E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Engine dies after 5 seconds

03-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
mikec205
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Engine dies after 5 seconds

I replaced the valve cover gasket. On the initial start up it idled fine for about 10 minutes, as soon as tried to increase the rpm the engine started acting up and is sounded like a diesel so it shut the car off. Since then it will start for about 5 seconds and then die. I did get a P052b code and the noise it was making definitely sounds like a timing issue. I followed the procedure for the eccentric shaft actuator, so i don't think that's it.

When I was removing the valve cover, I forgot to disconnect the battery and during removal I accidentally hit the positive battery terminal with my wrench (could I have shorted something? The 40 amp fuse in the fuse panel is ok.)
I've double checked my work and everything's connected properly.
I'm about to take it to a mechanic but if seems like it should be a simple fix.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec205 View Post
I replaced the valve cover gasket. On the initial start up it idled fine for about 10 minutes, as soon as tried to increase the rpm the engine started acting up and is sounded like a diesel so it shut the car off. Since then it will start for about 5 seconds and then die. I did get a P052b code and the noise it was making definitely sounds like a timing issue. I followed the procedure for the eccentric shaft actuator, so i don't think that's it.

When I was removing the valve cover, I forgot to disconnect the battery and during removal I accidentally hit the positive battery terminal with my wrench (could I have shorted something? The 40 amp fuse in the fuse panel is ok.)
Thanks
Sounds like it may have jumped timing, which is unlikely. Try cleaning the banks solenoids, swapping them and resetting adaptations and try again.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

If the wrench touched power and a ground, it's possible that modules through out the can be affected when grounding out a power source, there very sensitive to power. Thes cars with power and ground issues have a tendency to thro false codes. To rule out fuel pressure, use a gauge to make sure the rule pump module wasn't affected. There is a circuit board in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec205 View Post

Thanks
Try resetting the eccentric cam adaptions.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

You can try to remove the Valvetronic motor and place it back, in case its worm gear had not seated on the eccentric shaft gear. There are some valve covers DIYs that tell to wiggle it out when removing the Valvetronic motor and wiggle it in when installing it back. But wiggling it out and in is not the correct way to do, correct way is listed here at PelicanParts article (and at Bentley manual):

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec..._Replacing.htm

Steps with Figure 11 to 15 are how to remove it correctly, and step with Figure 20 is to install it in. Basically to remove, you first turn the motor with an allen wrench from its rear clockwise until it hits the stop. Then with all the bolts removed from the motor holding it down, you turn counterclockwise as you are pulling the motor gently. Because of the worm gear at the end of the shaft of the motor, as you rotate its shaft with the allen wrench it will be pushed out naturally as the gear turns. Install is opposite, you place it as much as it can go. The start thread of the worm gear will engage with the start thread of the eccentric shaft side gear. You rotate with the allen wrench clockwise, which will pull the motor in all the way and seat it.

Another thing to look at with the code you gave and the year of your is Vanos bolt recall:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...45283-5967.pdf

If you don't know try to see if your car had this recall done from a dealer.
Appreciate 0