BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition. Progress...but in the wrong direction?

04-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

M2 Competition. Progress...but in the wrong direction?

The other m2 comp threads have a lot of good insight but there's just too much of the flame wars with people accusing current m2 owners of being butt hurt and others accusing the non m2 owners of being zealots. Also, they seem to be discussing individual components and upgrades a lot and I'm trying to get a feel for the car as a whole.

I'm in a situation where I'm deciding between getting a 2018 for a discount between $3.5k and $5k or getting a July build for the competition at msrp. I'm sure there are a lot of others like me trying to decide.

My motivation to get into an m2 was because I test drove a 135is and loved the feel (I was in a stripper 328 at the time). Then the 1m was announced and it was my dream car. Unfortunately, I missed it and I was deeply regretting it until the current m2 was revealed. All of the promotional content for the m2 at the time had it being displayed with the 1m. To me, bmw was saying that the concept of the m2 was the same as the 1m but with some tweaks to make it a little better. I don't think that the m2 is the same as the 1m but the m2 stock comes close enough to what made me fall in love with the 1.

Reading through all the info regarding the competition, I can't help feeling that the m2 comp is going the way of the m3/m4. Perhaps then, the new m2 comp is most appealing to those looking for a baby m4 and the 2018 is more appealing to those who love the 1m for what it is? I'm really interested in driving feel. I'm interested in the New carbon-fiber friction lining for the manual transmission as well as the new LSD and new steering feel and the suspension bits taken from the m3/m4 zcp. Did they just have to change the steering logic to account for the heavier front end in which case it was more of a necessity than an upgrade to the current m2 steering?

I would greatly appreciate any insight from people who extensively drove the 1m and the m2 and the m4. I know some of you guys can read between the lines of all these specs on paper. There's no doubt that the m2 comp is the upgraded car but if it has become too close to the m4 then i'd rather just get a m4 zcp because those too can be found with a discount.

P.S. I don't care what I can sell the car for later but i do care about what i'll be paying for the car now.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

BMW has been continually improving their EPS with each new iteration of the M4 and M2... I would presume that this version is the best to date..... thus far they have only improved and not taken a step backwards. The same is true for the M differential and the DSC as well.

I do feel that BMW has simply reignited the M4 vs M2 wars by putting the S55 in the M2 Comp.... I am also thoroughly confused by the 2 cars being nearly the same weight if not M2 heavier..

Fortunately.. I do have a 1M.. and thus far I have taken a pass on the M2. The M2 Comp being heavier than the M2 doesn't appeal to me at all. I will wait to get a chance to drive the M2 comp but I am hoping a hardcore model comes next.

I am beginning to wonder if the M2 ZL9/Performance edition (150 made- manual seats ) is the best of them all.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

There's one glaring problem with this, the M2c specs are out, but no full reviews or track testing. IIRC when the M2 was revealed it took several months before we saw anything. Until then we don't have a baseline that we can compare it to against the 1M or M2. So all you will get is speculation and conjecture. It sucks having more questions than answers, but you're not alone.
Appreciate 1
Fangi021.00
      04-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
BMW has been continually improving their EPS with each new iteration of the M4 and M2... I would presume that this version is the best to date..... thus far they have only improved and not taken a step backwards. The same is true for the M differential and the DSC as well.

I do feel that BMW has simply reignited the M4 vs M2 wars by putting the S55 in the M2 Comp.... I am also thoroughly confused by the 2 cars being nearly the same weight if not M2 heavier..

Fortunately.. I do have a 1M.. and thus far I have taken a pass on the M2. The M2 Comp being heavier than the M2 doesn't appeal to me at all. I will wait to get a chance to drive the M2 comp but I am hoping a hardcore model comes next.

I am beginning to wonder if the M2 ZL9/Performance edition (150 made- manual seats ) is the best of them all.
According to M2 Comp technical details sheet and bmw.de (for M4 specs):

M4 6MT: 1635 EU kg vs M2 Comp: 1625 EU kg
M4 DCT: 1660 EU kg vs M2 Comp: 1650 EU kg

Yes, M2 got heavier, which is obviously not good news but it doesn't weigh more than an M4.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
I'm interested in the New carbon-fiber friction lining for the manual transmission
Manual gearbox optimization: that's something I also noticed when reading the M2 Competition press kit:
"The new BMW M2 Competition comes as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which stands out with its compact design and low weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fibre friction lining enhances shift comfort. An engagement speed control function, which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, makes gear changes even smoother. This also lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track. Switching off the DSC deactivates the engagement speed control function. Wet-sump lubrication prevents any sloshing of the transmission oil and ensures all components benefit from an efficient supply of oil."
In an early M2 test review some US journalist mentioned "rubbery feel" about the 6MT shifting. And those words spread like a virus among car journalists: "Great manual gearbox, yeah, but a bit of a rubbery feel though".

OK, if you drive a Cayman GT4 and M2 back-to-back, you'll notice that shifting the GT4 gearbox is superior (not gonna raise the topic of the often criticized long 2nd gear ratio of the GT4). Otherwise, IMHO that "rubbery feel" argument is a bit placebo-effect nitpicking.

But, anyways, it seems that BMW M had a closer look into it.

Technology moves on. With the M2 Competition you got the latest BMW technology on offer.
      04-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
According to M2 Comp technical details sheet and bmw.de (for M4 specs):

M4 6MT: 1635 EU kg vs M2 Comp: 1625 EU kg
M4 DCT: 1660 EU kg vs M2 Comp: 1650 EU kg

Yes, M2 got heavier, which is obviously not good news but it doesn't weigh more than an M4.

I have zero faith in the Euro weights... (PLUS I LIVE IN THE USA WHERE THE CARS ARE FATTER ? ) but thanks.

Apparently the M4 ends up as the winner of the biggest BMW Loser contest..
The M2 still needs to get into the gym and do some more weight training and keep dieting.

US SPEC M4 6MT - 3565 lbs = 1617 kg
US SPEC M4 DCT - 3620 lbs = 1642 kg

US SPEC M2 6MT - 3450 lbs = 1564kg
US SPEC M2 DCT - 3505 lbs = 1590 kg

US SPEC M2C MT - ?? 3569 ?? = 1619 kg
US SPEC M2C DCT - ?? 3626 ?? = 1645 kg

For the US SPEC M2 I simply added the 55KG to the KG weights and did the math.. The responses are in ?? because they are unofficial.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-18-2018 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If I could get the performance edition brand new now, it would make my decision that much harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
There's one glaring problem with this, the M2c specs are out, but no full reviews or track testing. IIRC when the M2 was revealed it took several months before we saw anything. Until then we don't have a baseline that we can compare it to against the 1M or M2. So all you will get is speculation and conjecture. It sucks having more questions than answers, but you're not alone.
I totally agree but after reading so many threads on this forum, I've come to realize that there are people who just want something to be true and others who speculate but seem to have really done their homework. I take some peoples posts with a grain of salt but others' i keep in mind more than the reviews i find on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have zero faith in the Euro weights... (PLUS I LIVE IN THE USA WHERE THE CARS ARE FATTER ? ) but thanks.

The M2 still needs to get into the gym and do some more weight training and keep dieting.
You need to remember there is almost no room left in the M4 in terms of weight savings. CF driveshaft (up until MY2018), CF hood (CS and GTS), CF roof, lightweight battery, aluminum fenders, titanium exhaust (CS and GTS) etc. They did everything they could do to save weight. What does M2 or M2 Comp have among these parts? None! So there is good chance BMW could shave off good amount of weight and put a $100k+ price tag on it. I really want them to do it because retrofitting some of those parts should be pretty straightforward without paying the crazy premium.
Appreciate 2
norMcal284.50
Yeineken1297.50
      04-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Manual gearbox optimization: that's something I also noticed when reading the M2 Competition press kit:
"The new BMW M2 Competition comes as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which stands out with its compact design and low weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fibre friction lining enhances shift comfort. An engagement speed control function, which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, makes gear changes even smoother. This also lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track. Switching off the DSC deactivates the engagement speed control function. Wet-sump lubrication prevents any sloshing of the transmission oil and ensures all components benefit from an efficient supply of oil."
In an early M2 test review some US journalist mentioned "rubbery feel" about the 6MT shifting. And those words spread like a virus among car journalists: "Great manual gearbox, yeah, but a bit of a rubbery feel though".

OK, if you drive a Cayman GT4 and M2 back-to-back, you'll notice that shifting the GT4 gearbox is superior (not gonna raise the topic of the often criticized long 2nd gear ratio of the GT4). Otherwise, IMHO that "rubbery feel" argument is a bit placebo-effect nitpicking.

But, anyways, it seems that BMW M had a closer look into it.

Technology moves on. With the M2 Competition you got the latest BMW technology on offer.
Artemis I think that this carbon fiber friction lining was also mentioned when M2 was originally released. It's on every BMW M2 landing site describing the 6MT:
"Designed to be both light and compact, the M 6-speed manual transmission is synonymous with intelligent lightweight construction. Inside the transmission, the new carbon fibre friction lining in the baulk rings provides more comfortable gear shifts, and a dry sump lubrication system ensures a more efficient supply of oil."
So nothing changed.
Appreciate 5
Artemis28917.50
S1monQc223.50
Rupes1053.50
rich8566608.50
      04-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
You need to remember there is almost no room left in the M4 in terms of weight savings. CF driveshaft (up until MY2018), CF hood (CS and GTS), CF roof, lightweight battery, aluminum fenders, titanium exhaust (CS and GTS) etc. They did everything they could do to save weight. What does M2 or M2 Comp have among these parts? None! So there is good chance BMW could shave off good amount of weight and put a $100k+ price tag on it. I really want them to do it because retrofitting some of those parts should be pretty straightforward without paying the crazy premium.
check your math again above.. heck.. check mine too..but based on US SPECs.. the M4 will weight slightly less.....
Well.. until we add back in the CF driveshaft weight...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
The other m2 comp threads have a lot of good insight but there's just too much of the flame wars with people accusing current m2 owners of being butt hurt and others accusing the non m2 owners of being zealots. Also, they seem to be discussing individual components and upgrades a lot and I'm trying to get a feel for the car as a whole.

I'm in a situation where I'm deciding between getting a 2018 for a discount between $3.5k and $5k or getting a July build for the competition at msrp. I'm sure there are a lot of others like me trying to decide.

My motivation to get into an m2 was because I test drove a 135is and loved the feel (I was in a stripper 328 at the time). Then the 1m was announced and it was my dream car. Unfortunately, I missed it and I was deeply regretting it until the current m2 was revealed. All of the promotional content for the m2 at the time had it being displayed with the 1m. To me, bmw was saying that the concept of the m2 was the same as the 1m but with some tweaks to make it a little better. I don't think that the m2 is the same as the 1m but the m2 stock comes close enough to what made me fall in love with the 1.

Reading through all the info regarding the competition, I can't help feeling that the m2 comp is going the way of the m3/m4. Perhaps then, the new m2 comp is most appealing to those looking for a baby m4 and the 2018 is more appealing to those who love the 1m for what it is? I'm really interested in driving feel. I'm interested in the New carbon-fiber friction lining for the manual transmission as well as the new LSD and new steering feel and the suspension bits taken from the m3/m4 zcp. Did they just have to change the steering logic to account for the heavier front end in which case it was more of a necessity than an upgrade to the current m2 steering?

I would greatly appreciate any insight from people who extensively drove the 1m and the m2 and the m4. I know some of you guys can read between the lines of all these specs on paper. There's no doubt that the m2 comp is the upgraded car but if it has become too close to the m4 then i'd rather just get a m4 zcp because those too can be found with a discount.

P.S. I don't care what I can sell the car for later but i do care about what i'll be paying for the car now.

Thanks for this. I'm also interested in hearing more about the difference in driver experience or how some of the new additions function. This without the background drama noise though...

If I'm hearing right, it seems like you have two questions to solve. 1) Do I generally like the M2 model 2) Do I like the current M2 or do I care more about the upcoming M2 Competition?

1) If you don't love it, it may be worth checking out other cars in the market or waiting for something better.

2) Taken with a grain of salt, there are points beaten to death around here. You'll be able to make your own judgement.

What's my story?
I put my name down on the waiting list in 2016 and got a call in 2017 and passed for a spot because I heard about the LCI. During that time, this forum was great for me to learn about the M2 Comp which I continued to pass up my allocations for this new version.

When I first saw the M2, I wanted it. Even after being partially upset that it had the N55, I still wanted it but really wished there were more separation from the M235i and M240i in terms of power among other shared or similar parts. For me, the M2 Comp checks these boxes and even though I don't absolutely love everything, I'm sure it would be great and it fits what I'm looking for.

After I purchase the car, I hope BMW continues building great cars so others can also have the type of enjoyment I'm expecting.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:

what do you mean by progress in the wrong direction?

Have you driven m4 and either 240i or m2?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
check your math again above.. heck.. check mine too..but based on US SPECs.. the M4 will weight slightly less.....
Well.. until we add back in the CF driveshaft weight...
The reason I compared EU weights is because they are official. Yes, if you just add 55kg/121lbs to official US weight it comes down to 3571lbs which is 6lbs heavier than an M4. I'm just waiting for the official US weight numbers. However, the point being is both M2 and M2 Comp have so much more potential to shave some weight off compared to an M4. If you replace an open-deck engine with a closed-deck, add extra cooling while not replacing anything else with their lighter counterparts to keep the price as low as possible of course you are gonna end up with a heavier car. BMW will happily give you what you want (probably in the near future) if you are lucky enough to be one of those 1000 or 2000 people and willing to pay a nice premium (e.g. M4 GTS vs M4 ZCP or M4 CS vs M4 ZCP).

I'll stop hijacking your thread OP. Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #14
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I currently have 2018 M2 and previously owned an F80 m3 and owned a 981 Spyder with same gear box like GT4 and driven GT4 multiple times
off the bat BMW is not a Porsche so steering feel and 6 MT in Porsche are a league or two above BMW ,
back to your questions
M2 vs M2c
M2 + engine sound is definitely superior to S55 . I know they have tried to improve sound with MPE , but still sound worse than N55.
M2C +
S55 is a beast of an engine reference power and torque
M performance seats are certainly a plus. M2 seats are ok at best
may be brakes and may be refined steering.... still up in the air till I drive the car
M2 and M2c vs M4
even with comparable weight, the M2 is a small car and I think this is the best thing about the car. M3/M4 have gotten so big
overall , If I want to buy an M2 today , I personally will go for M2C
but if you are concerned about buying price
if the delta between M2 with discount and M2C without discount is around 10 + k
I don't think it is worth it
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #15
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
I currently have 2018 M2 and previously owned an F80 m3 and owned a 981 Spyder with same gear box like GT4 and driven GT4 multiple times
off the bat BMW is not a Porsche so steering feel and 6 MT in Porsche are a league or two above BMW ,
back to your questions
M2 vs M2c
M2 + engine sound is definitely superior to S55 . I know they have tried to improve sound with MPE , but still sound worse than N55.
M2C +
S55 is a beast of an engine reference power and torque
M performance seats are certainly a plus. M2 seats are ok at best
may be brakes and may be refined steering.... still up in the air till I drive the car
M2 and M2c vs M4
even with comparable weight, the M2 is a small car and I think this is the best thing about the car. M3/M4 have gotten so big
overall , If I want to buy an M2 today , I personally will go for M2C
but if you are concerned about buying price
if the delta between M2 with discount and M2C without discount is around 10 + k
I don't think it is worth it
Have you heard the M2c sound clip? I think they improved the S55 sound 10 fold.

https://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/m...nen-blick.html
Appreciate 1
Tag17935.50
      04-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #16
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
what do you mean by progress in the wrong direction?

Have you driven m4 and either 240i or m2?
So i drove the 135is but i haven't driven the 1m. I took what everyone was saying about the 1m and fit my own idea of how it drives according to my experience with the 135is. I own a 2017 m240i coupe rear wheel drive mt and i have driven an m2 and know several people that own the m2. I haven't driven an m4 zcp but i know what the longer wheelbase will feel like.

I didn't mean wrong direction in a negative tone regarding progress. I meant wrong direction from what I want which is a smaller flickable car. I view, the progress from the 2 door m3 to what the m4 is now as the wrong direction from what I personally am looking for. Maybe my title wasn't a very good choice of words.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #17
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

@ op

The increased weight is something that bothers me also, but in all honesty, there is no way that it outweighs the advantages of all the other improvements. No pun intended.

I track my cars reguraly and I am always on a mission to shed weight on them. Took my old e30 m3 from ~2900 to ~2600 lbs and my current e46 M3 from ~3450 to ~3200 lbs. In both cases the weight reductions were more than double what we are talking about, and it really only was slightly noticeable.

Based on my experience reducing weight, without gutting a car. There are always a few areas that can be addressed. Usually a lightweight battery is good for 35 to 45 lbs, depending on the stock unit and how much you want to spend. Also seats. Maybe don't opt for the upgraded seats and get Recaro Sportster'. Probably good for another 40 lbs.Then remove all the junk out of the trunk and voila, saved that 100 lbs. Not that you would probably notice it.
Appreciate 4
M-Pilot4859.00
Nkc1600.50
      04-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #18
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:

US SPEC M4 6MT - 3565 lbs = 1617 kg
US SPEC M4 DCT - 3620 lbs = 1642 kg

US SPEC M2 6MT - 3450 lbs = 1564kg
US SPEC M2 DCT - 3505 lbs = 1590 kg

US SPEC M2C MT - ?? 3569 ?? = 1619 kg
US SPEC M2C DCT - ?? 3626 ?? = 1645 kg

For the US SPEC M2 I simply added the 55KG to the KG weights and did the math.. The responses are in ?? because they are unofficial.
All of these cars are still lighter than my old e92 M2
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #19
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
One of the European sites said that M2 Comps won't be available for media testing until "this summer." That probably means there will be no instrumented reviews of pre-production cars by the media. If the real start of production is July 18, we won't see the instrumented reviews of real cars until August or September. It looks like BMW may be trying to time the reviews to the actual delivery of the car at dealers.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #20
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

3rdPedalAddict I had the same thoughts and went for the 2018. I'll get the car early June, don't want to wait any longer. M2C I'd get in September probably. As EOP for M2C is until 2020 I can switch to M2C or hopefully to a CS/L for the full hardcore experience by June 2020. For me at least it's a learning curve as it's my first full time RWD DD car in manual (and my first BMW) I get it for the full experience - no excuses.

I was thinking a lot about it and it really comes down to one thing, will you feel bad and get buyers remorse for not having (subjectively) the newest coolest thing?
I was there, even now while waiting for the LCI sometimes I'm thinking that maybe I made a mistake and should've waited. But then I realise that after that M2C there is gonna be next thing, and the next and the next after the next It's all about the experience - in the end this is what we are left with.

There is also the fact that I got a nice discount, in 2020 I'll get the same for M2C.

My feeling is that S55 M2 is going to be more like 1M in character than N55 M2, spiky and a bit wild with all that torque on tap. Weight of the car is a bit problematic but power offsets that. If the sound is similar to M4 ZCP I have nothing against it, it's loud and obnoxious what else do you need.
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      04-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #21
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I am positive that if is was economically viable, M engineers would of made the car lighter.. They didn't increase the weight just to F with us..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #22
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
@ op

The increased weight is something that bothers me also, but in all honesty, there is no way that it outweighs the advantages of all the other improvements. No pun intended.

I track my cars reguraly and I am always on a mission to shed weight on them. Took my old e30 m3 from ~2900 to ~2600 lbs and my current e46 M3 from ~3450 to ~3200 lbs. In both cases the weight reductions were more than double what we are talking about, and it really only was slightly noticeable.

Based on my experience reducing weight, without gutting a car. There are always a few areas that can be addressed. Usually a lightweight battery is good for 35 to 45 lbs, depending on the stock unit and how much you want to spend. Also seats. Maybe don't opt for the upgraded seats and get Recaro Sportster'. Probably good for another 40 lbs.Then remove all the junk out of the trunk and voila, saved that 100 lbs. Not that you would probably notice it.
What about upsetting the balance? I wouldn't want to create unnecessary understeer.

Also, i didn't specifically mention this but i really like the classic design cues of the 1m (minus the headlights) and so I really like the look of the m2 in it's stock form with the chrome grill surrounds, side gills and exhaust tips. Even the look of the m2 comp seems to be progressing in the other direction.
Appreciate 0