E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fuel pump going bad? bad gauge? or no need to panic?

06-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Dolemite79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 z06

Fuel pump going bad? bad gauge? or no need to panic?

Well I picked up a brand new 08 335i saturday morning and everything has been fine so far. Ive got about 370 miles on it and ive been very careful not to drive over 80 or rev past 4k and have made sure to vary my speeds.

Well i was downs to about a lil less than half a tank of gas and i decided to fill up because work was going to pick up the dime. I went to a cehvron and put in 93oct and started driving. I got onto the highway and drove about 10 miles and noticed that my fuel gauge went from full to 3/4. and im thinking how could i possibly have used a quater tank of gas already. I stopped for lunch and resumed my drive and as i was driving my gas gauge went back up slowly and by the time i got home it was almost full

so i ask you

1. is this a sign of a bad fuel pump
2. is it a bad gauge
3 no need to panic

i checked for leaks and found none and the gas cap was put back on correctly
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

I would say no need for panic. If anything, bad gauge, but I'm not overly convinced of that until you can repeat this problem readily.

Everything I've read indicates that if the engine is taking longer to crank though - that's indicative of a bad pump. If you're not having that problem, I wouldn't worry.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Dolemite79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I would say no need for panic. If anything, bad gauge, but I'm not overly convinced of that until you can repeat this problem readily.

Everything I've read indicates that if the engine is taking longer to crank though - that's indicative of a bad pump. If you're not having that problem, I wouldn't worry.
thanks there doesnt seem to be any other problems so hopefully it was just a one time thing
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Definitely not a bad fuel pump, and I've actually had that problem on my MDX when I put in two different branded fuels sometimes. Was your last tank of gas not Chevron?

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0