E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Forged pistons for n55 ?

05-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive LCI sedan

Forged pistons for n55 ?

Im rebuilding my engine since i spun a bearing

Thoughts on JE forged pistons for cold climate ? Should i keep them oem but coat them to avoid slapping ?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
forge pistons comes with 2 types of alloy. 2618 with expands during heat and 4032 with does not expand as much as much with heat. but its not as strong. this info is important because 4032 forge piston could possible be as strong as the oem piston.

i run 2618 alloy forge piston in my 600whp 1.6 race car. knowing that i will be rebuilding this engine every season.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
forge pistons comes with 2 types of alloy. 2618 with expands during heat and 4032 with does not expand as much as much with heat. but its not as strong. this info is important because 4032 forge piston could possible be as strong as the oem piston.

i run 2618 alloy forge piston in my 600whp 1.6 race car. knowing that i will be rebuilding this engine every season.
Oh ok.let me find out with my builder and ill report back !
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours View Post
Oh ok.let me find out with my builder and ill report back !
its best to do your own research. from my experience most engine builders just take your $$. after all there is no warranty for this stuff. good luck. IMO if your not building a race car stick to OEM.

the piston slap you mentioned is from loose PTW when engine warms up it goes away when warm.. if you dont get the PTW right it will expand right into the cylinder walls during high boost. this is not good for a daily driven vehicle. but perfect for a race car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
its best to do your own research. from my experience most engine builders just take your $$. after all there is no warranty for this stuff. good luck. IMO if your not building a race car stick to OEM.

the piston slap you mentioned is from loose PTW when engine warms up it goes away when warm.. if you dont get the PTW right it will expand right into the cylinder walls during high boost. this is not good for a daily driven vehicle. but perfect for a race car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston
Thank you for great info. I am aiming for 550 whp so i guess ill stick with oem pistons and coat them for better heat distribution and thermal effiency...

I just hope the rings will hold....

Ill do forged rods tho
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for great info. I am aiming for 550 whp so i guess ill stick with oem pistons and coat them for better heat distribution and thermal effiency...

Ill do forged rods tho

you should be good with oem stuff. yes forge rods is a good idea. your engine build longevity will come down to tuning. the piston rings is atleast of your concern if its gapped right. it sounds like you will be running 93 pump octane. detonation and fuel quality will be your biggest concern. if you do run 93 you will face numerous hurdles that i cant begin to warn you about. good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ill do forged rods tho

you should be good with oem stuff. yes forge rods is a good idea. your engine build longitivty will come down to tuning. it sounds like you will be running 93 pump octane. if so you will face numerous hurdles that i cant begin to warn you about. good luck.
i am on pure stage 2 + meth + 94 octane

i heard meth could have causs my spun bearing since it might have diluted my oil
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

i heard meth could have causs my spun bearing since it might have diluted my oil

i can get into detail of why that happened but its best for your to learn yourself and hopefully pass it down to others. because its your engine.

if any of you guys want to test your knowledge of what you know please read this book

https://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost.../dp/0837601606

if your not the type of reading and more to listening i will not take you seriously.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #9
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

i can get into detail of why that happened but its best for your to learn yourself and hopefully pass it down to others. because its your engine.

if any of you guys want to test your knowledge of what you know please read this book

https://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost.../dp/0837601606

if your not the type of reading and more to listening i will not take you seriously.
well can you let me know what happened if you don't mind ?

my guess is that meth/alcool went by piston rings enough ( i sprayed A LOT ) that it diltued my oil and caused the spun bearing....

i like to read thats why i navigate between this forum and the bms one a lot

thank you for your help
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
well can you let me know what happened if you don't mind ?

my guess is that meth/alcool went by piston rings enough ( i sprayed A LOT ) that it diltued my oil and caused the spun bearing....

i like to read thats why i navigate between this forum and the bms one a lot

thank you for your help
i dont know exactly because i didnt tune or build your car. the last part of my post wasnt directed towards you, it was directed towards the 335i owners that think they know it all but pay people to find out what was wrong with there cars and come on the forums to chant. i read about that alot. SOMETIMES i find out that they are wrong and its hard to tell them that because of all the $$ they spent because of 1 over looked issue.

these are the same type of people that buy fast cars and think there racers because of what they read on the forum or what there told.

real racers are people the build them and solve the issues. this takes R&D. this takes alot of $$$.

your in a different position.

i want to learn

i honestly think if you had an oil pressure gauge you wouldnt have spun a bearing. If you knew what the acceptable oil presure was at idle and at 3k rpm and realized it was below spec you would have shut the car down and found out what was causing low oil pressure.

this would require you to take the whole engine out and tear it apart.

most people are not willing to do that. unless it was easy. no shop is willing to do this. unless they really wanted to help.

you are the shop

you are the warranty

if not build it back to oem is all that im saying. keep your expectations reasonable towards your own ability
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #11
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i dont know exactly because i didnt tune or build your car. the last part of my post wasnt directed towards you, it was directed towards the 335i owners that think they know it all but pay people to find out what was wrong with there cars and come on the forums to chant. i read about that alot. SOMETIMES i find out that they are wrong and its hard to tell them that because of all the $$ they spent because of 1 over looked issue.

these are the same type of people that buy fast cars and think there racers because of what they read on the forum or what there told.

real racers are people the build them and solve the issues. this takes R&D. this takes alot of $$$.

your in a different position.

i want to learn

i honestly think if you had an oil pressure gauge you wouldnt have spun a bearing. If you knew what the acceptable oil presure was at idle and at 3k rpm and realized it was below spec you would have shut the car down and found out what was causing low oil pressure.

this would require you to take the whole engine out and tear it apart.

most people are not willing to do that. unless it was easy. no shop is willing to do this. unless they really wanted to help.

you are the shop

you are the warranty

if not build it back to oem is all that im saying. keep your expectations reasonable towards your own ability
Well im willing to learn and i do research about my car almost everyday but i dont have mechanic abilities....

I can analyze logs and look for hints via apps and forums but for the rest id have to ask for help unfortunatly...

And taking it back to oem isnt financially a good move

The lowest mileage n55 available in a 2k miles radius is 60k mile and 4200$ cdn + 6 month warranty

My rebuild is 7000$ cdn approx but the engine will be less prone to failure for my specific setup.. + 2 years unlimited miles warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #12
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Well im willing to learn and i do research about my car almost everyday but i dont have mechanic abilities....

I can analyze logs and look for hints via apps and forums but for the rest id have to ask for help unfortunatly...

And taking it back to oem isnt financially a good move

The lowest mileage n55 available in a 2k miles radius is 60k mile and 4200$ cdn + 6 month warranty

My rebuild is 7000$ cdn approx but the engine will be less prone to failure for my specific setup.. + 2 years unlimited miles warranty
You know what i think might have happaned if you say you sprayed ALOT OF METH/WATER.. You could have hydrolocked ur engine and bent a rod..(You cannot compress liquids) The chances of that happening are FAAR higher than meth getting passed the piston walls and diluting ..MEth is alcohol it doesn't stick around long..

When you say ALOT of METH what is ALOT. what system were you using ?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #13
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
You know what i think might have happaned if you say you sprayed ALOT OF METH/WATER.. You could have hydrolocked ur engine and bent a rod..(You cannot compress liquids) The chances of that happening are FAAR higher than meth getting passed the piston walls and diluting ..MEth is alcohol it doesn't stick around long..

When you say ALOT of METH what is ALOT. what system were you using ?
Bms meth kit single nozzle cm 10

Spraying from 6 psi to 19 psi

I do a lot of 1-2-3-4 gears pull so i spray for a long time and often IMO

Engine is on a pallet it will be shipped friday ! Well know soon enough !
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #14
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
How common is the to spin a bearing in the n55
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #15