BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

Suspension.. trying to fixing the reverse rake... need advice

i really didnt want to do suspension on this car but i hate how the rear sits lower than the front... it should be even or even slightly the opposite way around if anything..

-through researching on the post it seems that u.s. models are raised in the front to meet curb regulations.. (335's sit lower b/c the bumper does not extend as low)

-a 1" or so drop shouldnt do any damage to the suspension with EDC..

questions:
can i replace just the front springs??
-what springs would be good in that case??

are there any other options??
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Mickb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3 DCT

Whatever the reason for the respective heights, I've no doubt BMW engineers spent countless hours matching up spring rates front and rear to get the right handling balance in the car. Changing just the fronts without doing the rears you risk upsetting that completely. If I absolutely couldnt live with the front ride height, I would change the complete set, which I would hope had been properly tested to work in harmony with each other by the manufacturer (eg H&R).

As for the EDC question, I think it only in 6 months of people running aftermarket springs such as the H&R's will we know if its going to cause EDC problems. people will give you loads of theory now but no one can say for sure what will happen in practice.

Cheers

Mick
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
BMW has always had to raise the front bumpers. Even back on the 2002's people dropped them in the aftermarket. It isn't hitting curbs as much as it is for safety reasons. DOT wants all the bumpers to match up in case of a head on collision. It's part of the reason trucks have bumpers that extend downward.

That said, I don't think I will bother changing anything. It's not a track car for me, and it has more performance than I can use on the street. So, I will keep my higher bumper. Good luck.

Appreciate 0