

'11 E90 335i X-Drive
JB4 - Most recent firmware (ISO 5_16) - MAP 5
Cobb Charge Pipe
Unknown Downpipe (pretty sure its catted, PO installed)
Dinan full exhaust
Run 93 octane only (Shell)

Thanks for looking and any advice!

Logs:
5 Min after startup - Moderate acceleration
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tc5...ew?usp=sharing

20 Min after start up - more aggressive acceleration
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gwY...ew?usp=sharing

1 Minute after startup - Light acceleration
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N4M...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Images

Last edited by VXEric; 05-19-2018 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Update title
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
VXEric
Private
Rep

Update: Got a CEL driving today. Used JB4 to check it and got a bunch of codes that dont show up in any google or forum searches. Frustrated...

2EF3 (Possibly cyl 5 misfire in first 1000 revs)
8A43
8B42
D152
C902
F7C2

the last 5 dont turn up any search results anywhere. Could it be the JB4 firmware update gone bad and is turning up a bunch of gibberish?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
VXEric
Private
Rep

turns out the PO had never updated the JB4 firmware to ISO, so the diode had not been cut on the older board. once that was done, significant improvement in the way it runs. idle still not perfect but much better. cleaning the Vanos solonoids and swapping their positions helped to smooth it out as well.
Appreciate 0