BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > PPF and Ceramic Coating

03-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
apg13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Cayman 718 S

PPF and Ceramic Coating

Hi all,

I will be picking up my new 2018 AW M2 next week, and in the meantime I have been looking at my options in terms of ceramic coating and ppf.

I have narrowed it down to two shops which offer slightly different products, but they both seem very reputable and are equally priced (within $100). They both offer the same films for PPF but different products for ceramic coating:

1) Modesta BC-03/04/05
2) Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra 10h - this shop also offers me an interior coating by Gtechniq included, but I'm not sure how useful/worthwhile this is.

My question is: are either of these products better than the other assuming an equally skilled application? Both of them obviously speak very highly of their respective products and I have also read good things about both, so I'm not sure which way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I have exactly the same question about Gtechniq vs. Opti-Coat and all the others. As far as a ceramic coating over Xpel, this is what the company says:

"Yes, Coatings can be applied to the films. Adding a coating does not stop the film from self-healing. Coatings can add a protective layer over the film, which depending on the coating can provide different properties (Please contact your installer or coating company for more information). That additional coating layer, depending on the coating applied, may or may not self-heal. Once the coating wears down and deteriorates, the self-healing qualities of XPEL ULTIMATE and STEALTH will still remain."

However, if you have Xpel Stealth, the company recommends testing in an inconspicuous area first, since some ceramic coatings will add a gloss to the Stealth.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 06:22 AM   #3
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Modesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg13 View Post
Hi all,

I will be picking up my new 2018 AW M2 next week, and in the meantime I have been looking at my options in terms of ceramic coating and ppf.

I have narrowed it down to two shops which offer slightly different products, but they both seem very reputable and are equally priced (within $100). They both offer the same films for PPF but different products for ceramic coating:

1) Modesta BC-03/04/05
2) Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra 10h - this shop also offers me an interior coating by Gtechniq included, but I'm not sure how useful/worthwhile this is.

My question is: are either of these products better than the other assuming an equally skilled application? Both of them obviously speak very highly of their respective products and I have also read good things about both, so I'm not sure which way to go.
I don't think you can go wrong with either, personally I like BC-05 on gloss film. We have applied it to Suntek Ultra and it looks absolutely wicked and the water behavior is phenomenal. That being said, I know peers who have used both BC-03 and BC-04 on film and had great results.

As far as GTechniq Ultra. I suspect it is a great coating as well.

Focus on the shop applying and look for the things you like about each one. Do you like the people you are working with?
Will they stand behind their work in case something has to be fixed?
Does one give you a better feeling than the other? I know that sounds subjective, but you really can feel better with one company over the other.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
apg13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Cayman 718 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either, personally I like BC-05 on gloss film. We have applied it to Suntek Ultra and it looks absolutely wicked and the water behavior is phenomenal. That being said, I know peers who have used both BC-03 and BC-04 on film and had great results.

As far as GTechniq Ultra. I suspect it is a great coating as well.

Focus on the shop applying and look for the things you like about each one. Do you like the people you are working with?
Will they stand behind their work in case something has to be fixed?
Does one give you a better feeling than the other? I know that sounds subjective, but you really can feel better with one company over the other.

Bruce
Thanks for that. I'm leaning towards the Modesta + Suntek Ultra at the moment. Only downside to this shop is exclusively offer Rayno Phantom tints which I'm not really familiar with but I can always get tints elsewhere.

The owner of Modesta shop has worked on a couple of M2's in the past which is helping the decision for me a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Modesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg13 View Post
Thanks for that. I'm leaning towards the Modesta + Suntek Ultra at the moment. Only downside to this shop is exclusively offer Rayno Phantom tints which I'm not really familiar with but I can always get tints elsewhere.

The owner of Modesta shop has worked on a couple of M2's in the past which is helping the decision for me a lot.
Correct, Tint could be done somewhere else if you are not familiar with what they offer.

Bruce
Appreciate 0