E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering issue '06 330i

05-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
Raikko31
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6AT

Steering issue '06 330i

Hello everyone,

First post here so don't be too hard please.

Context:

I have recently bought a 2006 330i 6AT [one owner, 52k miles] for £6500. I did know when test driving it that the car needed a couple of changes (get rid of the michelin runflat, low thread and old, and a wheel alignement.
But other than tramligning (thanks uk B roads) and a hard ride nothing felt wrong.

About a month ago, I've decided to do a wheel alignement (camber + toe) and to replace the former Michelin ZP by 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

These tyres are very good. On B roads, the grip is there and the car feels good (minus the body roll). But now, I've got a weird feeling (or should I say no feeling at all) from 70 mph and above for small steering input.

Let me explain:
if I'm sitting at 80 mph and start to steer left to right, like a small "ZigZag" with minimum steering input, then for the first 10° of steering angle there is no feeling (but the car is turning). And the phenomenon is amplified when going faster at a point where hitting a road bump around 90-100 mph makes the steering wobble but without any feeling. That is kind of scary as I feel the wheels could do a quick "left - right" on a bump without feeling it on the steering.The weird thing is when I'm pushing the car around twisted roads (below 70 mph), you can tell that you're driving a 1550 kg car, but the steering feels fine.

I've brought the car to my mechanic to do a check up (play in the steering arm / front of the car, bushings, suspension...). For him everything looks fine. But again, the OEM bushings on the M-sport are a mix between solid rubber and fluid if I'm right, so it might be a normal behaviour...
The car feels a bit scary around 90 mph, which isn't normal.

My next thought is: Could there be something wrong in the steering rack ? Steering fluid ? Levels looks alright but maybe the system needs a flush.

I'm planning to upgrade the front control arms with the M3 ones but before I'd like to know where the problem is. I can't really think about anything else than bushings or steering rack as it is the only elements in the steering chain.

So if anyone has already encountered or heard about this problem, feel free to tell me because I'm stalling.

PS: Sorry for the writing, english is not my first language
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

The M3 control arms (with their more solid bushings) are on point. It will be a bit more "twitchy" at freeway speeds, but not anything crazy. They really lighten up the steering, making the car more responsive. I did this (Sport suspension, same as yours) and even though my stock bushings looked fine, the difference was immediately noticeable.

I'd say just go ahead and do the M3 control arms and see if that solves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
Nexus313
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i 6MT

Have you checked your front wheel bearings?

Lift the car up, then put your thumb and index finger around the spring.

Start spin turn the wheel manually by hand.

If there's a vibration felt in the spring. It's your front wheel bearings!
Appreciate 1
Thorin117.50
      05-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Do early UK E90s have electric steering assist?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Do you have Active Steering?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Raikko31
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
The M3 control arms (with their more solid bushings) are on point. It will be a bit more "twitchy" at freeway speeds, but not anything crazy. They really lighten up the steering, making the car more responsive. I did this (Sport suspension, same as yours) and even though my stock bushings looked fine, the difference was immediately noticeable.

I'd say just go ahead and do the M3 control arms and see if that solves the issue.
I'm working in a racing team so I'm used to direct feedback from the steering. I don't mind if the car react even with the smallest steering input but at least I want a feedback haha. So before changing the front control arm, I'd like to find the problem.
I might find a E90 for sale and try it, just to see if it's something normal and in that case I'm the problem and should buy a sports car instead of a family one

Hoody: Nope, mine doesn't have active steering but everything definitely feels lighter with the increase in speed.

And Nexus, I didn't check my front bearings. But if there were the problem, shoudn't I hear something or feel something even at low speed ?

Thanks for the answers guys
Appreciate 0