BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Notchy shifts after break in service

04-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
M2_AL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI MG

Notchy shifts after break in service

So I picked up my m2 today after getting it's break in service. Right away I noticed getting into 1st gear was a lot harder (notchier) than it was before I dropped it off. I continued the day and noticed it was also a bit notchy getting into 2nd and 3rd as well. 2nd and 3rd gear aren't terrible but I can really notice a difference with 1st. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if this is normal? One of the main reasons I fell in love with the M2 was its buttery shifts. Hoping that will come back but who knows.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_AL View Post
So I picked up my m2 today after getting it's break in service. Right away I noticed getting into 1st gear was a lot harder (notchier) than it was before I dropped it off. I continued the day and noticed it was also a bit notchy getting into 2nd and 3rd as well. 2nd and 3rd gear aren't terrible but I can really notice a difference with 1st. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if this is normal? One of the main reasons I fell in love with the M2 was its buttery shifts. Hoping that will come back but who knows.
I just got my break in service done today, and as far a I can tell my car is fine, but the technician left a loose wrench in my car that I noticed bouncing around my car when I was doing some WOT runs on the way home. Maybe they left something in your transmission like a nice Snap-On wrench.

I would in all seriousness bring it back in. Not sure what in the break-in service could cause what your experiencing, but maybe it will expose something serious they forgot to do, like not refilling the differential with oil.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #3
M2_AL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan King View Post
Quote:
I just got my break in service done today, and as far a I can tell my car is fine, but the technician left a loose wrench in my car that I noticed bouncing around my car when I was doing some WOT runs on the way home. Maybe they left something in your transmission like a nice Snap-On wrench.

I would in all seriousness bring it back in. Not sure what in the break-in service could cause what your experiencing, but maybe it will expose something serious they forgot to do, like not refilling the differential with oil.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm probably going to bring it back to them once I get the car back from detailers domain.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Sounds like the tech had a fun time with your car
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Mine has been a little notchy from pick up, after initial service and still is today. On following this forum for about a year after the initial release of the M2 , then receiving my car. Sounds like the little notchiness is a normal thing and I'm not concerned or bothered by it at all.

Not sure why yours didn't do it prior to service, but I noticed it on mine. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad on mine, just something that is there. My prior car had a better shifter than the M2 but was a little notchy like the M2. Drove that car for 5 years with no trans issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
M2_AL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies, it seems to be going back to its buttery nature. I guess I need to drive it for a little.
Appreciate 0