E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2006 330i Head Bolt issue

03-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
ktm137
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

2006 330i Head Bolt issue

Hi,

While having my airbag replaced on my 2006 330i, the dealer noticed my oil pan gasket leaking (I'd told the SA about it before hand).

With coupons, etc, the offered a decent price on doing it so I said OK.

Once the pan was dropped, they found two bolt heads in the oil pan.

He labeled these as 'head bolts' - a semi-common/known issue.

In researching this it sounds like there are four aluminum bolts, three under the valve cover, one by the OFH. For 2006 it sounds like it's not uncommon for them to break off at the head.

My dilemma is as follows:
- Their quote is $2150 to replace the four bolts. Sounds like the cam/timing chain have to be removed/disconnected to get to at least two of the bolts.

- I have no oil leak in this area.

- Unless the valve cover is removed, I have no idea if the third bolt under the valve cover is still intact, or if it has also broken, but the bolt head is lodged or stuck somewhere in the head.

Do I:
- Since no oil leak, risk it and just continue to drive?
- Seek out an independent shop that knows of this issue?
- Contact BMWNA to see if they will go any sort of goodwill help? Has anyone had luck with this?

Has anyone done this repair themselves? Sounds like some special tools are required.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Last edited by ktm137; 03-02-2018 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Are you planning on keeping this car long term, and is it in good shape? It might be worth contacting an Indy to see if they could give you a better rate.

BMWNA will likely do nothing for you since the car is 12 years old.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

they aren't really "head bolts" in the sense that they don't really seal the head gasket. the N52 doesn't have a traditional timing chain cover - it's all cast as one unit (into the head and block). So the bolts at the front of the engine, which seal the gasket around the timing chain - are technically "head bolts" in the sense that they are physically part of the head - but really they just seal the bit of gasket around the timing chain. In any case I wouldn't be freaking out too much about it. The actual head bolts (which seal the combustion chambers and coolant passages) are made of steel and don't break.

If you ever had to do do the valve cover gasket (or remove the valve cover for a different reason), it would be a good time to replace the broken aluminum bolts. Otherwise, if it's not leaking any oil around the front of the engine, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Really, these are like $6000 cars now. Spending $2000 or something on labor to fix something "just because" is silly. Although I'm sure a shop would be more than willing to part you with your money...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
ktm137
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Even though the car has 180k miles, it's in good shape and fun, so I'm planning on keeping it for a while more. A kid in college helps that cause :-)

hassmaschine or others: If all three under the cover bolts are broken (two that I know of, the third, who knows yet), are there any other risks besides an oil leak? Nothing with the timing change?

I know an oil leak can cause issue with the serpentine belt and getting sucked in at the crank.

As far as replacing the bolts once the cover is off - it looks like a bit of a pain:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...844&highlight=

Has anyone tackled this? If it can be done as shown above, the additional tools required don't look too bad.

Thanks for the info and feedback!
Kevin
Appreciate 0