Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Looking to buy an M5

Hi all

Looking to buy an M5 now (M6 and M4 prices still relatively high) so wondering if you guys would have any advice?

Any engine issues or recalls I need to be aware of?

What sort of discounts I should going for from dealers?

Was going to part exchange my 335i.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
Maximo1970
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

The F10 is quite a solid car, service them when needed and they'll look after you. Find one with a deal history to be double sure. When new a 5year/60,000 miles service pack was £1000, so a no brainner really. Beyond that I'm sure you'll find a few that have moved away from the main dealers and started using independent's. Nothing wrong with independent's as long as they know what they are doing off course.

So the first bit of advise is find a car that still has an active service pack, that way you'll be able to find the service history. Beyond 2013, I think, the service history is stored on the iDrive. So don't go running away from a car if you don't find a service book with dealer stamps.

Try this link for information on recall's & MOT history.

From the various forums that have been a spat of Drive Train Malfunctions, this can mean many things but mostly it's due to a coil pack failing. It can also mean an injector has given up also. The usual way to generate this is by putting load on the engine, so in 3rd gear just floor it. No bong or alert on the iDrive and your fine. Even if the ECU error code is reset it doesn't have a counter, so the next time you floor the car it will show itself straight away.
A coil pack and plug replacement is about £350 at a dealer and about double if the injector is also replaced. Got a BMW warranty, not after market, then your covered.

As the new F90 M5 has started to hit the show rooms you not likely to get a great discount from a main dealer unless they have a good number of F10 M5's in stock. But don't accept that as you shouldn't ask for a discount, make them an offer and see what you get back.

The options list was quite extensive so you should be able to find the right car for you. Generally speaking car's on the standard 19" wheels don't have many options if any. So look for those with the 20" wheels. But it's your preference.

Take a troll through the forum for more information.

I hope that helps.

Garry
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

hi mate, mine is going to be up for sale again after july if you are interested at all and I'm london based...

Fully loaded and immaculate car in monte carlo blue
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Thanks chaps!
Appreciate 0