E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need Advice 2011 335is

05-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
mobhatti1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335IS

Need Advice 2011 335is

I recently bought a 2011 bmw 335is with 53k miles and the first day it gave me a engine malfunction reduced power message and I got it scanned and it was giving a 30FF code. After a week on my drive home the car started shaking hard so I pulled over and it was running really rough. I had to get the car towed to the dealership and they said that 3 of my injectors were leaking so they would replace them. Also, when I would try to use launch control the rpms would raise to 5000 and then when I let off the brake the car wouldn't take off instead rpms would drop to 1000 and then it would start to move. I'm sure I was doing it right but it just does not launch. (DCT Off-Sport On-Flag Shows-Let Off Brake-Keep Flooring). So after they completed replacing 3 injectors it ran rough and cylinder 1 still misfired for which they just replaced an injector. They believe that carbon build up could be causing the rough running issue so they are going to be walnut blasting the car next. I asked about the spark plugs and coils but apparently their technician says that those are both fine and that it is more likely carbon build up. As for the boost issue they are not seeing anything and that there are no other codes besides cylinder 1 misfiring so now I am wondering is there some way that injectors and carbon build up could have caused the 30FF or is there something they are doing right?? Thank you !!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

30FF is an underboost code. Either you have a boost leak, bad boost solenoid, leaking vacuum line or wastegate actuator. For some reason the car isn't reaching boost target.
The rough idle is likely something different. Carbon build up is possible, but I've seen some bad build up on cars with twice the mileage that didn't effect idle. I would start with the Walnut blast, then have a good look at injectors, plugs, coils. Be sure the injectors have new tip seals and decoupler rings, both are essential. Also have them reset adaptations, leaking injectors can teach the car some bad manners.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I take it you're at the dealer with this..? Sounds like you've already had the wool pulled over

If you're willing to do the work yourself we'd be of much better help, now all you're gonna get is a thread full of opinions of 'what I'd do in that shitty situation is.. xxxx' rather than just fixing it right yourself
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
mobhatti1
Rep

Yeah the only reason it’s at the dealership is because the spot I bought it from is fixing it under 30 guarantee but I will prolly be fixing the 30FF on my own if they still somehow don’t find the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

i would take a look at the charge pipe...the plastic is known to crack even on stock boost levels.

as for the misfires...i would replace the spark plugs and coils, there relatively cheap and a easy diy. you want to replace your plug at least every 30-40k depending on how much boost your running.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:33 AM   #6
mobhatti1
Rep

Yeah, if its the charge pipe i will probably just upgrade to vrsf with bov anyway because I plan to run jb4 and dci soon enough. But Is there a way I can check if its specifically the charge pipe (symptoms)???
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobhatti1 View Post
Yeah, if its the charge pipe i will probably just upgrade to vrsf with bov anyway because I plan to run jb4 and dci soon enough. But Is there a way I can check if its specifically the charge pipe (symptoms)???
Bro you gotta spend more time on Google, like dedicate some real time to researching your car. Most google searches will take you back to previous threads on this forum (try not to bump old threads pls).

Symptoms of a cracked charge pipe are that it is cracked, visual inspection is a way to check this.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

you can inspect the charge pipe while doing your spark plugs. but yes you will have to visually inspect the charge pipe and i would visually inspect for any cracked or brittle vacuum lines as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #9
mobhatti1
Rep

Thank you guys, I'm getting my car this Thursday and will check for boost related issues myself but the service center is saying the car is not under boosting and that the turbos are good too. They say no codes are coming at all anymore but we will see and hopefully no issues arise.
Appreciate 0