BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Tobias Moers:Next generation (W206) Mercedes-AMG C Class to go hybrid, drop cylinders

He also acknowledges AWD is a possibility.

None of these are particularly surprising moves, but this is the first time I recall seeing the boss man open up about it with more specifics.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/636395/...-tobias-moers/

Quote:
While rival German carmakers have ditched sonorous V8 engines for blown six-cylinder options, at least in the small performance segment, Mercedes-AMG has stayed the course with the rear-drive C63 – at least for now.

With stringent emissions requirements needing to be met by all manufacturers, as well as the fast-track to electrification, the days of AMG twin-turbo V8s seem numbered. That’s according to Tobias Moers, head of Mercedes-AMG.

“I think the formula is perfect for now, but for sure we need to have a close look at viable alternatives, because we have to be creative and I’m chasing performance and that’s not strictly linked to the number of cylinders,” he said, speaking with CarAdvice at the New York motor show.

“If you apply proper intelligent hybridisation or electrification to a car which is capable of having an always-on strategy regarding the battery and the whole system, then it’s amazing what you can get out of them.

“Which means for sure the next-generation Mercedes-AMG C63 will be a hybrid – that’s now a given,” he said.

Rear-wheel drive has also been a hallmark of the C63 – Moers calls it “the wild child” – but he hinted that could change change in the next generation.

The facelifted C63 S unveiled in New York uses 25,000 new parts, but the 375kW/700Nm V8 engine’s output remains unchanged. Moers saw no reason to increase those numbers with the latest version.

“I think it’s a perfect combination of power output and gears, now with the nine-speed box, which offers the perfect range of gears. It’s better sorted out on a race track – you’re always in the right gear, coming out of corners, for example,” he told us.

“The C63 was always well balanced, but now it’s better because we increased the driving dynamics, added a little bit more comfort and it’s faster on a racetrack with better traction on the rear axle. You can get back on the throttle mid-corner and nothing happens, which is great.

“We applied some features from the GT R, too, like our integrated vehicle controller, which is part of the ESP. We’ve also changed all the suspension settings with a new anti-roll bar and new dampers, spring rates along with geometry changes for really, more comfort and faster lap times.”

We asked Moers about the effect hybridisation and electrification will have on AMG’s trademark exhaust note, given this is a fundamental requirement for most buyers.

“Obviously, if it runs electrical then there’s no AMG thunder. We are facing severe regulations, especially in Europe, but sound is very important for our customers, no doubt about that. However, I’m confident that we will find the right solution for that issue”.

He also told us to expect something very different in the next SL roadster, which may well become an exclusive AMG model – but not in the same form as the existing car.

“There’s a lot of potential with the next-generation SL to be honest. It’s going to be something very different from the current car.”
Appreciate 1
southlight1491.50
      04-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
InspireSiR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E92

Writing was on the wall when they released the 53 models. Why keep the technology to only those cars? Plus the rumors of 73 models using the same tech pretty much confirms all cars will be hybrid since 73 would be their flagship cars and the tech trickles downward.

With Mercedes and Audi both going hybrid, the question is, when will BMW M do the same?
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      04-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Well, I guess it means that now is about the right time to get a V8 C63…oops, did I really just say that?

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 4
JustChris17427.50
JTO245246.50
      05-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Given that the F90 M5 is already starting to put down faster laptimes than the F8x ZCP despite being about 600 lbs heavier - it would seem that an AWD (with ability to select RWD) is a good possibility for the G8x M3/M4. The question is if in fact it becomes AWD, will it be a purely "mechanical" AWD like the F90, or hybrid AWD (maybe electrically-driven front wheels - and if the driver selects RWD mode, no electrical current would be sent to the front wheels)?

Whether or not this is feasible with current technology and without sacrificing driving dynamics/feel - I guess we'll see. Either way, the massive performance jump from the F10 to the F90 definitely has peaked my interest (especially given the slight weight reduction F10 to F90 despite going AWD)...
Appreciate 1
Bowser330288.50
      05-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

One more point - if the F90 is putting down such impressive laptime numbers, imagine what a 600+ pound lighter G8x would do with AWD
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
One more point - if the F90 is putting down such impressive laptime numbers, imagine what a 600+ pound lighter G8x would do with AWD
Gotta see F90 M5's lap around Nurburgring first. E63S wagon does it in a wooping 7:45.19.

I personally don't need the weight of AWD transfer case on an M car since I would be driving in RWD anyways. It would be ideal if they offered the car in two trims: AWD with switchable RWD, and pure RWD with no nanny whatsoever.
      05-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Gotta see F90 M5's lap around Nurburgring first. E63S wagon does it in a wooping 7:45.19.

I personally don't need the weight of AWD transfer case on an M car since I would be driving in RWD anyways. It would be ideal if they offered the car in two trims: AWD with switchable RWD, and pure RWD with no nanny whatsoever.
Assuming that BMW could offer both options while still keeping the pricing competitive - then I'd be in favor of that!!!
Appreciate 0