E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Remus sport (085107 098) non quad

04-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep
Drives: 335is DCT

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
2009 E92 328i xdrive  [0.00]
Remus sport (085107 098) non quad

Recently in an accident since she was a distracted driver and now I have the opportunity to upgrade. I was bouncing back and forth with the BMW PE, but now I'm reading that they were discontinued last week. I spent the weekend researching other options and the Remus sport has my attention now and the price point is attractive as well. I'm looking for a nicer tone, but not loud and I definitely do not want any drone in the cabin. A few more hp/tq would be nice, but I was aware of my limitations with the N51 when I bought it. I've spent a lot of time on the webs in the past days watching and listening to exhaust videos. From what I found I think the Remus sport might be the one for me. I've searched the forums as well, but most related results are a somewhat dated and quickly go off topic. My questions for anyone who could assist are,

If you have a 3281, would you recommend? If no, why?

If you do, where did you purchase it and roughly how much?

Is there anything else comparable that I should consider that I may have missed? I've looked at Borla, Magnaflow, Megans (sp?), Rogue, Eisenmann, PE of course. Again, please remember I'm looking for something a little nicer than stock without going race car as well as $$$$. When my last one finishes college, I'll be getting another M3 and then I'll get to play again.

Thanks in advance, Wingnutts

Last edited by Wingnutts; 04-23-2018 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
Iskan
Registered
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 325i 2007

Hi there!

Sorry in advance for my English.

I have it! Sounds great, especially when it heats up a bit.
Installed on an E92 N52B25 auto ZF. Definitely not loud, sporty, under the radar and no drone. If the car is “quicker” that would be (mostly) because the Remus unit is, by far, lighter than stock. Yes, it has better flow than stock too, but it is the less-weight gain that actually “helped” my car.

My other option was Supersprint, which also sounds great!!!

So, until you get the M3, Remus or SS could keep you decent company.
Appreciate 3
Phyrexia502.50
Wingnutts132.50
Noir883.00
      04-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
This is a positive response i was hoping for, thank you!

Your English is fine. If English is a second or third language, you're doing better than many Americans these days.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      04-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

I have it on my N51. Just a muffler swap. No cat or resonator delete. Here is my thought:
-Not loud but definitely better sounding and louder than stock. Cold start is awesome and loud but after warm up, it’s quite growl.
-During many spirited driving you can faintly hear the growl and sounds good (combine this with charcoal delta, K&N and silicone hose it sounds better). But not loud and no drones. I can also notice/feel its better flowing.

PE will delete the resonator and is designed for better sound in my opinion. I got the Remus because I found an almost flawless, little used from an enthusiast for $550 shipped to me. I am an older guy so I am more sensible with money considering its N51. This include the upgrade tips with carbon accent. Also because it was direct replacement (came with clamp). I was able to install myself. PE used would have costed me around $700 used, $50 for clamps and another $150-200 to install in my area.

Here is how I would sum up the Remus. Its definitely a performance exhaust (free flow, light, etc) with performance sound but not as loud as others. Its definitely well made and it’s high quality by reputable mfg. Its what I would call an exhaust for “I’m not a kid” “I’m a grown up” type of exhaust. If I had the choice between the two versus PE. I would have chosen PE but have no regrets.

Last edited by bkwld; 04-24-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
I have it on my N51. Just a muffler swap. No cat or resonator delete. Here is my thought:
-Not loud but definitely better sounding and louder than stock. Cold start is awesome and loud but after warm up, it’s quite growl.
-During many spirited driving you can faintly hear the growl and sounds good (combine this with charcoal delta, K&N and silicone hose it sounds better). But not loud and no drones. I can also notice/feel its better flowing.

PE will delete the resonator and is designed for better sound in my opinion. I got the Remus because I found an almost flawless, little used from an enthusiast for $550 shipped to me. I am an older guy so I am more sensible with money considering its N51. This include the upgrade tips with carbon accent. Also because it was direct replacement (came with clamp). I was able to install myself. PE used would have costed me around $700 used, $50 for clamps and another $150-200 to install in my area.

Here is how I would sum up the Remus. Its definitely a performance exhaust (free flow, light, etc) with performance sound but not as loud as others. Its definitely well made and it’s high quality by reputable mfg. Its what I would call an exhaust for “I’m not a kid” “I’m a grown up” type of exhaust. If I had the choice between the two versus PE. I would have chosen PE but have no regrets.
Thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:39 AM   #6
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Are you just lookin to replace the muffler or all the way to the cats? I have the full Eisenmann, but I believe just the muffler would satisfy you.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Are you just lookin to replace the muffler or all the way to the cats? I have the full Eisenmann, but I believe just the muffler would satisfy you.
I am just looking to do the muffler. I drive a lot for work and frequently have clients in my car so this is why I'm trying to be careful with what I put on. If I never would have been rear ended and having the need to replace the damaged exhaust, the stock one would have stayed on.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
You can also find just the PE muffler for sale sometimes as it was offered by BMW in that configuration as well. I'm not sure how much quieter it would be without the resonator though. Either way, the PE really isn't too loud. With the windows up and conversation going, you'd never notice it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #9
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

With the windows up, the PE passes both the Girlfriend test and the Mother-of-Girlfriend test. Any client you have in the car who has an ear for such things and can actually notice it, won't mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
With the windows up, the PE passes both the Girlfriend test and the Mother-of-Girlfriend test. Any client you have in the car who has an ear for such things and can actually notice it, won't mind.
That is so funny to me because as my E90 is being catless my wife is like "whoa" when I mash the pedal, after all my suspension mods though, she says the car is very quiet despite having solid rear subframe bushings!
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      04-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #11
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
I am just looking to do the muffler. I drive a lot for work and frequently have clients in my car so this is why I'm trying to be careful with what I put on. If I never would have been rear ended and having the need to replace the damaged exhaust, the stock one would have stayed on.
I think you'll be fine. Eisenmann offers a sport and race tone option for the mufflers. Price might be closer to 1K, I got my whole system from Vivid Racing during a Memorial Day sale for 1900.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
IND sells the Eisenmann system for an incredible price, if you ask me. Can't beat <~$1300 for a header back system that deletes your secondary cats for ya. If I was to do my exhaust setup over again, this is exactly the route I'd go. That said, I would venture to guess that the system is at least mildly aggressive considering that it deletes the secondary cats. I don't think it would be LOUD, but there should be some mild "pops and burbles" introduced, which one might notice. Personally, I love them.

Note: According to IND, the rear bumper has to be modified to fit the Eisenmann system. Not sure what's up with that... perhaps someone who has the exhaust can chime in there. I've heard nothing of that here on the forum.

https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=B5334.00702
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:08 PM   #13
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
IND sells the Eisenmann system for an incredible price, if you ask me. Can't beat <~$1300 for a header back system that deletes your secondary cats for ya. If I was to do my exhaust setup over again, this is exactly the route I'd go. That said, I would venture to guess that the system is at least mildly aggressive considering that it deletes the secondary cats. I don't think it would be LOUD, but there should be some mild "pops and burbles" introduced, which one might notice. Personally, I love them.

Note: According to IND, the rear bumper has to be modified to fit the Eisenmann system. Not sure what's up with that... perhaps someone who has the exhaust can chime in there. I've heard nothing of that here on the forum.

I have the 76mm tips and there are no issues, I just wish the Eisenmann engraving was more visible on the tips. After the headers were installed there is a bit of rattle when the car is stationary as it warms up sometimes. I'm sure it can be remedied by installing the mid brace that are still on my secondaries sitting in the garage, I just don't feel like doing it lol

P.S. I have a Duke Dynamic Diffuser as well so it might be slightly larger than the cutout on the non-M sport bumper or OE diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #14
E91Swagger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36S52; E91N52

Quote:

I think $1,200 is for the muffler only and add $1,000 for the midpipe
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #15
gym_rat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 328XI

I have the Remus Powersound exhaust combined with an AFE intake. Honestly, it's very mellow and adds a sporty sound (inside the cabin) without being overbearing or annoying. During regular driving, you wont even notice a difference. When the muffler breaks in, you get a nice deep growl, and a sound that more closely resembles it on cold start up. Sounds like it's exactly what you are after.
Appreciate 1
Wingnutts132.50
      04-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #16
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91Swagger View Post
I think $1,200 is for the muffler only and add $1,000 for the midpipe
What makes you say that? There is no option to add FRONT pipes on their website and the pictures clearly show front pipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gym_rat View Post
I have the Remus Powersound exhaust combined with an AFE intake. Honestly, it's very mellow and adds a sporty sound (inside the cabin) without being overbearing or annoying. During regular driving, you wont even notice a difference. When the muffler breaks in, you get a nice deep growl, and a sound that more closely resembles it on cold start up. Sounds like it's exactly what you are after.
Thank you for the response. The more I read on the webs, the Remus powersound seems to be the one for my particular needs/wants. Price isn't too shabby either.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #18
E91Swagger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36S52; E91N52

Quote:
What makes you say that? There is no option to add FRONT pipes on their website and the pictures clearly show front pipes.
https://www.vividracing.com/eisenman...1-p-49793.html
Appreciate 0