E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Loud Suction at WOT

04-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Loud Suction at WOT

I recently noticed a really loud suction at full acceleration coming from passenger side. There is no performance decrease from what I can tell. Under mild to heavier acceleration no issues. It only happens when i am at nearly 100% throttle. I don't see any oil leaks, my intercooler hoses are all connected. I have no codes. I do have a BMS intake, but this doesn't sound like it is coming from the intake. Has anyone ever ran into anything similar? Could the hot side charge pipe be damaged as it is plastic? If that was the case, there would probably be a code. Could it be a hose or bad boost solenoid? Any advice would help. Thanks!

I will try and get a video to post!
      04-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
I recently noticed a really loud suction at full acceleration coming from passenger side. There is no performance decrease from what I can tell. Under mild to heavier acceleration no issues. It only happens when i am at nearly 100% throttle. I don't see any oil leaks, my intercooler hoses are all connected. I have no codes. I do have a BMS intake, but this doesn't sound like it is coming from the intake. Has anyone ever ran into anything similar? Could the hot side charge pipe be damaged as it is plastic? If that was the case, there would probably be a code. Could it be a hose or bad boost solenoid? Any advice would help. Thanks!

I will try and get a video to post!
Sounds like a boost leak to me. Check all of your plumbing, especially around the clamps and connections. Sometimes they leak in a way that doesn't affect performance *that* much, but its leaking just right to make an annoying sound.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Sounds like a boost leak to me. Check all of your plumbing, especially around the clamps and connections. Sometimes they leak in a way that doesn't affect performance *that* much, but its leaking just right to make an annoying sound.
I was going to do a more thorough inspection once the weather gets warmer here and I get some time on the weekend. There are only so many things on the passenger side it could be coming from, so I should be able to find something.
      04-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
I was going to do a more thorough inspection once the weather gets warmer here and I get some time on the weekend. There are only so many things on the passenger side it could be coming from, so I should be able to find something.
Most leaks that aren't a full disconnect are pretty hard to see, even if you have the car on a lift. I suggest doing a smoke test if you have the opportunity, it saves a ton of guess work.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is a sound clip:

Possibilities: Loose clamps, Boost solenoid, hot side charge pipe, tear in silicone intercooler hoses, turbo waste gate. Any other ideas?

Last edited by NRigs; 04-30-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
E90joee147.00
      04-30-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep

Solved!

It was something I didn't expect. Since I had a nice day after work today I decided to look around and noticed an intercooler hose t-clamp was off. When I first installed my intercooler, the hose clamps would come off and I would have almost no power. That is why I didn't expect it to be the clamp. We are back in business!