BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    Tuned F90 M5's days are already numbered?

03-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Looks like Cadillac is staying in the fight.

I will imagine that the next CTS-V will get a similar motor as this CT6 V-Sport and if it does, we're talking tuning this new Caddy motor to over 1,000hp with no problems whatsoever. Compared to trying to tune the new S63tu4 which still has cast internals.

Just read the articles and you will see what steps Caddy is now taking to compete with the Germans. From a purely tuning standpoint this new CT6 V-Sport and the next generation CTS-V will be easily tuned monsters, especially as they are getting AWD as standard as well.

The rest of the car, well you can probably guess that they still be light years behind the Germans in terms of quality, fit, finish, luxury and comfort, but in terms of potential performance, I just don't see a way that Germans cars can compete without individual owners pulling the motor out and doing a full build project, which also voids the warranty might I add.

We'll see what the future brings.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadil...m=&utm_source=

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ocialflowFBRAT

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-21-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

It will be interesting to see what the specifications are if/when Cadillac launches the next generation full-blood CT6-V/CTS-V model. The V models have always been about big power, and I expect Cadillac to continue this trend.

I wonder if they will take the Porsche Panamera Turbo S / rumored Mercedes AMG "73"-series approach of pairing a 600hp-ish engine with a 100+ hp hybrid system to get to 700 hp.

Going to 700+ hp from a pure ICE system in a manner that meets the reliability standards of a major manufacturer might require fairly expensive components/engines (e.g. the McLaren M840T in the 720S) or fairly large displacement even with FI (Dodge 6.2L Supercharger), so it might actually be simpler and/or cheaper to go the hybrid route (and better for CAFE standards too).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchn View Post
It will be interesting to see what the specifications are if/when Cadillac launches the next generation full-blood CT6-V/CTS-V model. The V models have always been about big power, and I expect Cadillac to continue this trend.

I wonder if they will take the Porsche Panamera Turbo S / rumored Mercedes AMG "73"-series approach of pairing a 600hp-ish engine with a 100+ hp hybrid system to get to 700 hp.

Going to 700+ hp from a pure ICE system in a manner that meets the reliability standards of a major manufacturer might require fairly expensive components/engines (e.g. the McLaren M840T in the 720S) or fairly large displacement even with FI (Dodge 6.2L Supercharger), so it might actually be simpler and/or cheaper to go the hybrid route (and better for CAFE standards too).
I doubt they will go the hybrid route. That drivetrain setup will be more expensive than staying with a purely ICE setup. I think the next generation M5 will go the hybrid route and will boast a better fuel efficiency rating than any of its competitors. American cars have usually been about using the sledgehammer approach to beat the Germans. But with these new Caddy motors coming from the factory as hand-built forged motors they will be able to compete with other makes (whether hybrid or featuring other exotic technology) for a long time in the after market tuning world. Stock for stock, the next M5 in 2024 will still be better than the next Cadillac CTS-V due in a couple of years though. Crazy times ahead no matter which side we look at it though.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
IANNUZZI
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GoDZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Looks like Cadillac is staying in the fight.

I will imagine that the next CTS-V will get a similar motor as this CT6 V-Sport and if it does, we're talking tuning this new Caddy motor to over 1,000hp with no problems whatsoever. Compared to trying to tune the new S63tu4 which still has cast internals.

Just read the articles and you will see what steps Caddy is now taking to compete with the Germans. From a purely tuning standpoint this new CT6 V-Sport and the next generation CTS-V will be easily tuned monsters, especially as they are getting AWD as standard as well.

The rest of the car, well you can probably guess that they still be light years behind the Germans in terms of quality, fit, finish, luxury and comfort, but in terms of potential performance, I just don't see a way that Germans cars can compete without individual owners pulling the motor out and doing a full build project, which also voids the warranty might I add.

We'll see what the future brings.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadil...m=&utm_source=

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ocialflowFBRAT
Wtf does GM know about turbo v8s? Nothing....compared to the German manufacturers who have had v8/v12 turbo engines for the long time. 1000hp, dream on , more likely 1000 pieces ....
Appreciate 0