E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Rear ended - Trans brace cracked in half!

02-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

So I was in an accident where I was was rear ended going around 20mph when the other driver was going at least 40-45 mph.

Rear bumper, crash beam, and trunk lid were replaced. The day after I got the car back it developed a thumping noise in the transmission tunnel that I could feel in the peddle box area. Called the body shop who fixed the car and they said take it to the local BMW dealer.

They found the trans brace was cracked in half.
So the technician says he's going to also replace the entire driveshaft, center support bearing, Manual transmission output shaft seal, and a rear half shaft seal that was barely leaking.

So I go home and process all this. Should anything else be replaced? I'm thinking the subframe bushings and motor mounts should also be inspected and possibly replaced. I would think since they are replacing seals the fluids will also be changed. It's amazing the drivetrain as a "unit" was impacted enough to crack the transmission brace! I'm concerned about the rest of the mounts throughout the drivetrain.

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated! I plan to call my service advisor to discuss further on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

The trans brace is cast aluminum I believe which is a very easily cracked metal.

Had this happen to an older 3 series by impacting a curb on the rear wheel.

I wouldn’t read too much into it unless the trans is acting up
Appreciate 0