E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange problem with the steering

05-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
Onu
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92, 325i, -07

Strange problem with the steering

Hello guys,
I have a pretty strange problem with the steering, wondering if anyone recognises what could be wrong

- There is sort of a dead spot, when turning the steering wheel at speeds above 40mph about 5-10 degrees to any direction, the steering "jams". When turning more, it releases the wheels to the right angle

- However, if i keep the steering wheel at same position (around 5-10 degrees to any direction), the wheels may wobble between releasing and locking "the jam" (on/off)

-If this wasn't weird enough, while "the jam" occurs, you can hear a clear electrical whining noise from audio speakers. This gets louder when turning more volume. It sounds like small bells ringing.

Ive checked most of the outer steering system parts, like tie rods, control arm bushings, etc. but with nothing to complain about.
This model has hydraulic power steering. the car is E92, 325i -06/07, roughly 60 000miles

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #2
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

there is a torque converter on the hydro steering rack you got,i will start by replacing it as there was few problems with first batch of these.
Appreciate 0