F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Bonded Resin Driveways
Extreme Powerhouse

04-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
Kiddy1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Bonded Resin Driveways

Afternoon all,

My partner and I are looking at getting a resin driveway installed but have no idea on the costs, I will be getting some quotes but would like to know your experiences before committing/booking anything.

I don’t have a great amount of spare cash per month, after bills. So this would be a pretty big deal for me!

Driveway is around 15x10ft and 15x20ft (putting it in to rectangles)... it basically L shaped.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddy1 View Post
Afternoon all,

My partner and I are looking at getting a resin driveway installed but have no idea on the costs, I will be getting some quotes but would like to know your experiences before committing/booking anything.

I don’t have a great amount of spare cash per month, after bills. So this would be a pretty big deal for me!

Driveway is around 15x10ft and 15x20ft (putting it in to rectangles)... it basically L shaped.
I got a quote as an alternative to block paving for an additional car standing space. The quote for bonded resin was about twice the price as for block paving - about 7600 versus 3800. Different firms so dont know how much was the material and how much their profit margins but thought it would give an example.

Space was 2 car size so 20 foot by 15 foot or thereabouts...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
XK140
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SEAT Leon Cupra Carbon/GT86

I'm interested in this to go over my scruffy concrete drive.
But isn't the point that it's best used to cover over existing concrete or tarmac because it avoids the digging up process?...and so is economical in that sense,but perhaps not if it's the in thing and the cowboys think they can make a big margin on it.
I'm also doubtful about durability.
In reading a bit I found out that there are two sorts,resin bonded where the resin is spread on the ground and the fine stone is rolled on top.
Then "resin bound" where the resin and stone are mixed together then trowelled on to the ground (better?)

Not yet got round to getting a quote from anyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by XK140 View Post
I'm interested in this to go over my scruffy concrete drive.
But isn't the point that it's best used to cover over existing concrete or tarmac because it avoids the digging up process?...and so is economical in that sense,but perhaps not if it's the in thing and the cowboys think they can make a big margin on it.
I'm also doubtful about durability.
In reading a bit I found out that there are two sorts,resin bonded where the resin is spread on the ground and the fine stone is rolled on top.
Then "resin bound" where the resin and stone are mixed together then trowelled on to the ground (better?)

Not yet got round to getting a quote from anyone.
Possibly - the house we rented had a scruffy concrete drive (recently laid) and since we moved out they have had a resin top coat put on. We had nothing to start with so lots of digging out to do...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

I had a big driveway / garden landscape job done last year. It was about 15k in all, of which the driveway element was about 4.5k. Not sure on the dimensions but it's two car width, and a car and a half deep.

Anyway, my point is that when I initially looked at resin bond, purely because I preferred the look, literally everyone I spoke to was anti it. I think the idea is that a decent block pave will last many decades, whereas resin bond just won't last anywhere near as long. So if you're going to do it, you need to have huge control over the process to be sure they are starting it with proper preparation, not just throwing it down. If a firm isn't prepared to properly consult on that aspect then you will likely regret it down the line.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Can't beat a nice bit of tarmac as long as it's done well. The drive is on my list at the new house but it's towards the bottom so won't be this year.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Kiddy1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
I had a big driveway / garden landscape job done last year. It was about 15k in all, of which the driveway element was about 4.5k. Not sure on the dimensions but it's two car width, and a car and a half deep.

Anyway, my point is that when I initially looked at resin bond, purely because I preferred the look, literally everyone I spoke to was anti it. I think the idea is that a decent block pave will last many decades, whereas resin bond just won't last anywhere near as long. So if you're going to do it, you need to have huge control over the process to be sure they are starting it with proper preparation, not just throwing it down. If a firm isn't prepared to properly consult on that aspect then you will likely regret it down the line.
That’s interesting... I thought the resin lasted a hell of a long time and was basically worry free.

The company I am looking at seem to remove all previous surfaces and level it with hardcore etc and make sure water runs where it should do, and the build from the ‘foundations’ up.

Having a house is so over rated! 😒 I preferred having some cash In the bank 😮
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddy1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post

That's interesting... I thought the resin lasted a hell of a long time and was basically worry free.

The company I am looking at seem to remove all previous surfaces and level it with hardcore etc and make sure water runs where it should do, and the build from the 'foundations' up.

Having a house is so over rated! ðŸ˜' I preferred having some cash In the bank 😮
In the same boat mate, however cash in the bank is alright, having your own castle and being proud of what you work hard for is just as good I promise you. I have been in my house nearly two years, done lots to it even though it's only 6 years old, and now we are on to kitchen...the quotes are ridiculous, I may push to do a driveway first! Lol
      04-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Block paving, being individual blocks, can move. Areas can be lifted and relaid if it indents over time, I.e. cars driving on/off along the same lines and are parked in the same place every time.

I imagine that resin, unlike tarmac, would crack and would be very difficult to repair invisibly. It's probably also impervious to water (at a guess; I've never opted for it) and may not be approved by town planners unless specific drainage and soak-aways are included in the design.

Personally I'd opt for good quality block paving every time. The one downside can be moss and grass growing in the joints, but this can be managed with strong weedkiller.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

The best low maintenance drive has to be plain black asphalt!

The resin type stuff are ok for foot traffic.... add a car with slow steering and within a few years you’ll be getting rutting.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
chiefy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport

Anyone had the imprinted concrete driveway done? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #12
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefy View Post
This is worth a read.

https://www.marshalls.co.uk/homeowne...-concrete-4201

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
My brother did at his first house and said never again, it looked good but soon started wearing quite badly especially with turning the steering wheel in a stationary car, if there's a stone underneath then it just wrecks them.

His was as dear as block paving that will literally last for decades.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:20 AM   #14
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
All the ones done around us look attrocious, wouldn't go anywhere near one.

Last edited by NotGotABimmer23; 04-17-2018 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #15
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

I have a gravel path with a golden mix.
If it looks a bit shabby I buy 6 bags of gravel at £3 each, rake it in and it looks
like new again.

Last edited by Isow; 04-17-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #16
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Those plastic gravel grids at a depth of 5cm plus a few bulk bags of gravel, if you go for size of 14mm or above you won't see any gravel migration or get bits stuck in your tyres. Excellent for draining standing water. You can even cycle over it. Some of the grids you can get anti-weed matting already attached to the underside.

Example https://www.corelp.co.uk/core-drive/

Last edited by rossm; 04-17-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #17
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Just copied this from an ad:

How long will stone resin bound last
And why it is cost effective and the best product on the market, for an over lay can be a lot cheaper than block paving tarmac and concrete with no mess
Resin bound driveways are created by mixing resin with small stones, before being hand trowelled to create a stunningly smooth surface. The application process makes resin bound surfaces water permeable, and fully SUDs compliant. That means you do not need prior planning permission to install resin, and you can apply it to existing surfaces.
A relatively new product in the UK, resin bound driveways are popular in Australia because of their resistance to changes in weather. Resin is one of the more durable materials for a driveway.
But the question is, exactly how long does a resin bound driveway last? There are many factors that contribute to the longevity. For one, whether the resin driveway was installed by certified and professional contractors.
Another factor is maintenance. When properly maintained, resin can last up to 25 years. Usually, companies give a guarantee of between 12 and 18 years. Before we look deeper into the longevity issue, let’s see the benefits that a resin bound driveway provides…
Benefits Of Resin Bound Driveways
There are many reasons why you should choose resin over concrete, asphalt, gravel, or pavers for your driveway.
For one, resin is water permeable, and does not require prior planning permission. Resin allows water to penetrate directly into the earth. Because of this, there are no puddles left behind.
Resin does not crack, and you do not need to worry about loose stones. And unlike gravel, resin does not allow weeds to creep up.
Installation of resin lasts up to 48 hours, after which you can start using your new driveway. Versatility is a huge advantage of resin driveways. There is a variety of colours and textures you can choose from. Resin can fit any house, be it modern, contemporary, or more traditional. You can easily pair the landscape of your driveway with the style of your home. And considering the driveway is the first thing people encounter when they visit your home, you want an attractive and durable option.
Why Resin Stands The Test Of Time
Resin bound driveways are extremely aesthetically appealing, and their quality is undeniable. With a proper aftercare and maintenance program, you can expect your resin surface to last for many years to come.
The reason why resin driveways last as long as they do is because of the application process followed to install them. Resin surfaces are constructed with flexibility in mind, consequently enabling them to withstand all types of weather. Resin can survive heavy and harsh rainfall and downpours because of its impressive permeability.
In addition to this, resin can also survive dangerously icy conditions. Concrete, on the other hand, will crack under pressure, thereby ruining the visual appeal of your home, and will require heavy repair to resolve it.
Professional Product, Professional Service
Successful results are heavily dependent on good preparation, and that is certainly true for our installation of resin driveways.
We pride in achieving the correct ratio of resin to aggregate. It is a form of science, and many companies fail by trying to use less aggregate to cut their costs. But that will affect the long-term functionality of your driveway. We do not take such shortcuts.
We also do not try cheap tricks like charging you for excavating the entire base. Remember, resin can be installed on top of any existing tarmac and concrete surface.
Some companies offer as little as 2% binder; despite the fact that resin cannot achieve its full potential at that percentage. The minimum percentage is 6% of binder.
Being that we pride ourselves in professional installation, we use clean aggregates and machinery. No dusty, damp, or oversized aggregates that result in system failure, just a pleasingly professional product, installed to the highest standards.
Appreciate 0