E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MHD help

02-25-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

MHD help

Hey guys,
here is the issue. I am looking forward to tune my 2011 335xi N55 sedan and I am pretty sure I will go with MHD flasher. The problem is that I live in Canada and I do not understand what king of map I need to get in order to respect my octane rating. I run on 91 in Ottawa. I don't know what all of these acronyms like ACN, CAD, OCT, RON stand for as well as the 2 different numbers for each map. I would like to know what I am doing before messing up with my car.

Thanks for your time and help.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

You live in canada like me and we have very bad 'winter gas'. With butane. You need to use the California gas map 91 Octane.(ACN) Unfortunately in ontario we dont have E85. That would change everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Alright I get what you mean! Do you run that map all year long or you switch during summer?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Alright I get what you mean! Do you run that map all year long or you switch during summer?
You can switch and basically run logs and see how the timing corrections go. If the car detects knock it pulls more timing. Then you know the fuel is not very good for that map. I put Klotz octane booster throughout the year because i am paranoid and want good combustion. Bad combustion will destroy rings and can cause rod/main bearing failures over time.

Keep an eye on timing corrections from logs. I can show you what that means if your not sure. It also takes some time before the DME adjust for new gas. Resetting octane adaptations speeds up this time.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
You can switch and basically run logs and see how the timing corrections go. If the car detects knock it pulls more timing. Then you know the fuel is not very good for that map. I put Klotz octane booster throughout the year because i am paranoid and want good combustion. Bad combustion will destroy rings and can cause rod/main bearing failures over time.

Keep an eye on timing corrections from logs. I can show you what that means if your not sure. It also takes some time before the DME adjust for new gas. Resetting octane adaptations speeds up this time.

Honestly I would really appreciate if you could. It will allow me to monitor the car's status which is very important for me. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Np at all please private message me i can give you my email address. I can show you actual comparisons. Its easier to help that way. I am pationate about this platform and will show u anything i know. How to also monitor any potential causes of misfires or other issues. I was able to pinpoint rough idle issues i had during cold start. It was intermittent.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
blackx1x35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xdrive35i

Could I ask for some assistance too? I don't know what to look for in the MHD logs for knock. Unfortunately live in Nevada so I will be running ACN maps especially in the winter. Would like to try regular 91 in the summer but want to keep an eye out to make sure I'm not compromising longetivity.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx1x35 View Post
Could I ask for some assistance too? I don't know what to look for in the MHD logs for knock. Unfortunately live in Nevada so I will be running ACN maps especially in the winter. Would like to try regular 91 in the summer but want to keep an eye out to make sure I'm not compromising longetivity.
Look at your timing graphs.

if you have a timing COR (corrected) set up. Ideally you dont want to see any negative values. Always 0. But -3 degrees on 2 cylinders or 3 is OK. More than 3 degrees negative on more than 3 cylinders is not a good situation. It most likely means you gas is not good quality (high enough octane)

Also its important to note that when you are its under FULL wide open throttle and the car has reached operating temperature. Partial throttle timing pulls are more complicated we wont get to hose. We are looking at full throttle and boosted corrected timing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If the app is displaying actual timing values CKP for all cylinders then reading that is a bit different. I can explain that as well. Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #9
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Look at your timing graphs.

if you have a timing COR (corrected) set up. Ideally you dont want to see any negative values. Always 0. But -3 degrees on 2 cylinders or 3 is OK. More than 3 degrees negative on more than 3 cylinders is not a good situation. It most likely means you gas is not good quality (high enough octane)

Also its important to note that when you are its under FULL wide open throttle and the car has reached operating temperature. Partial throttle timing pulls are more complicated we wont get to hose. We are looking at full throttle and boosted corrected timing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If the app is displaying actual timing values CKP for all cylinders then reading that is a bit different. I can explain that as well. Let me know.
This might be a stupid question but would leaving DTC on while logging have anything to do with timing corrections?
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
This might be a stupid question but would leaving DTC on while logging have anything to do with timing corrections?
I dont see why...

Timing corrections happen when Knock sensor (Narrow band microphone nothing else) detects a knock. DME retards the timing to avoid engine damage/

DTC is traction control.. completely different systems not related.
Appreciate 1
Supermoon166.00
      03-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #11
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
You should definitely completely disable traction control when logging. The traction control (even DTC) will cause throttle closures and other performance issues that are counter productive to your logging.
Appreciate 1
Supermoon166.00